Debian on MIPS - A few simple questions...

  • jon_edney
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 21, 2005
      I'd like to move over to Debian, but I want to get it right. Taking
      my LS appart over xMas is not my idea of a good way to kill time!
      I'm a bit nervous of the process as documented in the LinkStation
      Wiki forums as there seems to be so many disperate pieces of
      information for the process, I'm concerned I might miss a vital
      comment/fix somewhere! My Linux is not at all good, I'm a Microsoft
      man at heart (for now!).

      If there is an updated script doing the rounds could someone send a
      copy my way (linkstation@ edney.me.uk)? or has someone put the
      entire process (including PITS) into one step-by-step document?

      Can someone clarrify whether there are any risks to installing
      Debian on a LS2 and just using it from within CHROOT? Can I still
      brick my LS using this method?

      Is the CHROOT method simply a case of following the instructions in
      the PITS, Forum and Hacking Linkstation II.pdf, but not running the
      SWAPPART command at the end?

      Thanks for your help.
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 22, 2005
        > Can someone clarrify whether there are any risks to installing
        > Debian on a LS2 and just using it from within CHROOT? Can I still
        > brick my LS using this method?

        Anytime you run the "firmware installer" there seems to be some risks.
        Sometimes things go wrong. It is usually related to firewall
        settings set wrong or some other network problem.

        I'm not up on what the current instructions for the "chroot" method,
        but I'm probably one of the first people that ever did it. If it is
        what I think it is, it is a very safe way to "test drive" the Debian
        while still technically running the original OS. If you don't like
        it, simply ^D out and delete the directory where you put it.

        My understanding with newbies usage of Debian on the Linkstation is
        that as compared to the original LS OS, the Debian install is very
        basic. It isn't user friendly to Linux newbies, it also may contain
        many things that simply are not configured quite right. Only after a
        steep learning curve, will the system evolve into a useful and
        powerful system like mine has become. The learning curve is well
        worth it in my opinion, my Linkstation totally rocks!

        > Is the CHROOT method simply a case of following the instructions in
        > the PITS, Forum and Hacking Linkstation II.pdf, but not running the
        > SWAPPART command at the end?
        >
        > Thanks for your help.

      • balimbabullabe
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 23, 2005
          > Can someone clarrify whether there are any risks to installing
          > Debian on a LS2 and just using it from within CHROOT? Can I still
          > brick my LS using this method?

          There are none I know of. And for the second part of your question: No

          > Is the CHROOT method simply a case of following the instructions in
          > the PITS, Forum and Hacking Linkstation II.pdf, but not running the
          > SWAPPART command at the end?

          Yes