USB Harddisk on a Linkstation 250

  • ilneill
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 21, 2006
      Hi,

      I have a Linkstation 2 (FW v2.05) and I am trying to connect a
      Drivestation 250 via the rear USB port. The LS USB status screen sees
      the Drivestation, but none of the utilities let me access it - eg the
      USB disk does not appear in the drop down to let me select it to format
      it. Also the access led on the Drivestation is permanently lit. What is
      wrong? Any suggestions welcome... I have already tried rebooting the
      Linkstation :-(

      Ian
    • Adam Alport
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 21, 2006
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ilneill" <ilneill@b...>
        wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I have a Linkstation 2 (FW v2.05) and I am trying to connect a
        > Drivestation 250 via the rear USB port. The LS USB status screen
        sees
        > the Drivestation, but none of the utilities let me access it - eg
        the
        > USB disk does not appear in the drop down to let me select it to
        format
        > it. Also the access led on the Drivestation is permanently lit.
        What is
        > wrong? Any suggestions welcome... I have already tried rebooting
        the
        > Linkstation :-(
        >
        > Ian

        Hello

        The power mode switch on the back of the drivestation needs to be set
        to Manual, and the drivestation needs to be turned on and "booted up"
        before the Linkstation is turned on. Yes... rubbish isn't it.
        The "Auto switch on" works great with a PC but doesn't work attached
        to a Linkstation!
        Also,(I'm sure I'm right in saying), to use the Drivestation with the
        Linkstation fully you need to format it using the linkstation. Once
        formatted it can no longer be read when attached to a PC. (again,
        rubbish)
        Individually the Linkstation and Drivestation are great, but together
        a disappointment.

        Adam
      • ilneill
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 22, 2006
          Thank you. That did the trick! Is is as you say "disapointing" that
          these two units do not work together better. You are right in that the
          USB HDD must be formatted before it can be used by the LS, but that
          seems to be only if you want to write it. I was able to accessing it as
          read-only while it was foermatted as FAT32.

          Ian Neill
        • dgronos@email.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 22, 2006
            Ian,

            How did you get the LS to view the FAT32 HDD? I could see it in the WEB interface, but there was NO folder to get into? All I did was plug my USB drive in the back USB port. Would it matter if it was an enclosure kit and not a pre made HD from a manufacturer?

            Thanks,

            Dean

          • simonashley
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 23, 2006
              wrote:

              > Thank you. That did the trick! Is is as you say "disapointing" that
              > these two units do not work together better. You are right in that
              the
              > USB HDD must be formatted before it can be used by the LS, but that
              > seems to be only if you want to write it. I was able to accessing it
              as
              > read-only while it was foermatted as FAT32.
              >
              > Ian Neill

              The Linkstation can also backup to a Drivestation formatted to FAT32.
            • Adam Alport
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 24, 2006
                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "simonashley"
                <simonashley@y...> wrote:

                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ilneill"
                <ilneill@b...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Thank you. That did the trick! Is is as you say "disapointing"
                that
                > > these two units do not work together better. You are right in
                that
                > the
                > > USB HDD must be formatted before it can be used by the LS, but
                that
                > > seems to be only if you want to write it. I was able to accessing
                it
                > as
                > > read-only while it was foermatted as FAT32.
                > >
                > > Ian Neill
                > >

                > The Linkstation can also backup to a Drivestation formatted to
                FAT32.

                Are you sure? I'll have to try it again some time.
                That's what I want, to be able to backup to a Drivestation and, If
                need be, connect the Drivestation to a Windows PC and recover my
                backups.

                Adam
              • Bertram Doerfler
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 24, 2006
                  If you use one of the firmwares where you can telnet into your LS, you can
                  change the samba scripts and the fstab file to allow writing on external usb
                  drives as well as attach more than one hard drive. You will find all the
                  necessary information in this forum or the linkstation wiki...

                  Bertram.

                • ilneill
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 25, 2006
                    Dean,

                    From what I found, it is important to connect the USB HDD to the LS
                    correctly:

                    1. Both off
                    2. Connect USB HDD to rear USB port on LS
                    3. Turn on USB HDD and wait until it is completely started
                    4. Turn on LS

                    To see the USB HDD as a share, then go to USB/USB Disk setup and enable
                    it. It will appear as a share called usbdisk1. It is not possible to
                    control access to this share like other shares... it is all access or
                    none.

                    I hope this helps,

                    Ian Neill