debian mips conversion??

  • michael_harper75
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 19, 2005
      I was just wondering if there had been any progress on making the
      mipsel linkstation into debian without losing data and trashing the
      linkstation. I would really like to convert all the way to debian,
      but i can lose my data.
    • calvinlsc
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 19, 2005
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "michael_harper75"
        <cain171562@g...> wrote:

        > I was just wondering if there had been any progress on making the
        > mipsel linkstation into debian without losing data and trashing the
        > linkstation. I would really like to convert all the way to debian,
        > but i can lose my data.

        Check this out, but beware of the risk involved.
        http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/3_23_0.html
      • michael_harper75
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 20, 2005
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "calvinlsc"
          <calvinlsc@y...> wrote:

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "michael_harper75"
          > <cain171562@g...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I was just wondering if there had been any progress on making the
          > > mipsel linkstation into debian without losing data and trashing the
          > > linkstation. I would really like to convert all the way to debian,
          > > but i can lose my data.
          > >

          > Check this out, but beware of the risk involved.
          > http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/3_23_0.html

          Thats what im concerned about, the risks, when i went to the openlink
          firmware the risk was minimal, and everything went fine. I was
          reading all the posts and people seem to be having problems. Id like
          to go full blown debian but i have a laptop and i would be unable to
          mount the hd and fix it so i have to be careful
        • calvinlsc
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 20, 2005
            > Thats what im concerned about, the risks, when i went to the openlink
            > firmware the risk was minimal, and everything went fine. I was
            > reading all the posts and people seem to be having problems. Id like
            > to go full blown debian but i have a laptop and i would be unable to
            > mount the hd and fix it so i have to be careful

            Have you already gone to openlink?

            Actually, if you have bricked your LS, you can simply plug the HDD into
            an external case. Remove all the partitions. Then replug it into the LS
            and reflash with Openlink again. This method hasn't proof to be 100%
            work, just a few has tried though.
          • michael_harper75
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 20, 2005
              <calvinlsc@y...> wrote:

              > > Thats what im concerned about, the risks, when i went to the openlink
              > > firmware the risk was minimal, and everything went fine. I was
              > > reading all the posts and people seem to be having problems. Id like
              > > to go full blown debian but i have a laptop and i would be unable to
              > > mount the hd and fix it so i have to be careful
              > >

              > Have you already gone to openlink?
              >
              > Actually, if you have bricked your LS, you can simply plug the HDD into
              > an external case. Remove all the partitions. Then replug it into the LS
              > and reflash with Openlink again. This method hasn't proof to be 100%
              > work, just a few has tried though.

              Im already on Openlink, Everything is working fine, I would like to
              get the full debain verssion though. I dont have a usb external
              case,If i connected the linkstation via usb, would it be the same thing?

            • calvinlsc
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 20, 2005
                > Im already on Openlink, Everything is working fine, I would like to
                > get the full debain verssion though. I dont have a usb external
                > case,If i connected the linkstation via usb, would it be the same
                thing?

                It will just blow you LS, and probably your laptop, since both USB
                ports are the electricity supplying side.

                If you can't risk anything, I suggest you wait until someone has
                written a full guide of how to convert a LS2 to debian.

                I am happy enough with my openlink, by the time being.