Re: LSI /Openlink .051b

  • lalunas10
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2006
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64" <morituri32@h...> wrote:
      [...]
      > I'm running the above and everything was fine, all shares on the LS
      > could be seen.
      >
      > I then created a new share, moved some files into it from other
      > folders on the LS, copied some more from an XP machine onto the share.
      >
      > I then rebooted the LS and now XP cannot see the LS or any of it shares!
      >
      > I can still telnet into the LS and still reach its web interface.
      >
      > All machines have been rebooted umpteen times and the XP box can see
      > other machines on the network.

      I guess it's either the old Windows network browser problem (takes up to 30 minutes for
      shares to show up), or, less likely, Samba (the LS's SMB/CIS component) is struggling with
      XP for the master browser position.

      > Below is what is currently running on the LS, is it missing anything

      Looks good to me. Try \\ipaddress.of.your.linkstation instead of \\linkststationname.

      -Andre
    • morituri64
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2006
        <lalunas10@y...> wrote:

        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64"
        <morituri32@h...> wrote:
        > [...]
        > > I'm running the above and everything was fine, all shares on the LS
        > > could be seen.
        > >
        > > I then created a new share, moved some files into it from other
        > > folders on the LS, copied some more from an XP machine onto the share.
        > >
        > > I then rebooted the LS and now XP cannot see the LS or any of it
        shares!

        > > I can still telnet into the LS and still reach its web interface.
        > >
        > > All machines have been rebooted umpteen times and the XP box can see
        > > other machines on the network.
        >
        > I guess it's either the old Windows network browser problem (takes
        up to 30 minutes for
        > shares to show up), or, less likely, Samba (the LS's SMB/CIS
        component) is struggling with
        > XP for the master browser position.
        >
        > > Below is what is currently running on the LS, is it missing anything
        >
        > Looks good to me. Try \\ipaddress.of.your.linkstation instead of
        \\linkststationname.

        > -Andre

        I've tried the IP route and it doesn't work. It cannot see the LS in
        Network Places. Also, just rebooted the LS agian and the LS name has
        changed to the default!!

        I have no idea what is going on!!
      • michael_harper75
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2006
          try doing the command ps -aux and see if the samba service is running,
          if it is vi the smb.conf file and make sure everything there is
          correct. if the service is'nt running try going to the directory
          /etc/init.d/ and typing sh samba start it should start if it doesnt
          you will see an error message that might explain the problem.

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 2, 2006
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64" <morituri32@...> wrote:

            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
            > <lalunas10@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64"
            > <morituri32@h...> wrote:
            > > [...]
            >
            > I've tried the IP route and it doesn't work. It cannot see the LS in
            > Network Places. Also, just rebooted the LS agian and the LS name has
            > changed to the default!!
            >
            > I have no idea what is going on!!

            Redo to web interface setup (hostname, Win setup), reboot. Technically, the hostname is
            specified in /etc/hosts, changed on reboot only (somewhat simplified, I know). You could
            edit /etc/hosts manually if you had telnet or ssh access to your LS.

            Note: Fix IP addresses are usually more reliable than DHCP. Having said that, the file to
            edit is /etc/network/interfaces (be careful with this one, you might lock yourself out!)

            -Andre
          • morituri64
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 2, 2006
              <lalunas10@...> wrote:

              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64"
              <morituri32@> wrote:

              > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
              > > <lalunas10@y...> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64"
              > > <morituri32@h...> wrote:
              > > > [...]
              > >
              > > I've tried the IP route and it doesn't work. It cannot see the LS in
              > > Network Places. Also, just rebooted the LS agian and the LS name has
              > > changed to the default!!
              > >
              > > I have no idea what is going on!!
              >
              > Redo to web interface setup (hostname, Win setup), reboot.
              Technically, the hostname is
              > specified in /etc/hosts, changed on reboot only (somewhat
              simplified, I know). You could
              > edit /etc/hosts manually if you had telnet or ssh access to your LS.
              >
              > Note: Fix IP addresses are usually more reliable than DHCP. Having
              said that, the file to
              > edit is /etc/network/interfaces (be careful with this one, you might
              lock yourself out!)

              > -Andre

              Hi,

              Thanks for the replies, etc/hosts is fine and the smdb and nmbd are
              both running.

              What concerns me is that the smb.conf file is empty and that the LS
              cannont be seen by any of the XP boxes on the network.

              Cheers
            • lalunas10
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 2, 2006
                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64" <morituri32@...> wrote:

                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
                > <lalunas10@> wrote:
                > >
                > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64"
                > <morituri32@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"

                > > > I've tried the IP route and it doesn't work. It cannot see the LS in
                > > > Network Places. Also, just rebooted the LS agian and the LS name has
                > > > changed to the default!!
                > > >
                > > > I have no idea what is going on!!
                > >
                > > Redo to web interface setup (hostname, Win setup), reboot.
                > Technically, the hostname is
                > > specified in /etc/hosts, changed on reboot only (somewhat
                > simplified, I know). You could
                > > edit /etc/hosts manually if you had telnet or ssh access to your LS.
                > >
                > > Note: Fix IP addresses are usually more reliable than DHCP. Having
                > said that, the file to
                > > edit is /etc/network/interfaces (be careful with this one, you might
                > lock yourself out!)
                > >
                > > -Andre
                > >

                > Hi,
                >
                > Thanks for the replies, etc/hosts is fine and the smdb and nmbd are
                > both running.
                >
                > What concerns me is that the smb.conf file is empty and that the LS
                > cannont be seen by any of the XP boxes on the network.

