How to access LS from the Internet ?

  • lifeisfuneh
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2005
      Is there way to access my LS configuration from outside ?
      I access my router config page but how do I do that with LS ?

      Thanks
    • cherrytreeproduction
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2006
        if you really want to do this:

        i assume you access your routers config page by

        http://<your-external-ip>:<webinterface-port>

        so there is some port used by your router...if it is Port 80 then you
        cannot simply forward port 80 to your Linkstation because then you
        would not be able to access your Routers config page anymore.

        if it isn`t running on port 80 all you have to do is forwarding port
        80 to your linkstations-ip (and make the linkstations ip static if
        dhcp is used)

        --- only with root-access ----
        if it is running on port 80 and there is no chance in changing it to
        another one you can do the following (i assume that your router isn`t
        able to "map" one port to another, say from 81 to 80):

        1) choose a port for the linkstations webinterface

        2) on the router forward the port to your linkstations ip

        3) edit /etc/thttpd.conf , change the portnumber to the chosen one

        after a reboot it should work.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lifeisfuneh"
        <lifeisfuneh@h...> wrote:

        > Is there way to access my LS configuration from outside ?
        > I access my router config page but how do I do that with LS ?
        >
        > Thanks

      • KeepIt SimpleStupid
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2006
          --- lifeisfuneh <lifeisfuneh@...> wrote:

          > Is there way to access my LS configuration from
          > outside ?
          > I access my router config page but how do I do that
          > with LS ?
          >
          > Thanks

          I'll try to help without getting too complicated.

          Take a look here for a list of common ports.

          http://www.granneman.com/techinfo/networking/commonports.htm

          Now that your looking here, I'll make a statement.

          http:// is the same as port 80

          an example:

          http://www.google.com is identical to
          www.google.com:80 and http is the default service in a
          browser.

          So what?

          Here lies the problem. You likely only have one IP
          address and you can't have two web browsers at the
          same address looking in from the outside.

          Steps: Give LS a fixed IP address on your internal
          network and lets say its 10.0.1.3. If using DHCP, you
          can give devices a very long lease time so for all
          intents and purposes it has a fixed IP address.

          In your router you have the ability to port map.

          So you map the public port (say 8000) to the private
          IP address of 10.0.1.3 and the private port (80)

          So, to access the http: service on a device with the
          private IP address of 10.0.1.3 you type in a browser
          <my public ip address>:8000 and your there. You
          cannot do this from within your network.

          This is an over simplification. Use public ports
          above, I believe 1000.

          It's not always that simple and straitforward. FTP is
          very difficult.

          PS: I'm lurking and thinking about buying a LS.

          http://mail.yahoo.com