Re: LSI /Openlink .051b

  • morituri64
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2006
      <lalunas10@y...> wrote:

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64"
      <morituri32@h...> wrote:
      > [...]
      > > I'm running the above and everything was fine, all shares on the LS
      > > could be seen.
      > >
      > > I then created a new share, moved some files into it from other
      > > folders on the LS, copied some more from an XP machine onto the share.
      > >
      > > I then rebooted the LS and now XP cannot see the LS or any of it
      shares!

      > > I can still telnet into the LS and still reach its web interface.
      > >
      > > All machines have been rebooted umpteen times and the XP box can see
      > > other machines on the network.
      >
      > I guess it's either the old Windows network browser problem (takes
      up to 30 minutes for
      > shares to show up), or, less likely, Samba (the LS's SMB/CIS
      component) is struggling with
      > XP for the master browser position.
      >
      > > Below is what is currently running on the LS, is it missing anything
      >
      > Looks good to me. Try \\ipaddress.of.your.linkstation instead of
      \\linkststationname.

      > -Andre

      I've tried the IP route and it doesn't work. It cannot see the LS in
      Network Places. Also, just rebooted the LS agian and the LS name has
      changed to the default!!

      I have no idea what is going on!!
    • michael_harper75
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2006
        try doing the command ps -aux and see if the samba service is running,
        if it is vi the smb.conf file and make sure everything there is
        correct. if the service is'nt running try going to the directory
        /etc/init.d/ and typing sh samba start it should start if it doesnt
        you will see an error message that might explain the problem.

        <morituri32@...> wrote:

        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
        > <lalunas10@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64"
        > <morituri32@h...> wrote:
        > > [...]
        > > > I'm running the above and everything was fine, all shares on the LS
        > > > could be seen.
        > > >
        > > > I then created a new share, moved some files into it from other
        > > > folders on the LS, copied some more from an XP machine onto the
        share.

        > > > I then rebooted the LS and now XP cannot see the LS or any of it
        > shares!
        > > >
        > > > I can still telnet into the LS and still reach its web interface.
        > > >
        > > > All machines have been rebooted umpteen times and the XP box can see
        > > > other machines on the network.
        > >
        > > I guess it's either the old Windows network browser problem (takes
        > up to 30 minutes for
        > > shares to show up), or, less likely, Samba (the LS's SMB/CIS
        > component) is struggling with
        > > XP for the master browser position.
        > >
        > > > Below is what is currently running on the LS, is it missing anything
        > >
        > > Looks good to me. Try \\ipaddress.of.your.linkstation instead of
        > \\linkststationname.
        > >
        > > -Andre
        > >

        > I've tried the IP route and it doesn't work. It cannot see the LS in
        > Network Places. Also, just rebooted the LS agian and the LS name has
        > changed to the default!!
        >
        > I have no idea what is going on!!

      • lalunas10
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 2, 2006
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64" <morituri32@...> wrote:

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
          > <lalunas10@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64"
          > <morituri32@h...> wrote:
          > > [...]
          >
          > I've tried the IP route and it doesn't work. It cannot see the LS in
          > Network Places. Also, just rebooted the LS agian and the LS name has
          > changed to the default!!
          >
          > I have no idea what is going on!!

          Redo to web interface setup (hostname, Win setup), reboot. Technically, the hostname is
          specified in /etc/hosts, changed on reboot only (somewhat simplified, I know). You could
          edit /etc/hosts manually if you had telnet or ssh access to your LS.

          Note: Fix IP addresses are usually more reliable than DHCP. Having said that, the file to
          edit is /etc/network/interfaces (be careful with this one, you might lock yourself out!)

          -Andre
        • morituri64
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 2, 2006
            <lalunas10@...> wrote:

            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64"
            <morituri32@> wrote:

            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
            > > <lalunas10@y...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64"
            > > <morituri32@h...> wrote:
            > > > [...]
            > >
            > > I've tried the IP route and it doesn't work. It cannot see the LS in
            > > Network Places. Also, just rebooted the LS agian and the LS name has
            > > changed to the default!!
            > >
            > > I have no idea what is going on!!
            >
            > Redo to web interface setup (hostname, Win setup), reboot.
            Technically, the hostname is
            > specified in /etc/hosts, changed on reboot only (somewhat
            simplified, I know). You could
            > edit /etc/hosts manually if you had telnet or ssh access to your LS.
            >
            > Note: Fix IP addresses are usually more reliable than DHCP. Having
            said that, the file to
            > edit is /etc/network/interfaces (be careful with this one, you might
            lock yourself out!)

            > -Andre

            Hi,

            Thanks for the replies, etc/hosts is fine and the smdb and nmbd are
            both running.

            What concerns me is that the smb.conf file is empty and that the LS
            cannont be seen by any of the XP boxes on the network.

            Cheers
          • lalunas10
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 2, 2006
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64" <morituri32@...> wrote:

              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
              > <lalunas10@> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64"
              > <morituri32@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"

              > > > I've tried the IP route and it doesn't work. It cannot see the LS in
              > > > Network Places. Also, just rebooted the LS agian and the LS name has
              > > > changed to the default!!
              > > >
              > > > I have no idea what is going on!!
              > >
              > > Redo to web interface setup (hostname, Win setup), reboot.
              > Technically, the hostname is
              > > specified in /etc/hosts, changed on reboot only (somewhat
              > simplified, I know). You could
              > > edit /etc/hosts manually if you had telnet or ssh access to your LS.
              > >
              > > Note: Fix IP addresses are usually more reliable than DHCP. Having
              > said that, the file to
              > > edit is /etc/network/interfaces (be careful with this one, you might
              > lock yourself out!)
              > >
              > > -Andre
              > >

              > Hi,
              >
              > Thanks for the replies, etc/hosts is fine and the smdb and nmbd are
              > both running.
              >
              > What concerns me is that the smb.conf file is empty and that the LS
              > cannont be seen by any of the XP boxes on the network.

