My HG400LAN doesn't show any shares---help

  • tmlee44
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 20, 2005
      Hi everyone,

      I just purchased a Linkstation 400 LAN (10/100/1000) device but no
      matter what I seem to do, I cannot view any shares on my device.

      I am running Windows XP, SP2 w/a wireless connection. I have
      connected my laptop via a wired connection to ensure that it wasn't
      the wireless connection causing the problem. I also turned off the
      firewall settings to ensure that wasn't the problem.

      I also noticed that when the automount utility ran, it returned
      gibberish. I can access it via the web interface & configure all
      the settings but the shares are not visible using the
      \\linkstation_name format.

      It's running firmware 1.42.

      Does anyone have any ideas? If there's a newer version of the
      firmware, where can I get it?

      Thanks.

      Terry
    • lalunas10
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 21, 2005
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "tmlee44" <tmlee44@y...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > I just purchased a Linkstation 400 LAN (10/100/1000) device but no
        > matter what I seem to do, I cannot view any shares on my device.

        > I am running Windows XP, SP2 w/a wireless connection. I have
        > connected my laptop via a wired connection to ensure that it wasn't
        > the wireless connection causing the problem. I also turned off the
        > firewall settings to ensure that wasn't the problem.
        >
        > I also noticed that when the automount utility ran, it returned
        > gibberish. I can access it via the web interface & configure all
        > the settings but the shares are not visible using the
        > \\linkstation_name format.

        Did you try the IP form as well? Like

        \\192.168.1.3

        (your LS's address, of course). If it works, add "192.168.1.3 linkstation" to your LMHOSTS
        file. On a Win2k system, that would be C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC\LMHOSTS,
        shouldn't be too hard to find on XP. You should be able to connect to \\linkstation from
        now on.

        -Andre
      • calvinlsc
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 21, 2005
          wrote:

          > Hi everyone,
          >
          > I just purchased a Linkstation 400 LAN (10/100/1000) device but no
          > matter what I seem to do, I cannot view any shares on my device.
          >
          > I am running Windows XP, SP2 w/a wireless connection. I have
          > connected my laptop via a wired connection to ensure that it wasn't
          > the wireless connection causing the problem. I also turned off the
          > firewall settings to ensure that wasn't the problem.
          >
          > I also noticed that when the automount utility ran, it returned
          > gibberish. I can access it via the web interface & configure all
          > the settings but the shares are not visible using the
          > \\linkstation_name format.
          >
          > It's running firmware 1.42.
          >
          > Does anyone have any ideas? If there's a newer version of the
          > firmware, where can I get it?
          >
          > Thanks.
          >
          > Terry

          Which address did you use to config the LS via web?

          Do you have Files and Printer Sharing, and Client for MS Network
          installed in WinXP? (It should be yes by default. But who knows?)
        • luos_3m
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 21, 2005
            Have you configured the HG with the same WORKGROUP name as your
            windows XP station? If they are different, it will not show up, only
            if you specifically search for it in network neigbourhood

            /Lucien
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "calvinlsc"

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 21, 2005
              Thanks to everyone that gave some advice. I finally solved this
              stupid problem. The short version is that the "profile" of my anti-
              virus software was causing the problem!!!!

              I have another wireless laptop that connected to my Linkstation just
              fine.....it is also running XP, SP2 but us using McAfee's software.

              My laptop is running Trend Micro's PC-Cillan w/the "wireless
              profile". Once I changed my profile to "Home or Home Network",
              everything worked flawlessly!!!! Who knew?!!!

              I remember having this problem before where the PC in the "wireless"
              profile could not see the other Workgroup computers. Changed it
              to "home-home/network" although it was running wirelessly &
              everything worked. (arrgh....frustrating but solved)

              Terry