format of /sbin/shutdown command

  • Jon Nicoll
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 3, 2006
      Hi All
      I tried to get my Openlink MIPS linkstation to shutdown in 100
      minutes by using shutdown:

      root@GONZO:/# shutdown -h +100 &
      [1] 315
      root@GONZO:/#
      Broadcast message from root (pts/2) (Wed Jan 4 00:11:42 2006):

      The system is going DOWN for system halt in 90 minutes!

      but then it seemed to shutdown in a much shorter period of time - 100
      seconds, maybe. What format should I use for this?

      Thanks
      jon N
    • Tony Morehen
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 3, 2006
        I have sucessfully implemented a Tivo media server on my PPC Linkstation.  This media server let's your Tivo play MP3 files and display pictures saved on your Linkstation.

        What you need:
        1) ppctools or mipstools from LinkStationwiki
        2) LibJpeg from:  jpegsrc.v6b.tar.gz at http://www.ijg.org/files/
        • do the ususal ./configure; make; make install.
        • You must also make install-lib
        3) ImageMagick-6.2.5-5.tar.gz from http://www.imagemagick.org/script/download.php
        • again, do the ususal ./configure; make; make install.
        4) byRequest tivo HMO server at http://sourceforge.net/projects/byrequest/
        • edit the Makefile to set DESTDIR to the location where you want the media server installed.  I recommend /usr/local/bin
        • do make; make install
        • copy byRequest.conf to /etc; edit the image: and audio: lines to the locations where you store your files.  Note: your shares are subfolders of the /mnt folder.  I recommend commenting out the virtual: line as the virtual audio folders (for artist, album and title) run very very slow on the Linkstation.
        • start the server with
                    /usr/local/bin/byRequest /etc/byRequest.conf -preload
        • You should set up a script in init.d to start/stop the byRequest daemon and the appropriate symlinks in /rc.d/rc2.d (start) and rc0.d and rc6.d (both stop or kill) in order to start the daemon when the Linkstation restarts.
        --
        Tony Morehen
        11414 118A Street
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 3, 2006
          Hey thanks!

          I just got a TiVo and was looking for something like this. Your
          instructions worked perfectly, although I already had all the
          dependent stuff already. I now have photo's and music streaming from
          my LS to my TiVo.
        • nshing_ny
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 7, 2006
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Tony Morehen
            <tmorehen@s...> wrote:

            > I have sucessfully implemented a Tivo media server on my PPC
            > Linkstation. This media server let's your Tivo play MP3 files and
            > display pictures saved on your Linkstation.
            >
            > What you need:
            > 1) ppctools or mipstools from LinkStationwiki
            > 2) LibJpeg from: jpegsrc.v6b.tar.gz at http://www.ijg.org/files/
            >
            > * do the ususal ./configure; make; make install.
            > * You must also make install-lib
            >
            > 3) ImageMagick-6.2.5-5.tar.gz from
            > http://www.imagemagick.org/script/download.php
            >
            > * again, do the ususal ./configure; make; make install.
            >
            > 4) byRequest tivo HMO server at
            http://sourceforge.net/projects/byrequest/

            > * edit the Makefile to set DESTDIR to the location where you want
            > the media server installed. I recommend /usr/local/bin
            > * do make; make install
            > * copy byRequest.conf to /etc; edit the image: and audio: lines to
            > the locations where you store your files. Note: your shares are
            > subfolders of the /mnt folder. I recommend commenting out the
            > virtual: line as the virtual audio folders (for artist, album and
            > title) run very very slow on the Linkstation.
            > * start the server with
            >
            > /usr/local/bin/byRequest /etc/byRequest.conf -preload
            >
            > * You should set up a script in init.d to start/stop the byRequest
            > daemon and the appropriate symlinks in /rc.d/rc2.d (start) and
            > rc0.d and rc6.d (both stop or kill) in order to start the daemon
            > when the Linkstation restarts.
            >
            > --
            > Tony Morehen
            > 11414 118A Street
            > Edmonton, AB, T5G3J2
            > tmorehen@s...

            Tony,

            I'm a newbie with regard to hacking the Linkstation. My goal was to
            follow your instructions to setup a Tivo Media Server on my
            Linkstation. I reviewed the information on this forum and the
            information on the linkstationwiki site and found that I had a PPC
            Linkstation with firmware 1.44.

            I was able to follow the instructions to get root access to my
            Linkstation without any problems.

            I downloaded the ppc-tools-2.0 tools from linkstationwiki and followed
            the installation instructions. I next downloaded the
            jpegsrc.v6b.tar.gz package and then tried to perform the configure and
            failed with the following error message:

            gcc: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3' not found (required by gcc)

            It looks like the compiler installation failed. Any help would be
            greatly appreciated. If I can't get the compiler configured
            correctly, is it possbile to get the PPC binaries for the Tivo Media
            Server setup?

            Thanks,
            Norman
          • Tony Morehen
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 8, 2006
              I overlooked a step that I did independently severl weeks ago. You also
              need to update to the openlink firmware (ppc-openlink-0.52b) from
              linkstationwike.org. That installation adds the needed libraries like
              glibc2.3. The compiled binaries that I have will need the same libraries.

              Tony Morehen
              11414 118A Street
              Edmonton, AB, T5G3J2
              tmorehen@...
            • nshing_ny
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 9, 2006
                <tmorehen@s...> wrote:

                > I overlooked a step that I did independently severl weeks ago. You
                also
                > need to update to the openlink firmware (ppc-openlink-0.52b) from
                > linkstationwike.org. That installation adds the needed libraries
                like
                > glibc2.3. The compiled binaries that I have will need the same
                libraries.