                Again: Recreate your shares w/ the web interface.

                PS: etc/hosts is not /etc/hosts

                -Andre
              • morituri64
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 2, 2006
                  <lalunas10@...> wrote:

                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64"
                  <morituri32@> wrote:

                  > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
                  > > <lalunas10@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64"

                  LS in

                  > > > Redo to web interface setup (hostname, Win setup), reboot.
                  > > Technically, the hostname is
                  > > > specified in /etc/hosts, changed on reboot only (somewhat
                  > > simplified, I know). You could
                  > > > edit /etc/hosts manually if you had telnet or ssh access to your
                  LS.

                  > > > Note: Fix IP addresses are usually more reliable than DHCP. Having
                  > > said that, the file to
                  > > > edit is /etc/network/interfaces (be careful with this one, you might
                  > > lock yourself out!)
                  > > >
                  > > > -Andre
                  > > >

                  > > Hi,
                  > >
                  > > Thanks for the replies, etc/hosts is fine and the smdb and nmbd are
                  > > both running.
                  > >
                  > > What concerns me is that the smb.conf file is empty and that the LS
                  > > cannont be seen by any of the XP boxes on the network.
                  >
                  > Again: Recreate your shares w/ the web interface.
                  >
                  > PS: etc/hosts is not /etc/hosts
                  >
                  > -Andre

                  Nope, can't recreate the shares as that will lose all the data and
                  yes, I know about absolute paths in unix, I mean /etc/hosts. And it is
                  on a static IP.

                  I am more concerned about the smb.conf file, if the chkshares process
                  isn't running properly and passing the details to the smb.conf file.

                • lalunas10
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 2, 2006
                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64" <morituri32@...> wrote:
                    [...]
                    > > Again: Recreate your shares w/ the web interface.
                    > >
                    > > PS: etc/hosts is not /etc/hosts
                    [...]
                    > Nope, can't recreate the shares as that will lose all the data and

                    Nope -- unless you delete any share from in the web interface!

                    To be on the safe side, you could make a backup copy before attempting. E.g., given a
                    share "/mnt/important" (a typical LS 1 path) you would issue a "cp -a /mnt/important /
                    mnt/important.BACKUP". A typical LS 2 path would look like /mnt/hda/important I guess.

                    > yes, I know about absolute paths in unix, I mean /etc/hosts. And it is
                    > on a static IP.
                    >
                    > I am more concerned about the smb.conf file, if the chkshares process
                    > isn't running properly and passing the details to the smb.conf file.

                    It's up to you to fill it... And it's much easier using the web interface, the #1 advantage of
                    OpenLink over Freelink.

                    -Andre
                  • morituri64
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 2, 2006
                      <lalunas10@...> wrote:

                      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64"
                      <morituri32@> wrote:
                      > [...]
                      > > > Again: Recreate your shares w/ the web interface.
                      > > >
                      > > > PS: etc/hosts is not /etc/hosts
                      > [...]
                      > > Nope, can't recreate the shares as that will lose all the data and
                      >
                      > Nope -- unless you delete any share from in the web interface!
                      >
                      > To be on the safe side, you could make a backup copy before
                      attempting. E.g., given a
                      > share "/mnt/important" (a typical LS 1 path) you would issue a "cp
                      -a /mnt/important /
                      > mnt/important.BACKUP". A typical LS 2 path would look like
                      /mnt/hda/important I guess.

                      > > yes, I know about absolute paths in unix, I mean /etc/hosts. And it is
                      > > on a static IP.
                      > >
                      > > I am more concerned about the smb.conf file, if the chkshares process
                      > > isn't running properly and passing the details to the smb.conf file.
                      >
                      > It's up to you to fill it... And it's much easier using the web
                      interface, the #1 advantage of
                      > OpenLink over Freelink.
                      >
                      > -Andre

                      Apologies, no idea what you mean, "it's up to me to fill it" the
                      chkshares job, runs and populates the smb.conf file.

                      How should it work?
                    • lalunas10
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 2, 2006
                        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64" <morituri32@...> wrote:

                        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
                        > <lalunas10@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64"
                        > <morituri32@> wrote:
                        > > [...]
                        > > [...]
                        > > > Nope, can't recreate the shares as that will lose all the data and
                        > >
                        > > Nope -- unless you delete any share from in the web interface!
                        > >
                        > > To be on the safe side, you could make a backup copy before
                        > attempting. E.g., given a
                        > > share "/mnt/important" (a typical LS 1 path) you would issue a "cp
                        > -a /mnt/important /
                        > > mnt/important.BACKUP". A typical LS 2 path would look like
                        > /mnt/hda/important I guess.
                        > >
                        > > > yes, I know about absolute paths in unix, I mean /etc/hosts. And it is
                        > > > on a static IP.
                        > > >
                        > > > I am more concerned about the smb.conf file, if the chkshares process
                        > > > isn't running properly and passing the details to the smb.conf file.
                        > >
                        > > It's up to you to fill it... And it's much easier using the web
                        > interface, the #1 advantage of
                        > > OpenLink over Freelink.
                        > >
                        > > -Andre
                        > >
                        > Apologies, no idea what you mean, "it's up to me to fill it" the
                        > chkshares job, runs and populates the smb.conf file.

                        What I'm trying to say is: Create shares, reboot, see if it works :)

                        > How should it work?

                        IIRC from a CGI script/the web interface, but I'm not sure since I'm on Freelink. In the
                        worst case, you could re-flash.

                        I hope this helps!

                        -Andre