Re: Security Question?

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 20, 2006
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "dgronos" <dgronos@e...>
      wrote:

      > How easy is it to gain access to it via my router? Either port
      > scanning or any other hacker method?

      It can be made difficult to hack into. Nothing is 100% secure, not
      even your 1-ton safe hidden in your house (or better yet, someone
      breaking in and actually stealing your LS!).

      > I want to use the FTP option, but that makes me even
      > more nervous.

      Read up on any security problems that the version of ProFTP that is on
      the LS has (they may be very minor, other than the major issues with
      unsecure FTP in general). Of course with FTP exposed to the Internet,
      make sure you never use a username/password combination with it that
      you don't mind making public, also make sure the content of any
      tranfers you do with it you don't mind making public (hint:
      pre-encrypt your files with PKZIP before transfering)

      > For example the other day it was on my computer and I was working on
      > an email and the LinkStation started up and the fan turned on?
      > Nobody in my house was accessing it?

      There are various logging functions going on that the LS will do, also
      it might be possible that the LS has become the "Master Browser" for
      your Windows network, which means it needs to take a role call of what
      computers are on your network every so often. Of course there might
      be other things going on too.

      > Was it being searched?

      If you have either a "Cable" or "Wireless" high speed Internet, you
      need to make sure you have the Windows Networking ports blocked. This
      would be ports 137-139 (any others?), otherwise other users in your
      neighborhood might be able to get right into your network. DSL is
      usually more secure by using PPP protocol, but blocking these ports
      always a good idea.

      If you don't want the public to access the LS's web interface, then
      you probably should block port 80 too. Note that with 80 open, with
      certain older versions of the LS firmware, people can completely take
      over your LS!

      > Sorry for being a scaredy cat but I don't want to set my personal
      > files up for easy access.

      Good security practice is to only open router ports to your LS that
      you really need, then pay attention to the services you opened access
      to. For example with the above mentioned FTP, if you open this to the
      Internet, then read up on all the security issues and learn how to
      make it work for you given its security limitations.

      Finally, I'm NOT a security expert, so hopefully others can comment on
      this too.