Re: vnc freelink

  • michael_harper75
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 31, 2005
      <wartstew@y...> wrote:

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "michael_harper75"
      > <cain171562@g...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I recently did the switch to freelink on my linkstation/mips and
      > > everything is running good after much trial and error, i got samba,
      > > and apache and ftp all configured like i want it. I am able to vnc
      > > and open a desktop on the linkstation, but I the gui menu has only a
      > > few apps and most of them dont start when i click on them. I noticed
      > > that when i install packages with synaptic/vnc or apt-get they dont
      > > appear in the menus on my vnc desktop.
      >
      > You should verify that you have "menu" installed. It is a Debian
      > specific program that is suppose to maintain the menus for ALL your
      > window managers. You can customize how "menu" works, but not without
      > a little learning curve. Another problem is that it doesn't integrate
      > into some window managers as well as others. Often "menu" only adds
      > entries into a subgroup/subfolder called something like "Apps" or
      > "Debian".
      >
      > Which window manager are you using?
      >
      > Also the "menu" program only makes changes to a master "system" file,
      > but not individual user's files. For example, for the fluxbox WM I'm
      > using, I had to symlink my user file (~/.fluxbox/menu) to the system
      > file (/etc/fluxbox/flux-menu) to keep my user menu updating.
      >
      > > Is there something i need to do to make them available?
      >
      > Worse case, you need to learn how to manually add them to your window
      > manager, which typically means editing a configuration file for most
      > light-weight window managers.
      >
      > > I would like to be able to use vnc to with
      > > a bit torrent client.
      >
      > I've been using "bittorando", but there are others. You might need to
      > manually configure your web browser (Firefox or Opera?) to call it
      > when it sees a ".torrent" file.
      >
      > Anyway, welcome to freelink. Don't give up, it only gets better!

      Thanks for the help, I'm using ice window manager, I found out that
      using firefox and a gui bitttorrent uses too much of the processor,
      instead im using a CLI bit torrent client, transmission.
    • prb0x
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
        <cain171562@g...> wrote:

        > Thanks for the help, I'm using ice window manager, I found out that
        > using firefox and a gui bitttorrent uses too much of the processor,
        > instead im using a CLI bit torrent client, transmission.

        Check out torrentflux

        you are best off with the beta:
        http://www.torrentflux.com/

        Plenty of support on the site. I run it with lighttpd and PHP5 which
        should have all you need. Though I'm going to look up transmission.

        Trouble is TorrentFlux use a python based client so it's a real memory
        hog.

        Hopefully someone might have done a web based GUI for transmission or
        maybe the TF and transmission guys would like to work together.

        Cheers,
        Al

        Cheers,
        Al
      • michael_harper75
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
          I put the binary for transmission in the files section of this forum.
          It's a mipsel binary.

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "prb0x" <yahoo_ls@t...> wrote:

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "michael_harper75"
          > <cain171562@g...> wrote:
          >
          > > Thanks for the help, I'm using ice window manager, I found out that
          > > using firefox and a gui bitttorrent uses too much of the processor,
          > > instead im using a CLI bit torrent client, transmission.
          > >

          > Check out torrentflux
          >
          > you are best off with the beta:
          > http://www.torrentflux.com/
          >
          > Plenty of support on the site. I run it with lighttpd and PHP5 which
          > should have all you need. Though I'm going to look up transmission.
          >
          > Trouble is TorrentFlux use a python based client so it's a real memory
          > hog.
          >
          > Hopefully someone might have done a web based GUI for transmission or
          > maybe the TF and transmission guys would like to work together.
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Al
          >

          > Cheers,
          > Al

        • Arias Hung
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
            On Wed, 04 Jan 2006, prb0x delivered in simple text monotype:

            >--- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "michael_harper75"
            ><cain171562@g...> wrote:
            >
            >> Thanks for the help, I'm using ice window manager, I found out that
            >> using firefox and a gui bitttorrent uses too much of the processor,
            >> instead im using a CLI bit torrent client, transmission.
            <---snip--->

            Are you guys crazy?!?

            The commandline ctorrent is the fastest bittorrent client under the sun.

            Written in c++, needs to be compiled for the kuro/linkstation but after it does, it absolutely flies.

            Grab the cvs off sourceforge.
          • prb0x
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Arias Hung <arias@m...> wrote:

              > On Wed, 04 Jan 2006, prb0x delivered in simple text monotype:
              >
              > >--- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "michael_harper75"
              > ><cain171562@g...> wrote:
              > >
              > >> Thanks for the help, I'm using ice window manager, I found out that
              > >> using firefox and a gui bitttorrent uses too much of the processor,
              > >> instead im using a CLI bit torrent client, transmission.
              > <---snip--->
              >

              > Are you guys crazy?!?
              >
              > The commandline ctorrent is the fastest bittorrent client under the sun.
              >
              > Written in c++, needs to be compiled for the kuro/linkstation but
              after it does, it absolutely flies.

              > Grab the cvs off sourceforge.

              There are four reasons not to use ctorrent:
              1) It doesn't update trackers
              2) It doesn't handle files over 2GB
              3) It doesn't update trackers
              4) It doesn't update trackers

              Okay so it's 2 reasons really but that one is important enough to be
              mentioned 3 times as it's pretty fundamental. No wonder it's fast if
              it's not doing half what other clients do.