Re: Newbie questions: SlimServer on a Gigabit Linkstation

  • Marc D. Field
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 29, 2005
      bikerx15 wrote:
      >So here is my basic question: With the HD-HG250 Linkstation, will I be
      >able to simply follow the instructions (including upgrading PERL to
      >5.8.5 and updating the firmware in my Linkstation to 1.45), and have a
      >successful installation, or are there other things that I will need to
      >install as well?

      Hi,

      You should be able to follow the instructions on my site and be done -- nothing else you need to install or do. However, if you take the shortcut of installing OpenLink PPC, you may still need to install Perl from my site, as I have seen at least one report of the Perl 5.8.7 in OpenLink not recognizing the special Perl binaries included with SlimServer.

      If you have a MIPS LinkStation, you should also be able to follow the instructions and be done, with one possible exception: I've seen a few reports of SlimServer not finding the special Perl binaries included with SlimServer. I have not seen the solution for this (you can't use the PPC Perl from my site on a MIPS box, and I don't have a MIPS box to use for testing). I have seen many reports of success on MIPS boxes. If someone can let us all know how they got around this error on a MIPS box, I'll add this info to the instructions on my site.

      Marc
    • bikerx15
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 29, 2005
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Marc D. Field <yahoo@f...>
        wrote:

        > You should be able to follow the instructions on my site and be done
        -- nothing else you need to install or do. However, if you take the
        shortcut of installing OpenLink PPC, you may still need to install
        Perl from my site, as I have seen at least one report of the Perl
        5.8.7 in OpenLink not recognizing the special Perl binaries included
        with SlimServer.

        Marc,

        Thanks for the reply and thanks for the informative web page. My
        understanding is that the Gigabit LinkStation (HD-HG250) is a PPC
        device. My preference is to follow your instructions and try to avoid
        the reflash process that OpenLink seems to require. At the same time,
        I hope to avoid the other problems you mentioned that are associated
        with the OpenLink installation when using SlimServer.

        I do have one more question, though...I currently have firmware
        1.42 on my LinkStation. I looked at the FTP site you mention on your
        web page, and there were no firmware upgrades for the HD-HG listed.
        Is it safe to proceed without updating the firmware, or do you
        recommend installing a later version even if it doesn't appear to
        relavent?

        Thanks again,
        Robert
      • Marc D. Field
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 29, 2005
          bikerx15 wrote:
          > I do have one more question, though...I currently have firmware
          >1.42 on my LinkStation. I looked at the FTP site you mention on your
          >web page, and there were no firmware upgrades for the HD-HG listed.
          >Is it safe to proceed without updating the firmware, or do you
          >recommend installing a later version even if it doesn't appear to
          >relavent?

          I would stick with the one you have, and if something fails, then think about finding the 1.45 that's intended for your model (in case the failure is something the update would fix). Most likely everything will go fine without upgrading the firmware.

          Marc
        • bikerx15
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 30, 2005
            wrote:

            > I would stick with the one you have, and if something fails, then
            think about finding the 1.45 that's intended for your model (in case
            the failure is something the update would fix). Most likely
            everything will go fine without upgrading the firmware.

            > Marc

            Thanks again for the help! I will give this a shot some time in the
            next few days when I can be sure that I won't have any distractions.

            Thanks,
            Robert
          • bikerx15
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 30, 2005
              Well, I tried to telnet into the HD-HG250 and I got the following:

              "Could not open connection to the host on port 23: Connect failed"

              Does this mean that telnet is not enabled on this Linkstation? Is
              there something else I should try before I break down and install
              Openlink?

              Thanks,
              Robert