Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: USB Harddisk on a Linkstation 250

  • dgronos@email.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 22, 2006
      Ian,

      How did you get the LS to view the FAT32 HDD? I could see it in the WEB interface, but there was NO folder to get into? All I did was plug my USB drive in the back USB port. Would it matter if it was an enclosure kit and not a pre made HD from a manufacturer?

      Thanks,

      Dean

    • simonashley
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 23, 2006
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ilneill" <ilneill@b...>
        wrote:

        > Thank you. That did the trick! Is is as you say "disapointing" that
        > these two units do not work together better. You are right in that
        the
        > USB HDD must be formatted before it can be used by the LS, but that
        > seems to be only if you want to write it. I was able to accessing it
        as
        > read-only while it was foermatted as FAT32.
        >
        > Ian Neill

        The Linkstation can also backup to a Drivestation formatted to FAT32.
      • Adam Alport
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 24, 2006
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "simonashley"
          <simonashley@y...> wrote:

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ilneill"
          <ilneill@b...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Thank you. That did the trick! Is is as you say "disapointing"
          that
          > > these two units do not work together better. You are right in
          that
          > the
          > > USB HDD must be formatted before it can be used by the LS, but
          that
          > > seems to be only if you want to write it. I was able to accessing
          it
          > as
          > > read-only while it was foermatted as FAT32.
          > >
          > > Ian Neill
          > >

          > The Linkstation can also backup to a Drivestation formatted to
          FAT32.

          Are you sure? I'll have to try it again some time.
          That's what I want, to be able to backup to a Drivestation and, If
          need be, connect the Drivestation to a Windows PC and recover my
          backups.

          Adam
        • Bertram Doerfler
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 24, 2006
            If you use one of the firmwares where you can telnet into your LS, you can
            change the samba scripts and the fstab file to allow writing on external usb
            drives as well as attach more than one hard drive. You will find all the
            necessary information in this forum or the linkstation wiki...

            Bertram.

          • ilneill
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 25, 2006
              Dean,

              From what I found, it is important to connect the USB HDD to the LS
              correctly:

              1. Both off
              2. Connect USB HDD to rear USB port on LS
              3. Turn on USB HDD and wait until it is completely started
              4. Turn on LS

              To see the USB HDD as a share, then go to USB/USB Disk setup and enable
              it. It will appear as a share called usbdisk1. It is not possible to
              control access to this share like other shares... it is all access or
              none.

              I hope this helps,

              Ian Neill