Re: Connecting Linkstation 120GB directly to Win XP

  • loosegroove2000
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 14, 2005
      Thank you for your patience. One more question.

      Right now, I have the LS setup to get the IP address automatically when
      it's connected to the router. Works fine.

      Reading the user manual from Buffalo they state the following:

      [quote]
      If Linkstation was plugged directly into a PC, then the DHCP function
      will timeout and give Linkstation the default IP address of
      192.168.11.150.
      [/quote]

      So, I'm correct in thinking that I can still leave the Linkstation as
      getting the IP automatically and since it won't get one, it will reset
      to the default IP automatically. All I need to change is the IP on the
      PC. Just making sure.

      Thanks again and sorry for so many basic questions.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "David Taylor"
      <dataylor@t...> wrote:

      > Yes, you will need to assign a static address to the PC too since you
      don't
      > have a DCHP server on your PC. If you are running Win XP you won't
      need to
      > restart. Just right click on network neighborhood and then right
      click and
      > select properties for your wired network connection. From there select
      > TCP/IP in the window and click properties. From there you can assign a
      > static address to your Win XP machine. If you assign an address in
      the range
      > of 192.168.11.* with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 you should be
      good to
      > go.
      >
      > David Taylor
    • David Taylor
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 14, 2005
        You are correct Your PC needs a static address assigned since it won't be
        able to get an address from the DCHP server. Just assign it something like
        192.168.11.1. The problem there is that your router is assigning addresses
        to other devices on your network (including the Linkstation) so your PC will
        now be on a different network segment and it will not see any of the devices
        that are served an IP address from the router including the Linkstation
        since the LInkstation will receive an address from the router

        So, you will need to either set the fallback IP address on the Linkstation
        to the same network segment as the DCHP your router is using or you will
        need to change the router's DCHP config so it serves IP addresses on the
        same segment as your LInkstation. In both cases, you will need to assign a
        static IP address to your computer too and that address needs to have the
        same first 3 numbers. Your router is likely set up to serve addresses from
        192.168.0.100 and up or 192.168.1.100 and up. That means your network
        devices will be assigned an address of 192.168.0.100 or something like that.
        That third number (actually the first 3 numbers 192.168.0 here and
        192.168.11 on your LInkstation) must be the same for them to talk to each
        other since your subnet mask is most likely 255.255.255.0 which means that
        the first 3 numbers in the ip address need to match in order for the devices
        to see each other. If you only have a few devices on your network you can
        just assign static addresses all of them, turn off the DCHP server all
        together, and call it a day (192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.2, etc). I have 12
        devices on my network and just assign all devices a static address and keep
        a written list for reference. This way I always know the address of the web,
        ftp, etc. server in my Kuro box and can easily set up port forwarding in my
        router so I can get to them over the internet.

        So, to summarize:
        1. Assign a static address to your PC.
        2. Change the fallback address on your Linkstation to the same network
        segment as the PC.
        3. configure your DCHP server (in your router) to serve addresses on the
        same network segment (with the same first 3 numbers as the IP addresses for
        the Linkstation and PC).

        David Taylor

        <dataylor@t...> wrote:

        > Yes, you will need to assign a static address to the PC too since you
        don't
        > have a DCHP server on your PC. If you are running Win XP you won't
        need to
        > restart. Just right click on network neighborhood and then right
        click and
        > select properties for your wired network connection. From there select
        > TCP/IP in the window and click properties. From there you can assign a
        > static address to your Win XP machine. If you assign an address in
        the range
        > of 192.168.11.* with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 you should be
        good to
        > go.
        >
        > David Taylor

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • loosegroove2000
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 15, 2005
          Thanks for all of your help and patience. I got it working (finally)!