vnc freelink

  • michael_harper75
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 29, 2005
      I recently did the switch to freelink on my linkstation/mips and
      everything is running good after much trial and error, i got samba,
      and apache and ftp all configured like i want it. I am able to vnc
      and open a desktop on the linkstation, but I the gui menu has only a
      few apps and most of them dont start when i click on them. I noticed
      that when i install packages with synaptic/vnc or apt-get they dont
      appear in the menus on my vnc desktop. Is there something i need to
      do to make them available? I would like to be able to use vnc to with
      a bit torrent client.
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 30, 2005
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "michael_harper75"
        <cain171562@g...> wrote:

        > I recently did the switch to freelink on my linkstation/mips and
        > everything is running good after much trial and error, i got samba,
        > and apache and ftp all configured like i want it. I am able to vnc
        > and open a desktop on the linkstation, but I the gui menu has only a
        > few apps and most of them dont start when i click on them. I noticed
        > that when i install packages with synaptic/vnc or apt-get they dont
        > appear in the menus on my vnc desktop.

        You should verify that you have "menu" installed. It is a Debian
        specific program that is suppose to maintain the menus for ALL your
        window managers. You can customize how "menu" works, but not without
        a little learning curve. Another problem is that it doesn't integrate
        into some window managers as well as others. Often "menu" only adds
        entries into a subgroup/subfolder called something like "Apps" or
        "Debian".

        Which window manager are you using?

        Also the "menu" program only makes changes to a master "system" file,
        but not individual user's files. For example, for the fluxbox WM I'm
        using, I had to symlink my user file (~/.fluxbox/menu) to the system
        file (/etc/fluxbox/flux-menu) to keep my user menu updating.

        > Is there something i need to do to make them available?

        Worse case, you need to learn how to manually add them to your window
        manager, which typically means editing a configuration file for most
        light-weight window managers.

        > I would like to be able to use vnc to with
        > a bit torrent client.

        I've been using "bittorando", but there are others. You might need to
        manually configure your web browser (Firefox or Opera?) to call it
        when it sees a ".torrent" file.

        Anyway, welcome to freelink. Don't give up, it only gets better!
      • michael_harper75
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 31, 2005
          <wartstew@y...> wrote:

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "michael_harper75"
          > <cain171562@g...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I recently did the switch to freelink on my linkstation/mips and
          > > everything is running good after much trial and error, i got samba,
          > > and apache and ftp all configured like i want it. I am able to vnc
          > > and open a desktop on the linkstation, but I the gui menu has only a
          > > few apps and most of them dont start when i click on them. I noticed
          > > that when i install packages with synaptic/vnc or apt-get they dont
          > > appear in the menus on my vnc desktop.
          >
          > You should verify that you have "menu" installed. It is a Debian
          > specific program that is suppose to maintain the menus for ALL your
          > window managers. You can customize how "menu" works, but not without
          > a little learning curve. Another problem is that it doesn't integrate
          > into some window managers as well as others. Often "menu" only adds
          > entries into a subgroup/subfolder called something like "Apps" or
          > "Debian".
          >
          > Which window manager are you using?
          >
          > Also the "menu" program only makes changes to a master "system" file,
          > but not individual user's files. For example, for the fluxbox WM I'm
          > using, I had to symlink my user file (~/.fluxbox/menu) to the system
          > file (/etc/fluxbox/flux-menu) to keep my user menu updating.
          >
          > > Is there something i need to do to make them available?
          >
          > Worse case, you need to learn how to manually add them to your window
          > manager, which typically means editing a configuration file for most
          > light-weight window managers.
          >
          > > I would like to be able to use vnc to with
          > > a bit torrent client.
          >
          > I've been using "bittorando", but there are others. You might need to
          > manually configure your web browser (Firefox or Opera?) to call it
          > when it sees a ".torrent" file.
          >
          > Anyway, welcome to freelink. Don't give up, it only gets better!

          Thanks for the help, I'm using ice window manager, I found out that
          using firefox and a gui bitttorrent uses too much of the processor,
          instead im using a CLI bit torrent client, transmission.
        • prb0x
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
            <cain171562@g...> wrote:

            > Thanks for the help, I'm using ice window manager, I found out that
            > using firefox and a gui bitttorrent uses too much of the processor,
            > instead im using a CLI bit torrent client, transmission.

            Check out torrentflux

            you are best off with the beta:
            http://www.torrentflux.com/

            Plenty of support on the site. I run it with lighttpd and PHP5 which
            should have all you need. Though I'm going to look up transmission.

            Trouble is TorrentFlux use a python based client so it's a real memory
            hog.

            Hopefully someone might have done a web based GUI for transmission or
            maybe the TF and transmission guys would like to work together.

            Cheers,
            Al

            Cheers,
            Al
          • michael_harper75
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
              I put the binary for transmission in the files section of this forum.
              It's a mipsel binary.

              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "prb0x" <yahoo_ls@t...> wrote:

              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "michael_harper75"
              > <cain171562@g...> wrote:
              >
              > > Thanks for the help, I'm using ice window manager, I found out that
              > > using firefox and a gui bitttorrent uses too much of the processor,
              > > instead im using a CLI bit torrent client, transmission.
              > >

              > Check out torrentflux
              >
              > you are best off with the beta:
              > http://www.torrentflux.com/
              >
              > Plenty of support on the site. I run it with lighttpd and PHP5 which
              > should have all you need. Though I'm going to look up transmission.
              >
              > Trouble is TorrentFlux use a python based client so it's a real memory
              > hog.
              >
              > Hopefully someone might have done a web based GUI for transmission or
              > maybe the TF and transmission guys would like to work together.
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Al
              >

              > Cheers,
              > Al

            • Arias Hung
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
                On Wed, 04 Jan 2006, prb0x delivered in simple text monotype:

                >--- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "michael_harper75"
                ><cain171562@g...> wrote:
                >
                >> Thanks for the help, I'm using ice window manager, I found out that
                >> using firefox and a gui bitttorrent uses too much of the processor,
                >> instead im using a CLI bit torrent client, transmission.
                <---snip--->

                Are you guys crazy?!?

                The commandline ctorrent is the fastest bittorrent client under the sun.

                Written in c++, needs to be compiled for the kuro/linkstation but after it does, it absolutely flies.

                Grab the cvs off sourceforge.
              • prb0x
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Arias Hung <arias@m...> wrote:

                  > On Wed, 04 Jan 2006, prb0x delivered in simple text monotype:
                  >
                  > >--- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "michael_harper75"
                  > ><cain171562@g...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > >> Thanks for the help, I'm using ice window manager, I found out that
                  > >> using firefox and a gui bitttorrent uses too much of the processor,
                  > >> instead im using a CLI bit torrent client, transmission.
                  > <---snip--->
                  >

                  > Are you guys crazy?!?
                  >
                  > The commandline ctorrent is the fastest bittorrent client under the sun.
                  >
                  > Written in c++, needs to be compiled for the kuro/linkstation but
                  after it does, it absolutely flies.

                  > Grab the cvs off sourceforge.

                  There are four reasons not to use ctorrent:
                  1) It doesn't update trackers
                  2) It doesn't handle files over 2GB
                  3) It doesn't update trackers
                  4) It doesn't update trackers

                  Okay so it's 2 reasons really but that one is important enough to be
                  mentioned 3 times as it's pretty fundamental. No wonder it's fast if
                  it's not doing half what other clients do.