Re: [LinkStation_General] Restart on Power Failure?!

  • Schelte Bron
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 7, 2006
      On Saturday 07 January 2006 00:11, KeepIt SimpleStupid wrote:
      > Try this on for size:
      >
      > Disconnect the switch from the non ground side. Label
      > the switch point (b) and the circuit board side point
      > (b).
      >
      > Connect the anodes of two 1n4001 diodes together and
      > connect to point (b).
      >
      > Connect the cathode of one of the diodes to point (a).
      >
      > Connect the cathode of the other to your cap and the
      > negative of the cap to ground.
      >
      > In this case the diodes create isolation and there is
      > no issue of a cap across the switch.
      >
      > If you cannot unsolder both ends of the switch, then
      > go to plan (b).
      >
      > Obtain p/n CNC1H001CT-ND from www.digi-key.com.
      > Connect pins 4 and 6 across the switch. Polarity
      > doesn't matter.
      >
      > Make R=(Vcc-1.2)/10mA. Vcc could be 3.3, 5 or even
      > 12V and pull this resistor to this voltage. Connect
      > the other end of this resistor to pin #1 and a cap
      > from pin 2 to ground observing polarity. Make 5 * R *
      > C about equal to (0.1 to 0.5 where R is in ohms, and C
      > is in Farads.

      Thanks for thinking along with me, but I think there's a slight
      miscommunication. The setup I proposed works, is about as
      simple as it gets and has a reasonable reset time (3 seconds).
      My only question was if anyone sees any problems with that
      design.

      If you look at the picture I included in the wiki article you
      will see that your plan A is not going to work because
      unsoldering the switch cannot be done without a big risk of
      damaging the LS.

      Your plan B doesn't sound simpler than my proposal and I don't
      see how it could work. The part number you mentioned is a 16
      pin SMD 4-port opto-isolator and you seem to be using pins from
      different ports. I assume you meant something like p/n H11F1-ND
      or similar, but then the circuit is still more complicated than
      mine and I don't see any advantages.

      So unless you can point me to any dangers for the LS using my
      setup, I'm going to go with that.

      Thanks,
      Schelte.
    • KeepIt SimpleStupid
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 7, 2006
        --- Schelte Bron <sbron@...> wrote:

        > On Saturday 07 January 2006 00:11, KeepIt
        > SimpleStupid wrote:
        > > Try this on for size:
        > >
        > > Disconnect the switch from the non ground side.
        > Label
        > > the switch point (b) and the circuit board side
        > point
        > > (b).
        > >
        > > Connect the anodes of two 1n4001 diodes together
        > and
        > > connect to point (b).
        > >
        > > Connect the cathode of one of the diodes to point
        > (a).
        > >
        > > Connect the cathode of the other to your cap and
        > the
        > > negative of the cap to ground.
        > >
        > > In this case the diodes create isolation and there
        > is
        > > no issue of a cap across the switch.
        > >
        > > If you cannot unsolder both ends of the switch,
        > then
        > > go to plan (b).
        > >
        > > Obtain p/n CNC1H001CT-ND from www.digi-key.com.
        > > Connect pins 4 and 6 across the switch. Polarity
        > > doesn't matter.
        > >
        > > Make R=(Vcc-1.2)/10mA. Vcc could be 3.3, 5 or
        > even
        > > 12V and pull this resistor to this voltage.
        > Connect
        > > the other end of this resistor to pin #1 and a cap
        > > from pin 2 to ground observing polarity. Make 5 *
        > R *
        > > C about equal to (0.1 to 0.5 where R is in ohms,
        > and C
        > > is in Farads.
        > >
        > Thanks for thinking along with me, but I think
        > there's a slight
        > miscommunication. The setup I proposed works, is
        > about as
        > simple as it gets and has a reasonable reset time (3
        > seconds).
        > My only question was if anyone sees any problems
        > with that
        > design.
        >
        > If you look at the picture I included in the wiki
        > article you
        > will see that your plan A is not going to work
        > because
        > unsoldering the switch cannot be done without a big
        > risk of
        > damaging the LS.
        >
        > Your plan B doesn't sound simpler than my proposal
        > and I don't
        > see how it could work. The part number you mentioned
        > is a 16
        > pin SMD 4-port opto-isolator and you seem to be
        > using pins from
        > different ports. I assume you meant something like
        > p/n H11F1-ND
        > or similar, but then the circuit is still more
        > complicated than
        > mine and I don't see any advantages.
        >
        > So unless you can point me to any dangers for the LS
        > using my
        > setup, I'm going to go with that.

        Your correct with the part number that you selected.
        So one cap, 1 IC and 2 resistors you should have
        something that works and keeps the functionality of
        the button.

        Many years ago, like 20, I used this technique to turn
        off an audio processor when the AMP turned off. I
        also had the ability to turn the audio system on via
        the processors remote, Still works.
        Weird switches (Dedicated off)
        ON (one push -20 db, 2nd push 0 db)
        Since the circuitry was external, isolation was
        important,

        Thanks for catching the errors.

        KISS

        > Thanks,