LSI /Openlink .051b

  • morituri64
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 1, 2006
      Hello All,

      I hope someone can help as I am well and truly pi**ed off!!

      I'm running the above and everything was fine, all shares on the LS
      could be seen.

      I then created a new share, moved some files into it from other
      folders on the LS, copied some more from an XP machine onto the share.

      I then rebooted the LS and now XP cannot see the LS or any of it shares!

      I can still telnet into the LS and still reach its web interface.

      All machines have been rebooted umpteen times and the XP box can see
      other machines on the network.

      Below is what is currently running on the LS, is it missing anything
      all of a sudden?

      UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME CMD
      root 1 0 0 15:57 ? 00:00:04 init
      root 2 1 0 15:57 ? 00:00:00 [keventd]
      root 3 0 0 15:57 ? 00:00:00 [ksoftirqd_CPU0]
      root 4 0 0 15:57 ? 00:00:00 [kswapd]
      root 5 0 0 15:57 ? 00:00:00 [bdflush]
      root 6 0 0 15:57 ? 00:00:00 [kupdated]
      root 8 1 0 15:57 ? 00:00:00 [khubd]
      root 10 1 0 15:57 ? 00:00:00 [kjournald]
      root 63 1 0 15:57 ? 00:00:00 [kjournald]
      root 146 1 0 15:57 ? 00:00:00 /sbin/syslogd -m 0
      root 148 1 0 15:57 ? 00:00:00 /sbin/klogd -x
      root 181 1 0 15:57 ? 00:00:00 /sbin/utelnetd -l
      /bin/login
      root 190 1 0 15:57 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/ap_servd -i eth0
      root 194 1 0 15:57 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/thttpd -C
      /etc/thttpd.
      root 206 1 0 15:57 ? 00:00:00
      /usr/local/EPKowa/printer/ekpd
      root 210 206 0 15:57 ? 00:00:00
      /usr/local/EPKowa/printer/ekpd
      root 211 210 0 15:57 ? 00:00:00
      /usr/local/EPKowa/printer/ekpd
      root 212 210 0 15:57 ? 00:00:00
      /usr/local/EPKowa/printer/ekpd
      root 213 1 0 15:57 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/cron
      root 239 1 0 15:57 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/ppc_uartd
      root 243 1 2 15:57 ? 00:00:44 slimserver
      root 245 1 0 15:57 ttyS0 00:00:00 /sbin/getty console
      root 732 1 0 16:00 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/smbd -D
      root 734 1 0 16:00 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/nmbd -D
      root 766 1 0 16:00 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/atalkd -f
      /etc/atalk/a
      root 817 1 0 16:00 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/afpd -c 1000
      -n BACKUP
      root 822 1 0 16:01 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/papd
      root 1152 181 0 16:05 pts/0 00:00:00 -bash
      root 1161 1152 0 16:25 pts/0 00:00:00 ps -ef
    • lalunas10
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2006
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64" <morituri32@h...> wrote:
        [...]
        > I'm running the above and everything was fine, all shares on the LS
        > could be seen.
        >
        > I then created a new share, moved some files into it from other
        > folders on the LS, copied some more from an XP machine onto the share.
        >
        > I then rebooted the LS and now XP cannot see the LS or any of it shares!
        >
        > I can still telnet into the LS and still reach its web interface.
        >
        > All machines have been rebooted umpteen times and the XP box can see
        > other machines on the network.

        I guess it's either the old Windows network browser problem (takes up to 30 minutes for
        shares to show up), or, less likely, Samba (the LS's SMB/CIS component) is struggling with
        XP for the master browser position.

        > Below is what is currently running on the LS, is it missing anything

        Looks good to me. Try \\ipaddress.of.your.linkstation instead of \\linkststationname.

        -Andre
      • morituri64
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2006
          <lalunas10@y...> wrote:

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64"
          <morituri32@h...> wrote:
          > [...]
          > > I'm running the above and everything was fine, all shares on the LS
          > > could be seen.
          > >
          > > I then created a new share, moved some files into it from other
          > > folders on the LS, copied some more from an XP machine onto the share.
          > >
          > > I then rebooted the LS and now XP cannot see the LS or any of it
          shares!

          > > I can still telnet into the LS and still reach its web interface.
          > >
          > > All machines have been rebooted umpteen times and the XP box can see
          > > other machines on the network.
          >
          > I guess it's either the old Windows network browser problem (takes
          up to 30 minutes for
          > shares to show up), or, less likely, Samba (the LS's SMB/CIS
          component) is struggling with
          > XP for the master browser position.
          >
          > > Below is what is currently running on the LS, is it missing anything
          >
          > Looks good to me. Try \\ipaddress.of.your.linkstation instead of
          \\linkststationname.

