RE: [LinkStation_General] Re: Connecting Linkstation 120GB directly to Win XP

  • David Taylor
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 14, 2005
      Yes, you will need to assign a static address to the PC too since you don't
      have a DCHP server on your PC. If you are running Win XP you won't need to
      restart. Just right click on network neighborhood and then right click and
      select properties for your wired network connection. From there select
      TCP/IP in the window and click properties. From there you can assign a
      static address to your Win XP machine. If you assign an address in the range
      of 192.168.11.* with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 you should be good to
      go.

      David Taylor

      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 14, 2005
        Thank you for your patience. One more question.

        Right now, I have the LS setup to get the IP address automatically when
        it's connected to the router. Works fine.

        Reading the user manual from Buffalo they state the following:

        [quote]
        If Linkstation was plugged directly into a PC, then the DHCP function
        will timeout and give Linkstation the default IP address of
        192.168.11.150.
        [/quote]

        So, I'm correct in thinking that I can still leave the Linkstation as
        getting the IP automatically and since it won't get one, it will reset
        to the default IP automatically. All I need to change is the IP on the
        PC. Just making sure.

        Thanks again and sorry for so many basic questions.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "David Taylor"
        <dataylor@t...> wrote:

        > Yes, you will need to assign a static address to the PC too since you
        don't
        > have a DCHP server on your PC. If you are running Win XP you won't
        need to
        > restart. Just right click on network neighborhood and then right
        click and
        > select properties for your wired network connection. From there select
        > TCP/IP in the window and click properties. From there you can assign a
        > static address to your Win XP machine. If you assign an address in
        the range
        > of 192.168.11.* with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 you should be
        good to
        > go.
        >
        > David Taylor
      • David Taylor
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 14, 2005
          You are correct Your PC needs a static address assigned since it won't be
          able to get an address from the DCHP server. Just assign it something like
          192.168.11.1. The problem there is that your router is assigning addresses
          to other devices on your network (including the Linkstation) so your PC will
          now be on a different network segment and it will not see any of the devices
          that are served an IP address from the router including the Linkstation
          since the LInkstation will receive an address from the router

          So, you will need to either set the fallback IP address on the Linkstation
          to the same network segment as the DCHP your router is using or you will
          need to change the router's DCHP config so it serves IP addresses on the
          same segment as your LInkstation. In both cases, you will need to assign a
          static IP address to your computer too and that address needs to have the
          same first 3 numbers. Your router is likely set up to serve addresses from
          192.168.0.100 and up or 192.168.1.100 and up. That means your network
          devices will be assigned an address of 192.168.0.100 or something like that.
          That third number (actually the first 3 numbers 192.168.0 here and
          192.168.11 on your LInkstation) must be the same for them to talk to each
          other since your subnet mask is most likely 255.255.255.0 which means that
          the first 3 numbers in the ip address need to match in order for the devices
          to see each other. If you only have a few devices on your network you can
          just assign static addresses all of them, turn off the DCHP server all
          together, and call it a day (192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.2, etc). I have 12
          devices on my network and just assign all devices a static address and keep
          a written list for reference. This way I always know the address of the web,
          ftp, etc. server in my Kuro box and can easily set up port forwarding in my
          router so I can get to them over the internet.

          So, to summarize:
          1. Assign a static address to your PC.
          2. Change the fallback address on your Linkstation to the same network
          segment as the PC.
          3. configure your DCHP server (in your router) to serve addresses on the
          same network segment (with the same first 3 numbers as the IP addresses for
          the Linkstation and PC).

          David Taylor

          <dataylor@t...> wrote:

          > Yes, you will need to assign a static address to the PC too since you
          don't
          > have a DCHP server on your PC. If you are running Win XP you won't
          need to
          > restart. Just right click on network neighborhood and then right
          click and
          > select properties for your wired network connection. From there select
          > TCP/IP in the window and click properties. From there you can assign a
          > static address to your Win XP machine. If you assign an address in
          the range
          > of 192.168.11.* with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 you should be
          good to
          > go.
          >
          > David Taylor

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • loosegroove2000
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 15, 2005
            Thanks for all of your help and patience. I got it working (finally)!