AW: [LinkStation_General] World's dumbest error message.

  • lists
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2006
      Maybe you have more than one network connector? I had one for VPN, WiFi,
      LAN, Bluetooth, etc.
      After shutting down everything but LAN my Freelink installation worked well
      .

      -----Urspr├╝ngliche Nachricht-----
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2006
        It's saying network address not host address. Make sure the host addresses
        are on the same network such as 192.168.1.xxx where xxx is a number between
        1 and 254. Also make sure you code the same network mask such as
        255.255.255.0.

        JR

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 4, 2006
          Yes, I think this is correct. It probably needs to be that original
          IP address that the LS was from the factory (was it 192.168.1.100 or
          something?), because once you load a different factory firmware, that
          is what it is going to be set to anyway, plus prehaps in the
          proceedure, the LS actually runs "EM" mode which is from the mini-OS
          that is entirely in flash which certainly has this original address.

          PS: I dread the day that I may actually need to know this!

          <jronald@c...> wrote:

          > It's saying network address not host address. Make sure the host
          addresses
          > are on the same network such as 192.168.1.xxx where xxx is a number
          between
          > 1 and 254. Also make sure you code the same network mask such as
          > 255.255.255.0.
          >
          > JR

        • rmfenerty
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 4, 2006
            Guys,

            Thanks for your suggestions. I've determined that the error message:
            "The Network address of computer and the Linkstation differ (etc.)"
            Is really just the firmware updater's way of saying:
            "I can't get the firmware into the Linkstation".
            In my case, the problem had nothing to do with subnet masks and IP
            addresses. An alternate PC with the exact same IP settings had no
            problems.

            Robert

            <wartstew@y...> wrote:

            > Yes, I think this is correct. It probably needs to be that original
            > IP address that the LS was from the factory (was it 192.168.1.100 or
            > something?), because once you load a different factory firmware, that
            > is what it is going to be set to anyway, plus prehaps in the
            > proceedure, the LS actually runs "EM" mode which is from the mini-OS
            > that is entirely in flash which certainly has this original address.
            >
            > PS: I dread the day that I may actually need to know this!
            >
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Ronald"
            > <jronald@c...> wrote:
            > >
            > > It's saying network address not host address. Make sure the host
            > addresses
            > > are on the same network such as 192.168.1.xxx where xxx is a number
            > between
            > > 1 and 254. Also make sure you code the same network mask such as
            > > 255.255.255.0.
            > >
            > > JR

          • KeepIt SimpleStupid
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 5, 2006
              I always thought the dumbest error was "Keyboard
              error, Depress any key to continue."

              Error handling takes time and uses lots of space
              compared to code.

              Yahoo! DSL ┬ľ Something to write home about.
              Just $16.99/mo. or less.
              dsl.yahoo.com
            • prb0x
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 6, 2006
                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, KeepIt SimpleStupid
                <keepitsimplestupid@y...> wrote:

                > I always thought the dumbest error was "Keyboard
                > error, Depress any key to continue."

                Plug the keyboard in - press a key to continue.

                How is that dumb?
              • KeepIt SimpleStupid
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 6, 2006
                  --- prb0x <yahoo_ls@...> wrote:

                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, KeepIt
                  > SimpleStupid
                  > <keepitsimplestupid@y...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I always thought the dumbest error was "Keyboard
                  > > error, Depress any key to continue."
                  > >

                  > Plug the keyboard in - press a key to continue.
                  >
                  > How is that dumb?

                  You mean, plug a known good keyboard in and press a
                  key to continue.

                  If the keyboard is truly broken then pressing any key
                  won't work, would it?

                  http://mail.yahoo.com