          > -Andre

          I've tried the IP route and it doesn't work. It cannot see the LS in
          Network Places. Also, just rebooted the LS agian and the LS name has
          changed to the default!!

          I have no idea what is going on!!
        • michael_harper75
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 1, 2006
            try doing the command ps -aux and see if the samba service is running,
            if it is vi the smb.conf file and make sure everything there is
            correct. if the service is'nt running try going to the directory
            /etc/init.d/ and typing sh samba start it should start if it doesnt
            you will see an error message that might explain the problem.

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 2, 2006
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64" <morituri32@...> wrote:

              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
              > <lalunas10@y...> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64"
              > <morituri32@h...> wrote:
              > > [...]
              >
              > I've tried the IP route and it doesn't work. It cannot see the LS in
              > Network Places. Also, just rebooted the LS agian and the LS name has
              > changed to the default!!
              >
              > I have no idea what is going on!!

              Redo to web interface setup (hostname, Win setup), reboot. Technically, the hostname is
              specified in /etc/hosts, changed on reboot only (somewhat simplified, I know). You could
              edit /etc/hosts manually if you had telnet or ssh access to your LS.

              Note: Fix IP addresses are usually more reliable than DHCP. Having said that, the file to
              edit is /etc/network/interfaces (be careful with this one, you might lock yourself out!)

              -Andre
            • morituri64
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 2, 2006
                <lalunas10@...> wrote:

                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64"
                <morituri32@> wrote:

                > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
                > > <lalunas10@y...> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64"
                > > <morituri32@h...> wrote:
                > > > [...]
                > >
                > > I've tried the IP route and it doesn't work. It cannot see the LS in
                > > Network Places. Also, just rebooted the LS agian and the LS name has
                > > changed to the default!!
                > >
                > > I have no idea what is going on!!
                >
                > Redo to web interface setup (hostname, Win setup), reboot.
                Technically, the hostname is
                > specified in /etc/hosts, changed on reboot only (somewhat
                simplified, I know). You could
                > edit /etc/hosts manually if you had telnet or ssh access to your LS.
                >
                > Note: Fix IP addresses are usually more reliable than DHCP. Having
                said that, the file to
                > edit is /etc/network/interfaces (be careful with this one, you might
                lock yourself out!)

                > -Andre

                Hi,

                Thanks for the replies, etc/hosts is fine and the smdb and nmbd are
                both running.

                What concerns me is that the smb.conf file is empty and that the LS
                cannont be seen by any of the XP boxes on the network.

                Cheers
              • lalunas10
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 2, 2006
                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64" <morituri32@...> wrote:

                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
                  > <lalunas10@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64"
                  > <morituri32@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"

                  > > > I've tried the IP route and it doesn't work. It cannot see the LS in
                  > > > Network Places. Also, just rebooted the LS agian and the LS name has
                  > > > changed to the default!!
                  > > >
                  > > > I have no idea what is going on!!
                  > >
                  > > Redo to web interface setup (hostname, Win setup), reboot.
                  > Technically, the hostname is
                  > > specified in /etc/hosts, changed on reboot only (somewhat
                  > simplified, I know). You could
                  > > edit /etc/hosts manually if you had telnet or ssh access to your LS.
                  > >
                  > > Note: Fix IP addresses are usually more reliable than DHCP. Having
                  > said that, the file to
                  > > edit is /etc/network/interfaces (be careful with this one, you might
                  > lock yourself out!)
                  > >
                  > > -Andre
                  > >

                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > Thanks for the replies, etc/hosts is fine and the smdb and nmbd are
                  > both running.
                  >
                  > What concerns me is that the smb.conf file is empty and that the LS
                  > cannont be seen by any of the XP boxes on the network.

                  Again: Recreate your shares w/ the web interface.

                  PS: etc/hosts is not /etc/hosts

                  -Andre
                • morituri64
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 2, 2006
                    <lalunas10@...> wrote:

                    > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64"
                    <morituri32@> wrote:

                    > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
                    > > <lalunas10@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64"

                    LS in

                    > > > Redo to web interface setup (hostname, Win setup), reboot.
                    > > Technically, the hostname is
                    > > > specified in /etc/hosts, changed on reboot only (somewhat
                    > > simplified, I know). You could
                    > > > edit /etc/hosts manually if you had telnet or ssh access to your
                    LS.

