Re: How to access LS from the Internet ?

  • cherrytreeproduction
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2006
      if you really want to do this:

      i assume you access your routers config page by

      http://<your-external-ip>:<webinterface-port>

      so there is some port used by your router...if it is Port 80 then you
      cannot simply forward port 80 to your Linkstation because then you
      would not be able to access your Routers config page anymore.

      if it isn`t running on port 80 all you have to do is forwarding port
      80 to your linkstations-ip (and make the linkstations ip static if
      dhcp is used)

      --- only with root-access ----
      if it is running on port 80 and there is no chance in changing it to
      another one you can do the following (i assume that your router isn`t
      able to "map" one port to another, say from 81 to 80):

      1) choose a port for the linkstations webinterface

      2) on the router forward the port to your linkstations ip

      3) edit /etc/thttpd.conf , change the portnumber to the chosen one

      after a reboot it should work.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lifeisfuneh"
      <lifeisfuneh@h...> wrote:

      > Is there way to access my LS configuration from outside ?
      > I access my router config page but how do I do that with LS ?
      >
      > Thanks

    • KeepIt SimpleStupid
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2006
        --- lifeisfuneh <lifeisfuneh@...> wrote:

        > Is there way to access my LS configuration from
        > outside ?
        > I access my router config page but how do I do that
        > with LS ?
        >
        > Thanks

        I'll try to help without getting too complicated.

        Take a look here for a list of common ports.

        http://www.granneman.com/techinfo/networking/commonports.htm

        Now that your looking here, I'll make a statement.

        http:// is the same as port 80

        an example:

        http://www.google.com is identical to
        www.google.com:80 and http is the default service in a
        browser.

        So what?

        Here lies the problem. You likely only have one IP
        address and you can't have two web browsers at the
        same address looking in from the outside.

        Steps: Give LS a fixed IP address on your internal
        network and lets say its 10.0.1.3. If using DHCP, you
        can give devices a very long lease time so for all
        intents and purposes it has a fixed IP address.

        In your router you have the ability to port map.

        So you map the public port (say 8000) to the private
        IP address of 10.0.1.3 and the private port (80)

        So, to access the http: service on a device with the
        private IP address of 10.0.1.3 you type in a browser
        <my public ip address>:8000 and your there. You
        cannot do this from within your network.

        This is an over simplification. Use public ports
        above, I believe 1000.

        It's not always that simple and straitforward. FTP is
        very difficult.

        PS: I'm lurking and thinking about buying a LS.

        http://mail.yahoo.com