Re: My HG400LAN doesn't show any shares---help

  • luos_3m
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 21, 2005
      Have you configured the HG with the same WORKGROUP name as your
      windows XP station? If they are different, it will not show up, only
      if you specifically search for it in network neigbourhood

      /Lucien
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "calvinlsc"
      <calvinlsc@y...> wrote:

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "tmlee44"
      <tmlee44@y...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi everyone,
      > >
      > > I just purchased a Linkstation 400 LAN (10/100/1000) device but
      no
      > > matter what I seem to do, I cannot view any shares on my device.
      > >
      > > I am running Windows XP, SP2 w/a wireless connection. I have
      > > connected my laptop via a wired connection to ensure that it
      wasn't
      > > the wireless connection causing the problem. I also turned off
      the
      > > firewall settings to ensure that wasn't the problem.
      > >
      > > I also noticed that when the automount utility ran, it returned
      > > gibberish. I can access it via the web interface & configure all
      > > the settings but the shares are not visible using the
      > > \\linkstation_name format.
      > >
      > > It's running firmware 1.42.
      > >
      > > Does anyone have any ideas? If there's a newer version of the
      > > firmware, where can I get it?
      > >
      > > Thanks.
      > >
      > > Terry
      > >
      > Which address did you use to config the LS via web?
      >
      > Do you have Files and Printer Sharing, and Client for MS Network
      > installed in WinXP? (It should be yes by default. But who knows?)

    • tmlee44
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 21, 2005
        Thanks to everyone that gave some advice. I finally solved this
        stupid problem. The short version is that the "profile" of my anti-
        virus software was causing the problem!!!!

        I have another wireless laptop that connected to my Linkstation just
        fine.....it is also running XP, SP2 but us using McAfee's software.

        My laptop is running Trend Micro's PC-Cillan w/the "wireless
        profile". Once I changed my profile to "Home or Home Network",
        everything worked flawlessly!!!! Who knew?!!!

        I remember having this problem before where the PC in the "wireless"
        profile could not see the other Workgroup computers. Changed it
        to "home-home/network" although it was running wirelessly &
        everything worked. (arrgh....frustrating but solved)

        Terry