              Again: Recreate your shares w/ the web interface.

              PS: etc/hosts is not /etc/hosts

              -Andre
            • morituri64
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 2, 2006
                <lalunas10@...> wrote:

                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64"
                <morituri32@> wrote:

                > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
                > > <lalunas10@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64"

                LS in

                > > > Redo to web interface setup (hostname, Win setup), reboot.
                > > Technically, the hostname is
                > > > specified in /etc/hosts, changed on reboot only (somewhat
                > > simplified, I know). You could
                > > > edit /etc/hosts manually if you had telnet or ssh access to your
                LS.

                > > > Note: Fix IP addresses are usually more reliable than DHCP. Having
                > > said that, the file to
                > > > edit is /etc/network/interfaces (be careful with this one, you might
                > > lock yourself out!)
                > > >
                > > > -Andre
                > > >

                > > Hi,
                > >
                > > Thanks for the replies, etc/hosts is fine and the smdb and nmbd are
                > > both running.
                > >
                > > What concerns me is that the smb.conf file is empty and that the LS
                > > cannont be seen by any of the XP boxes on the network.
                >
                > Again: Recreate your shares w/ the web interface.
                >
                > PS: etc/hosts is not /etc/hosts
                >
                > -Andre

                Nope, can't recreate the shares as that will lose all the data and
                yes, I know about absolute paths in unix, I mean /etc/hosts. And it is
                on a static IP.

                I am more concerned about the smb.conf file, if the chkshares process
                isn't running properly and passing the details to the smb.conf file.

              • lalunas10
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 2, 2006
                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64" <morituri32@...> wrote:
                  [...]
                  > > Again: Recreate your shares w/ the web interface.
                  > >
                  > > PS: etc/hosts is not /etc/hosts
                  [...]
                  > Nope, can't recreate the shares as that will lose all the data and

                  Nope -- unless you delete any share from in the web interface!

                  To be on the safe side, you could make a backup copy before attempting. E.g., given a
                  share "/mnt/important" (a typical LS 1 path) you would issue a "cp -a /mnt/important /
                  mnt/important.BACKUP". A typical LS 2 path would look like /mnt/hda/important I guess.

                  > yes, I know about absolute paths in unix, I mean /etc/hosts. And it is
                  > on a static IP.
                  >
                  > I am more concerned about the smb.conf file, if the chkshares process
                  > isn't running properly and passing the details to the smb.conf file.

                  It's up to you to fill it... And it's much easier using the web interface, the #1 advantage of
                  OpenLink over Freelink.

                  -Andre
                • morituri64
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 2, 2006
                    <lalunas10@...> wrote:

                    > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64"
                    <morituri32@> wrote:
                    > [...]
                    > > > Again: Recreate your shares w/ the web interface.
                    > > >
                    > > > PS: etc/hosts is not /etc/hosts
                    > [...]
                    > > Nope, can't recreate the shares as that will lose all the data and
                    >
                    > Nope -- unless you delete any share from in the web interface!
                    >
                    > To be on the safe side, you could make a backup copy before
                    attempting. E.g., given a
                    > share "/mnt/important" (a typical LS 1 path) you would issue a "cp
                    -a /mnt/important /
                    > mnt/important.BACKUP". A typical LS 2 path would look like
                    /mnt/hda/important I guess.

                    > > yes, I know about absolute paths in unix, I mean /etc/hosts. And it is
                    > > on a static IP.
                    > >
                    > > I am more concerned about the smb.conf file, if the chkshares process
                    > > isn't running properly and passing the details to the smb.conf file.
                    >
                    > It's up to you to fill it... And it's much easier using the web
                    interface, the #1 advantage of
                    > OpenLink over Freelink.
                    >
                    > -Andre

                    Apologies, no idea what you mean, "it's up to me to fill it" the
                    chkshares job, runs and populates the smb.conf file.

                    How should it work?
                  • lalunas10
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 2, 2006
                      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64" <morituri32@...> wrote:

                      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
                      > <lalunas10@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64"
                      > <morituri32@> wrote:
                      > > [...]
                      > > [...]
                      > > > Nope, can't recreate the shares as that will lose all the data and
                      > >
                      > > Nope -- unless you delete any share from in the web interface!
                      > >
                      > > To be on the safe side, you could make a backup copy before
                      > attempting. E.g., given a
                      > > share "/mnt/important" (a typical LS 1 path) you would issue a "cp
                      > -a /mnt/important /
                      > > mnt/important.BACKUP". A typical LS 2 path would look like
                      > /mnt/hda/important I guess.
                      > >
                      > > > yes, I know about absolute paths in unix, I mean /etc/hosts. And it is
                      > > > on a static IP.
                      > > >
                      > > > I am more concerned about the smb.conf file, if the chkshares process
                      > > > isn't running properly and passing the details to the smb.conf file.
                      > >
                      > > It's up to you to fill it... And it's much easier using the web
                      > interface, the #1 advantage of
                      > > OpenLink over Freelink.
                      > >
                      > > -Andre
                      > >
                      > Apologies, no idea what you mean, "it's up to me to fill it" the
                      > chkshares job, runs and populates the smb.conf file.

                      What I'm trying to say is: Create shares, reboot, see if it works :)

                      > How should it work?

                      IIRC from a CGI script/the web interface, but I'm not sure since I'm on Freelink. In the
                      worst case, you could re-flash.

                      I hope this helps!

                      -Andre