quieting down the linkstation

  • duncankh
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 8, 2006
      I've had my linkstation 250gb for about a year now, and recently its
      become a bit noisy. The cause of the noise was the annoying little
      fan on the back. I guess it going 24/7/365 its gotten worn out or
      something. So i found a replacement fan, (the northbridge fan off my
      motherboard which I'm not using) cut the wires on the linkstation fan,
      and replaced it with a Abit fan.
      Now its like brand new, can only hear the harddisk spinning, which I
      think replacing it with a Samsung Spinpoint will totally silence it.
      Currently have a SATA one in my computer and its dead silent when
      idle. Too bad the largest size they have is 250gb.

      So to sum up, best thing to do if you got a noisy fan I guess is to
      replace it with a better quality one, rather than installing fan
      control software.
    • haggerty_g
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 20, 2006
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "duncankh"
        <duncan888@h...> wrote:

        > I've had my linkstation 250gb for about a year now, and recently
        its
        > become a bit noisy. The cause of the noise was the annoying
        little
        > fan on the back. I guess it going 24/7/365 its gotten worn out or
        > something. So i found a replacement fan, (the northbridge fan off
        my
        > motherboard which I'm not using) cut the wires on the linkstation
        fan,
        > and replaced it with a Abit fan.
        > Now its like brand new, can only hear the harddisk spinning,
        which I
        > think replacing it with a Samsung Spinpoint will totally silence
        it.
        > Currently have a SATA one in my computer and its dead silent when
        > idle. Too bad the largest size they have is 250gb.
        >
        > So to sum up, best thing to do if you got a noisy fan I guess is
        > replace it with a better quality one, rather than installing fan
        > control software.

        Hi

        take a look at this link ... there is a lot that can be done to
        quieten down the linkstation !
        http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/3_429_0.html

        Cheers