                    > > > Note: Fix IP addresses are usually more reliable than DHCP. Having
                    > > said that, the file to
                    > > > edit is /etc/network/interfaces (be careful with this one, you might
                    > > lock yourself out!)
                    > > >
                    > > > -Andre
                    > > >

                    > > Hi,
                    > >
                    > > Thanks for the replies, etc/hosts is fine and the smdb and nmbd are
                    > > both running.
                    > >
                    > > What concerns me is that the smb.conf file is empty and that the LS
                    > > cannont be seen by any of the XP boxes on the network.
                    >
                    > Again: Recreate your shares w/ the web interface.
                    >
                    > PS: etc/hosts is not /etc/hosts
                    >
                    > -Andre

                    Nope, can't recreate the shares as that will lose all the data and
                    yes, I know about absolute paths in unix, I mean /etc/hosts. And it is
                    on a static IP.

                    I am more concerned about the smb.conf file, if the chkshares process
                    isn't running properly and passing the details to the smb.conf file.

                  • lalunas10
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 2, 2006
                      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64" <morituri32@...> wrote:
                      [...]
                      > > Again: Recreate your shares w/ the web interface.
                      > >
                      > > PS: etc/hosts is not /etc/hosts
                      [...]
                      > Nope, can't recreate the shares as that will lose all the data and

                      Nope -- unless you delete any share from in the web interface!

                      To be on the safe side, you could make a backup copy before attempting. E.g., given a
                      share "/mnt/important" (a typical LS 1 path) you would issue a "cp -a /mnt/important /
                      mnt/important.BACKUP". A typical LS 2 path would look like /mnt/hda/important I guess.

                      > yes, I know about absolute paths in unix, I mean /etc/hosts. And it is
                      > on a static IP.
                      >
                      > I am more concerned about the smb.conf file, if the chkshares process
                      > isn't running properly and passing the details to the smb.conf file.

                      It's up to you to fill it... And it's much easier using the web interface, the #1 advantage of
                      OpenLink over Freelink.

                      -Andre
                    • morituri64
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 2, 2006
                        <lalunas10@...> wrote:

                        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64"
                        <morituri32@> wrote:
                        > [...]
                        > > > Again: Recreate your shares w/ the web interface.
                        > > >
                        > > > PS: etc/hosts is not /etc/hosts
                        > [...]
                        > > Nope, can't recreate the shares as that will lose all the data and
                        >
                        > Nope -- unless you delete any share from in the web interface!
                        >
                        > To be on the safe side, you could make a backup copy before
                        attempting. E.g., given a
                        > share "/mnt/important" (a typical LS 1 path) you would issue a "cp
                        -a /mnt/important /
                        > mnt/important.BACKUP". A typical LS 2 path would look like
                        /mnt/hda/important I guess.

                        > > yes, I know about absolute paths in unix, I mean /etc/hosts. And it is
                        > > on a static IP.
                        > >
                        > > I am more concerned about the smb.conf file, if the chkshares process
                        > > isn't running properly and passing the details to the smb.conf file.
                        >
                        > It's up to you to fill it... And it's much easier using the web
                        interface, the #1 advantage of
                        > OpenLink over Freelink.
                        >
                        > -Andre

                        Apologies, no idea what you mean, "it's up to me to fill it" the
                        chkshares job, runs and populates the smb.conf file.

                        How should it work?
                      • lalunas10
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 2, 2006
                          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64" <morituri32@...> wrote:

                          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10"
                          > <lalunas10@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "morituri64"
                          > <morituri32@> wrote:
                          > > [...]
                          > > [...]
                          > > > Nope, can't recreate the shares as that will lose all the data and
                          > >
                          > > Nope -- unless you delete any share from in the web interface!
                          > >
                          > > To be on the safe side, you could make a backup copy before
                          > attempting. E.g., given a
                          > > share "/mnt/important" (a typical LS 1 path) you would issue a "cp
                          > -a /mnt/important /
                          > > mnt/important.BACKUP". A typical LS 2 path would look like
                          > /mnt/hda/important I guess.
                          > >
                          > > > yes, I know about absolute paths in unix, I mean /etc/hosts. And it is
                          > > > on a static IP.
                          > > >
                          > > > I am more concerned about the smb.conf file, if the chkshares process
                          > > > isn't running properly and passing the details to the smb.conf file.
                          > >
                          > > It's up to you to fill it... And it's much easier using the web
                          > interface, the #1 advantage of
                          > > OpenLink over Freelink.
                          > >
                          > > -Andre
                          > >
                          > Apologies, no idea what you mean, "it's up to me to fill it" the
                          > chkshares job, runs and populates the smb.conf file.

                          What I'm trying to say is: Create shares, reboot, see if it works :)

                          > How should it work?

                          IIRC from a CGI script/the web interface, but I'm not sure since I'm on Freelink. In the
                          worst case, you could re-flash.

                          I hope this helps!

                          -Andre