Re: [LinkStation_General] Upgrading Firmware and Hard Drive + samba 3.0.9 + repartitioning

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 6, 2004
      --- Wilson <sonsondei@...> wrote:

      > thx...after spending my weekend with the LS, I
      > figure
      > out that the HD must need to take out and totally
      > wipe
      > off the root partition (dd if=/dev/zero
      > of=/dev/hda1)
      > from a desktop. Also, no matter what partition you
      > already fdisk in desktop (/, swap and /mnt) the
      > firmware will just repartition it for you...so you
      > can't set up yourself a very hard root
      > partition...and
      > symbolic links will be the only way to /mnt/xxx
      > extend
      > it.

      I did set up custom partitions on a "test" hard drive
      a couple of weeks ago. I then installed the Debian
      "Woody" tarbell on it that I found on a Japanese site
      and everything booted okay with out triggering a whole
      system rebuild process. One key might have been that
      they sent a command to the AVR watchdog timer on
      bootup indicating everything is OK (or at least I
      think that is what the command did). There is also a
      string that needs to be stored in the one of the flash
      memory regions to indicate that the disk is okay if
      the LS had previously determined that it wasn't.

      I'm still learning all this too, so there may be some
      errors in what I just told you.

      > I had set up the /mnt/dev-root folder and chroot to
      > it
      > to compile the latest samba 3.0.9 without problem.
      > Just did ./configure without any options, and I
      > packed
      > myself a samba-3.0.9-ppc.tar.gz so that I can use
      > and
      > recover from it in the future..as it takes really
      > long
      > time to compile it (with the slow CPU and memory)
      > As
      > playing with the new samba, I just change the path
      > in
      > /etc/init.d/smb and make a link from
      > /etc/samba/smb.conf to /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
      >
      > which works perfectly now..and I can use unicode
      > filename....

      Very good! You also benefit from all the other things
      in Samba 3 verses Samba 2.

      > One thing I found out is the /etc/init.d/ckshare
      > script will call in every system boot up (rcS.d) to
      > generate a new samba configuration file..and it'll
      > make all of your directories right under /mnt to be
      > publicly accessible (like the default info and
      > share),
      > so I just need to comment the samba part out from
      > that
      > file and it won't generate the samba conf file for
      > me
      > anymore until it's been touched by the web pages.

      Good find. I think I had found the version of the
      config file that chkshare keeps trying to replace it
      with and changed that one instead. All the more
      reason why I've never liked the original OS that is on
      the LS. It seems I'm always fighting with it.

      > Also the other thing is..no matter which locale you
      > set in web, it'll still use shift-jis as codepage
      > and
      > code 935 in samba...so I think it's much more better
      > to use SWAT to manage samba in the future then.

      Yes, I too think SWAT is the way to go. It's nicer,
      gives you more power over your windows filesharing
      than you would ever want, and includes lots of web
      based documentation on how to use it too.

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • stratmoens
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 6, 2004
        If possible could you post your gzipped samba build to the files
        section. The lack of unicode support is causing me a great deal of
        problems....

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Wilson <sonsondei@y...>
        wrote:

        > I had set up the /mnt/dev-root folder and chroot to it
        > to compile the latest samba 3.0.9 without problem.
        > Just did ./configure without any options, and I packed
        > myself a samba-3.0.9-ppc.tar.gz so that I can use and
        > recover from it in the future..as it takes really long
        > time to compile it (with the slow CPU and memory) As
        > playing with the new samba, I just change the path in
        > /etc/init.d/smb and make a link from
        > /etc/samba/smb.conf to /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
        > which works perfectly now..and I can use unicode
        > filename....
      • sonsondei
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 7, 2004
          The file is 15MB tar gzipped. I can't post to the group as it
          limits to 5MB upload only. I don't know if I can post via email via
          yahoo.com..or it limits to 10MB? I'll see.

          Wilson

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "stratmoens"