Re: vnc, webmin freelink

  • lalunas10
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 27, 2005
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "michael_harper75" <cain171562@g...>
      wrote:

      > I just got freelink installed, and am able to boot, I can telnet in,
      > and ssh, but when i try to start the vncserver, i get "vncserver:
      > couldn't find "xauth" on your PATH.", I have installed all the
      > componenets via apt, and I was able to start the vncserver when i was
      > still in the chroot enviornment. Has anyone had a smiliar problem?

      I doubt you installed "all the components" :)

      # apt-cache search xauth
      # apt-get install xbase-clients

      > also, webmin gives me "error-access denied" and i have set the
      > allow=myip option in the config file

      Can't help you with that, sorry.

      -Andre
    • jon_edney
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 27, 2005
        I had exactly the same problem. Firstly, make sure you are logged in
        as root (if your not prompted for a login, you should be ok),
        otherwise type "su" and enter the root password.

        Type:

        cd /usr/bin/X11
        vncserver -name BuffaloVNC -depth 16 -geometry 800x600

        Alternativly swap the top line with:

        set PATH=$PATH:/usr/bin/X11

        This will add the correct directory to the search path, but I don't
        know how to save this so you will have to do it each time.

        I have created a script called "vnc" in /bin with the two lines at
        the top of this message so I can just type "vnc" to start the server.

        Hope this helps.
        Jon.
      • michael_harper75
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 27, 2005
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jon_edney" <yahoo@e...>
          wrote:

          > I had exactly the same problem. Firstly, make sure you are logged in
          > as root (if your not prompted for a login, you should be ok),
          > otherwise type "su" and enter the root password.
          >
          > Type:
          >
          > cd /usr/bin/X11
          > vncserver -name BuffaloVNC -depth 16 -geometry 800x600
          >
          > Alternativly swap the top line with:
          >
          > set PATH=$PATH:/usr/bin/X11
          >
          > This will add the correct directory to the search path, but I don't
          > know how to save this so you will have to do it each time.
          >
          > I have created a script called "vnc" in /bin with the two lines at
          > the top of this message so I can just type "vnc" to start the server.
          >
          > Hope this helps.
          > Jon.

          Hey jon, thanks that did the trick, vnc works now, and the
          resolutionis better i guess it was the -geometry tag