Re: Debian on MIPS - A few simple questions...

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 22, 2005
      > Can someone clarrify whether there are any risks to installing
      > Debian on a LS2 and just using it from within CHROOT? Can I still
      > brick my LS using this method?

      Anytime you run the "firmware installer" there seems to be some risks.
      Sometimes things go wrong. It is usually related to firewall
      settings set wrong or some other network problem.

      I'm not up on what the current instructions for the "chroot" method,
      but I'm probably one of the first people that ever did it. If it is
      what I think it is, it is a very safe way to "test drive" the Debian
      while still technically running the original OS. If you don't like
      it, simply ^D out and delete the directory where you put it.

      My understanding with newbies usage of Debian on the Linkstation is
      that as compared to the original LS OS, the Debian install is very
      basic. It isn't user friendly to Linux newbies, it also may contain
      many things that simply are not configured quite right. Only after a
      steep learning curve, will the system evolve into a useful and
      powerful system like mine has become. The learning curve is well
      worth it in my opinion, my Linkstation totally rocks!

      > Is the CHROOT method simply a case of following the instructions in
      > the PITS, Forum and Hacking Linkstation II.pdf, but not running the
      > SWAPPART command at the end?
      >
      > Thanks for your help.

    • balimbabullabe
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 23, 2005
        > Can someone clarrify whether there are any risks to installing
        > Debian on a LS2 and just using it from within CHROOT? Can I still
        > brick my LS using this method?

        There are none I know of. And for the second part of your question: No

        > Is the CHROOT method simply a case of following the instructions in
        > the PITS, Forum and Hacking Linkstation II.pdf, but not running the
        > SWAPPART command at the end?

        Yes