Re: [LinkStation_General] How to access LS from the Internet ?

  • KeepIt SimpleStupid
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2006
      --- lifeisfuneh <lifeisfuneh@...> wrote:

      > Is there way to access my LS configuration from
      > outside ?
      > I access my router config page but how do I do that
      > with LS ?
      >
      > Thanks

      I'll try to help without getting too complicated.

      Take a look here for a list of common ports.

      http://www.granneman.com/techinfo/networking/commonports.htm

      Now that your looking here, I'll make a statement.

      http:// is the same as port 80

      an example:

      http://www.google.com is identical to
      www.google.com:80 and http is the default service in a
      browser.

      So what?

      Here lies the problem. You likely only have one IP
      address and you can't have two web browsers at the
      same address looking in from the outside.

      Steps: Give LS a fixed IP address on your internal
      network and lets say its 10.0.1.3. If using DHCP, you
      can give devices a very long lease time so for all
      intents and purposes it has a fixed IP address.

      In your router you have the ability to port map.

      So you map the public port (say 8000) to the private
      IP address of 10.0.1.3 and the private port (80)

      So, to access the http: service on a device with the
      private IP address of 10.0.1.3 you type in a browser
      <my public ip address>:8000 and your there. You
      cannot do this from within your network.

      This is an over simplification. Use public ports
      above, I believe 1000.

      It's not always that simple and straitforward. FTP is
      very difficult.

      PS: I'm lurking and thinking about buying a LS.

      http://mail.yahoo.com