                Tony,

                Thanks for the reply. I did the openlink firmware (pp-openlink-
                0.52b) update and was able to compile the tools you listed. I have
                byRequest working with by Tivo Series 2.

                Playback of mp3s are working find, but the display of pictures and
                thumbnails are very slow. Are you experiencing the same behavior?

                Thanks,
                Norman
              • Tony Morehen
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 9, 2006
                  They are slow. It's a function of the slow (relatively) processor in
                  the linkstation.

                  Here's what happens:

                  1. The Tivo requests a list of all of the pictures in the directory.
                  2. For each picture file, the Tivo requests a jpeg of a specific,
                  thumbnail size.
                  3. The Linkstation converts the ful size picture size to the
                  requested size and sends it off to the Tivo.
                  4. The Tivo waits until it gets all of the thumbnails before
                  displaying them.
                  5. A similar picture size request and conversion goes on whenever the
                  Tivo displays a picture ie when you select a picture or do a slide
                  show.

                  Picture size conversion is processor intensive and takes some time on
                  the Linkstation just over a second for a thumbnail. In other words,
                  there's not much we can do.

                  MP3s on the other hand are sent over the network as is. The only role
                  for the Linkstation is to act as a fileserver. In this case, network
                  transfer speed is the limitation, not the Linkstation processor.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 10, 2006
                    <tmorehen@s...> wrote:

                    > They are slow. It's a function of the slow (relatively) processor
                    in
                    > the linkstation.
                    >
                    > Here's what happens:
                    >
                    > 1. The Tivo requests a list of all of the pictures in the
                    directory.
                    > 2. For each picture file, the Tivo requests a jpeg of a
                    specific,
                    > thumbnail size.
                    > 3. The Linkstation converts the ful size picture size to the
                    > requested size and sends it off to the Tivo.
                    > 4. The Tivo waits until it gets all of the thumbnails before
                    > displaying them.
                    > 5. A similar picture size request and conversion goes on
                    whenever the
                    > Tivo displays a picture ie when you select a picture or do a
                    slide
                    > show.
                    >
                    > Picture size conversion is processor intensive and takes some time
                    on
                    > the Linkstation just over a second for a thumbnail. In other
                    words,
                    > there's not much we can do.
                    >
                    > MP3s on the other hand are sent over the network as is. The only
                    role
                    > for the Linkstation is to act as a fileserver. In this case,
                    network
                    > transfer speed is the limitation, not the Linkstation processor.
                    >
                    > nshing_ny wrote:
                    >
                    > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Tony Morehen
                    > > <tmorehen@s...> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > I overlooked a step that I did independently severl weeks ago.
                    You
                    > > also
                    > > > need to update to the openlink firmware (ppc-openlink-0.52b)
                    from
                    > > > linkstationwike.org. That installation adds the needed
                    libraries
                    > > like
                    > > > glibc2.3. The compiled binaries that I have will need the same
                    > > libraries.
                    > >
                    > > Tony,
                    > >
                    > > Thanks for the reply. I did the openlink firmware (pp-openlink-
                    > > 0.52b) update and was able to compile the tools you listed. I
                    have
                    > > byRequest working with by Tivo Series 2.
                    > >
                    > > Playback of mp3s are working find, but the display of pictures and
                    > > thumbnails are very slow. Are you experiencing the same behavior?
                    > >
                    > > Thanks,
                    > > Norman

                    > > Buffalo linkstation
                    > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                    t=ms&k=Buffalo+linkstation&w1=Buffalo+linkstation&w2=Communication+and
                    +networking&c=2&s=59&.sig=r2CzGJvdC2av3mUUFW_Dfg>
                    > > Communication and networking
                    > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                    t=ms&k=Communication+and+networking&w1=Buffalo+linkstation&w2=Communic
                    ation+and+networking&c=2&s=59&.sig=PnautBytSHe2Zj97cMHLqg>

                    subject=Unsubscribe>

                    ------

                    > --
                    > Tony Morehen
                    > 11414 118A Street
                    > Edmonton, AB, T5G3J2
                    > tmorehen@s...

                    Tony,

                    Thanks for the information. I decided to disable the image handling
                    that byRequest does. Based upon the speed that jpeg's are delivered
                    to the Tivo, I felt that it wasn't worth the tying up Linkstation
                    resources.

                    In any case. I happy with the way that mp3's are being served to my
                    Tivo's.

                    Thanks again,
                    Norman
                  • Tony Morehen
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 10, 2006
                      One other issue that has cropped up with the standard byRequest media
                      server installation:

                      My TiVo would lose track of the media server and I would get messages
                      such as no media server found at the Linkstation's network address. I
                      could get the server back by deleting the server and doing another
                      manual add server.

                      There is a better fix:
                      in the byRequest.conf file there is a line "#port:8080". Remove the "#"
                      (uncomment the line) and restart the byRequest server. Your server
                      should now be available to the TiVo on a permanent basis.

                      Why this works:
                      TiVo servers and clients broadcast "here I am messages" on port 2190
                      about once a minute. Clients use those messages to set up permanent
                      connections with the server. Those permanent connections should be on a
                      port other than 2190. Otherwise, the "here I am broadcast will break
                      the connection. This was what was happening with the default byRequest
                      installation. It was running both the "here I am" and permanent
                      connection on port 2190. When the "here I am" broke the permaent
                      connection, the TiVo seems to be unable to restore the permanent
                      connection unless you delete and re-add the server. Uncommenting the
                      port line as described above shifts the permanent connection to port
                      8080. Note if your system uses 8080 for something else, substitute
                      another port close to that number.

                      Tony Morehen
                      11414 118A Street
                      Edmonton, AB, T5G3J2