LinkStation vs Kuro Box

  • Greg Montgomery
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 17, 2006
      If you had a choice between the Linkstation or a Kuro Box with the same specs and same size
      hard drive. Price not being a deciding factor here. Any thoughts as to which is the better
      unit?

      I know the Kuro Box is made for it's openess and ability to install packages on. But is there
      anything it can do that the Linkstation can't? What about vice versa?

      I assume the linkstation, straight out of the box is easier to set up and work with? Or are
      both units really about the same?

      Greg
    • James Ronald
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 18, 2006
        If we are talking about HGs they are basically the same. The Kuro, is black
        (Cool), you can install a better or your own hard drive(cool), the power
        cord can not be removed (not cool). The Linkstation is easier to setup
        initially.

        JR
        > If you had a choice between the Linkstation or a Kuro Box with the same
        > specs and same size
        > hard drive. Price not being a deciding factor here. Any thoughts as to
        > which is the better
        > unit?
        >
        > I know the Kuro Box is made for it's openess and ability to install
        > packages on. But is there
        > anything it can do that the Linkstation can't? What about vice versa?
        >
        > I assume the linkstation, straight out of the box is easier to set up and
        > work with? Or are
        > both units really about the same?
        >
        > Greg
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Arias Hung
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 21, 2006
          On Wed, 18 Jan 2006, James Ronald delivered in simple text monotype:

          >If we are talking about HGs they are basically the same. The Kuro, is black
          >(Cool), you can install a better or your own hard drive(cool), the power
          >cord can not be removed (not cool). The Linkstation is easier to setup
          >initially.
          >
          >JR

          <---snip--->

          I should add that the key difference is that the kurobox has telnet enabled in EM
          mode whereas the linkstation does not.
        • Fr0 D. Wanker
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 31, 2006
            Another big difference is that the Kuro is running
            2.4.17, while the Linkstation is running 2.4.20. You
            can kexec a new kernel in using the loader.o kernel
            module, so it isn't that big of a downside.

            Also, in Japan they're starting to offer the Kuro X
            and HG/X, which are Kuroboxes with the detachable
            power brick.

            http://mail.yahoo.com