Re: [LinkStation_General] LAME

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 6, 2004
      --- ianlawton68 <ianlawton68@...> wrote:

      > Ive set up my LinkStation with SlimServer 5.4 and
      > when I stream
      > locally it works really well however across the
      > internet the sound
      > is very choppy an distorted. I therefore think I
      > need to install
      > LAME on my LS in order take advantage of the Bitrate
      > Limiting.

      I wonder if there is enough processor power left over
      in the LS to run LAME while streaming?

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Roy M. Silvernail
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 6, 2004
        James Stewart wrote:

        >--- ianlawton68 <ianlawton68@...> wrote:
        >

        >>Ive set up my LinkStation with SlimServer 5.4 and
        >>when I stream
        >>locally it works really well however across the
        >>internet the sound
        >>is very choppy an distorted. I therefore think I
        >>need to install
        >>LAME on my LS in order take advantage of the Bitrate
        >>Limiting.
        >>

        >I wonder if there is enough processor power left over
        >in the LS to run LAME while streaming?

        I set up SlimServer and LAME on my Kuro Box. Unfortunately, without a
        floating-point unit, LAME compiles to a very inefficient integer-only
        version. While down-converting to 64kB/s, CPU was saturated at 100%,
        with 85% going to LAME and I got frequent stalls in the stream. I moved
        SlimServer back to the desktop and dedicated the KB to other uses.

        --
        Roy M. Silvernail is roy@..., and you're not
        "It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFT
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 7, 2004
          Ian,

          Can I ask what file types you are trying to stream?

          I have an 512/256 adsl connection, and have happily streamed 128kb MP3's across the Internet with no problems, when running slimserver 5.4. And using and iTunes client at the other end.

          Mike.

          Ianlawton68 <ianlawton68@...> wrote :

          > Ive set up my LinkStation with SlimServer 5.4 and when I stream
          > locally it works really well however across the internet the sound
          > is very choppy an distorted. I therefore think I need to install
          > LAME on my LS in order take advantage of the Bitrate Limiting.
          >
          > Has anyone done this, how did you do it and do you know where I can
          > get the correct version of the binaries in order to do this?
          >
          > Or is there another way around my problem?
          >
          > Thanks for any advice
          >
          > Ian

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • ianlawton68
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 7, 2004
            These were 192kbps MP3s. I might try it with lesser MP3s and see if
            it works.

            Cheers

            Ian

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Michael Bell <mike@m...>

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 7, 2004
              Roy would you mind sending me the binaries and how to set them up? I
              would really like to try it. If it doesnt stream I'm considering
              creating an offline process to put the downgraded file into a
              temporary table and stream that.

              Cheers

              Ian

              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Roy M. Silvernail"
              <roy@r...> wrote:
              > James Stewart wrote:
              >
              > >--- ianlawton68 <ianlawton68@h...> wrote:
              > >

              > >>Ive set up my LinkStation with SlimServer 5.4 and
              > >>when I stream
              > >>locally it works really well however across the
              > >>internet the sound
              > >>is very choppy an distorted. I therefore think I
              > >>need to install
              > >>LAME on my LS in order take advantage of the Bitrate
              > >>Limiting.
              > >>

              > >I wonder if there is enough processor power left over
              > >in the LS to run LAME while streaming?
              > >

              > I set up SlimServer and LAME on my Kuro Box. Unfortunately,
              without a
              > floating-point unit, LAME compiles to a very inefficient integer-
              only
              > version. While down-converting to 64kB/s, CPU was saturated at
              100%,
              > with 85% going to LAME and I got frequent stalls in the stream. I
              moved
              > SlimServer back to the desktop and dedicated the KB to other uses.
              >
              > --
              > Roy M. Silvernail is roy@r..., and you're not
              > "It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFT
              > SpamAssassin->procmail->/dev/null->bliss
              > http://www.rant-central.com
            • Roy M. Silvernail
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 7, 2004
                On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 17:45:41 -0000
                "ianlawton68" <ianlawton68@...> wrote:

                > Roy would you mind sending me the binaries and how to set them up? I
                > would really like to try it. If it doesnt stream I'm considering
                > creating an offline process to put the downgraded file into a
                > temporary table and stream that.

                Unfortunately, I've since converted my KB to Gentoo and I didn't save
                the binaries. But as I recall, all I did was to install the binaries
                set from the Revogear website (so I'd have a compiler), download the
                LAME sources and compile them (./configure;make;make install). I'd
                compile a fresh set, but I doubt the libs would match up.
                --
                Roy, from a field-expedient Feather system
              • ianlawton68
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 7, 2004
                  OK, Thanks anyway.

                  has anyone else got the LAME binaries please? I would really
                  appreciate it as I dont have a development environment set up yet.