Re: Newbie questions: SlimServer on a Gigabit Linkstation

  • bikerx15
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 29, 2005
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Marc D. Field <yahoo@f...>
      wrote:

      > You should be able to follow the instructions on my site and be done
      -- nothing else you need to install or do. However, if you take the
      shortcut of installing OpenLink PPC, you may still need to install
      Perl from my site, as I have seen at least one report of the Perl
      5.8.7 in OpenLink not recognizing the special Perl binaries included
      with SlimServer.

      Marc,

      Thanks for the reply and thanks for the informative web page. My
      understanding is that the Gigabit LinkStation (HD-HG250) is a PPC
      device. My preference is to follow your instructions and try to avoid
      the reflash process that OpenLink seems to require. At the same time,
      I hope to avoid the other problems you mentioned that are associated
      with the OpenLink installation when using SlimServer.

      I do have one more question, though...I currently have firmware
      1.42 on my LinkStation. I looked at the FTP site you mention on your
      web page, and there were no firmware upgrades for the HD-HG listed.
      Is it safe to proceed without updating the firmware, or do you
      recommend installing a later version even if it doesn't appear to
      relavent?

      Thanks again,
      Robert
    • Marc D. Field
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 29, 2005
        bikerx15 wrote:
        > I do have one more question, though...I currently have firmware
        >1.42 on my LinkStation. I looked at the FTP site you mention on your
        >web page, and there were no firmware upgrades for the HD-HG listed.
        >Is it safe to proceed without updating the firmware, or do you
        >recommend installing a later version even if it doesn't appear to
        >relavent?

        I would stick with the one you have, and if something fails, then think about finding the 1.45 that's intended for your model (in case the failure is something the update would fix). Most likely everything will go fine without upgrading the firmware.

        Marc
      • bikerx15
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 30, 2005
          wrote:

          > I would stick with the one you have, and if something fails, then
          think about finding the 1.45 that's intended for your model (in case
          the failure is something the update would fix). Most likely
          everything will go fine without upgrading the firmware.

          > Marc

          Thanks again for the help! I will give this a shot some time in the
          next few days when I can be sure that I won't have any distractions.

          Thanks,
          Robert
        • bikerx15
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 30, 2005
            Well, I tried to telnet into the HD-HG250 and I got the following:

            "Could not open connection to the host on port 23: Connect failed"

            Does this mean that telnet is not enabled on this Linkstation? Is
            there something else I should try before I break down and install
            Openlink?

            Thanks,
            Robert