World's dumbest error message.

  • rmfenerty
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2006

      I'm trying to downgrade my 120 GB Powerpc-hdhlan 1.47 LS to 1.45 OR
      openlink. In either attempt:

      1. The PC and LS are directly connected, and I can ping the LS
      (10.30.50.70) from my PC (10.30.50.5). Both subnet masks (on PC & LS)
      are /24

      2. The linkstation_version.txt is 1.52, so the updater always sees a
      higher version.

      3. My Symantec Firewall & virus protection is OFF, and the Windows
      firewall is OFF.

      The problem? When attempting to downgrade to 1.45 or openlink, the
      firmware updater (HD-HLAN FWUpdate.exe) finds the LS, but when I
      select "Renew Firmware" it stupidly complains that:
      "The Network address of computer and the Linkstation differ hence an
      upgrade cannot be completed."

      After many attempts (reboots, broader mask on PC, etc) I actually set
      both PC and LS to the same IP. Not surprisingly, the PC couldn't find
      the LS. Anyone have a better idea?

      Thanks,

      Robert
    • lists
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2006
        Maybe you have more than one network connector? I had one for VPN, WiFi,
        LAN, Bluetooth, etc.
        After shutting down everything but LAN my Freelink installation worked well
        .

        -----Urspr├╝ngliche Nachricht-----
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • James Ronald
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 2, 2006
          It's saying network address not host address. Make sure the host addresses
          are on the same network such as 192.168.1.xxx where xxx is a number between
          1 and 254. Also make sure you code the same network mask such as
          255.255.255.0.

          JR

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 4, 2006
            Yes, I think this is correct. It probably needs to be that original
            IP address that the LS was from the factory (was it 192.168.1.100 or
            something?), because once you load a different factory firmware, that
            is what it is going to be set to anyway, plus prehaps in the
            proceedure, the LS actually runs "EM" mode which is from the mini-OS
            that is entirely in flash which certainly has this original address.

            PS: I dread the day that I may actually need to know this!

            <jronald@c...> wrote:

            > It's saying network address not host address. Make sure the host
            addresses
            > are on the same network such as 192.168.1.xxx where xxx is a number
            between
            > 1 and 254. Also make sure you code the same network mask such as
            > 255.255.255.0.
            >
            > JR

          • rmfenerty
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 4, 2006
              Guys,

              Thanks for your suggestions. I've determined that the error message:
              "The Network address of computer and the Linkstation differ (etc.)"
              Is really just the firmware updater's way of saying:
              "I can't get the firmware into the Linkstation".
              In my case, the problem had nothing to do with subnet masks and IP
              addresses. An alternate PC with the exact same IP settings had no
              problems.

              Robert

              <wartstew@y...> wrote:

              > Yes, I think this is correct. It probably needs to be that original
              > IP address that the LS was from the factory (was it 192.168.1.100 or
              > something?), because once you load a different factory firmware, that
              > is what it is going to be set to anyway, plus prehaps in the
              > proceedure, the LS actually runs "EM" mode which is from the mini-OS
              > that is entirely in flash which certainly has this original address.
              >
              > PS: I dread the day that I may actually need to know this!
              >
              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Ronald"
              > <jronald@c...> wrote:
              > >
              > > It's saying network address not host address. Make sure the host
              > addresses
              > > are on the same network such as 192.168.1.xxx where xxx is a number
              > between
              > > 1 and 254. Also make sure you code the same network mask such as
              > > 255.255.255.0.
              > >
              > > JR

            • KeepIt SimpleStupid
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 5, 2006
                I always thought the dumbest error was "Keyboard
                error, Depress any key to continue."

                Error handling takes time and uses lots of space
                compared to code.

                Yahoo! DSL ┬ľ Something to write home about.
                Just $16.99/mo. or less.
                dsl.yahoo.com
              • prb0x
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 6, 2006
                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, KeepIt SimpleStupid
                  <keepitsimplestupid@y...> wrote:

                  > I always thought the dumbest error was "Keyboard
                  > error, Depress any key to continue."

                  Plug the keyboard in - press a key to continue.

                  How is that dumb?
                • KeepIt SimpleStupid
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 6, 2006
                    --- prb0x <yahoo_ls@...> wrote:

                    > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, KeepIt
                    > SimpleStupid
                    > <keepitsimplestupid@y...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I always thought the dumbest error was "Keyboard
                    > > error, Depress any key to continue."
                    > >

                    > Plug the keyboard in - press a key to continue.
                    >
                    > How is that dumb?

                    You mean, plug a known good keyboard in and press a
                    key to continue.

                    If the keyboard is truly broken then pressing any key
                    won't work, would it?

                    http://mail.yahoo.com