Re: Connecting Linkstation 120GB directly to Win XP

  • loosegroove2000
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 14, 2005
      So I can change my PC IP address to a static one (for example
      192.168.11.149) and I should be able to connect directly to the LS?
      Must I run the setup disk in order to get the PC to see the LS?

      Do I need to restart, etc after I reset the IP? Any other settings I
      need to change?

      Thanks for the help!

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "gouldyis" <gouldyis@y...>
      wrote:
      > I connect my LS's to my PC occasionnaly. Just make sure PC'c IP
      > address is in the same range as the LS, is the default for LS
      > 192.168.11.150.
      >
      > Have you run the setup disk with the IP configuration tool etc
    • David Taylor
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 14, 2005
        Yes, you will need to assign a static address to the PC too since you don't
        have a DCHP server on your PC. If you are running Win XP you won't need to
        restart. Just right click on network neighborhood and then right click and
        select properties for your wired network connection. From there select
        TCP/IP in the window and click properties. From there you can assign a
        static address to your Win XP machine. If you assign an address in the range
        of 192.168.11.* with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 you should be good to
        go.

        David Taylor

        wrote:
        > I connect my LS's to my PC occasionnaly. Just make sure PC'c IP
        > address is in the same range as the LS, is the default for LS
        > 192.168.11.150.
        >
        > Have you run the setup disk with the IP configuration tool etc

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • loosegroove2000
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 14, 2005
          Thank you for your patience. One more question.

          Right now, I have the LS setup to get the IP address automatically when
          it's connected to the router. Works fine.

          Reading the user manual from Buffalo they state the following:

          [quote]
          If Linkstation was plugged directly into a PC, then the DHCP function
          will timeout and give Linkstation the default IP address of
          192.168.11.150.
          [/quote]

          So, I'm correct in thinking that I can still leave the Linkstation as
          getting the IP automatically and since it won't get one, it will reset
          to the default IP automatically. All I need to change is the IP on the
          PC. Just making sure.

          Thanks again and sorry for so many basic questions.

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "David Taylor"
          <dataylor@t...> wrote:

          > Yes, you will need to assign a static address to the PC too since you
          don't
          > have a DCHP server on your PC. If you are running Win XP you won't
          need to
          > restart. Just right click on network neighborhood and then right
          click and
          > select properties for your wired network connection. From there select
          > TCP/IP in the window and click properties. From there you can assign a
          > static address to your Win XP machine. If you assign an address in
          the range
          > of 192.168.11.* with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 you should be
          good to
          > go.
          >
          > David Taylor
        • David Taylor
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 14, 2005
            You are correct Your PC needs a static address assigned since it won't be
            able to get an address from the DCHP server. Just assign it something like
            192.168.11.1. The problem there is that your router is assigning addresses
            to other devices on your network (including the Linkstation) so your PC will
            now be on a different network segment and it will not see any of the devices
            that are served an IP address from the router including the Linkstation
            since the LInkstation will receive an address from the router

            So, you will need to either set the fallback IP address on the Linkstation
            to the same network segment as the DCHP your router is using or you will
            need to change the router's DCHP config so it serves IP addresses on the
            same segment as your LInkstation. In both cases, you will need to assign a
            static IP address to your computer too and that address needs to have the
            same first 3 numbers. Your router is likely set up to serve addresses from
            192.168.0.100 and up or 192.168.1.100 and up. That means your network
            devices will be assigned an address of 192.168.0.100 or something like that.
            That third number (actually the first 3 numbers 192.168.0 here and
            192.168.11 on your LInkstation) must be the same for them to talk to each
            other since your subnet mask is most likely 255.255.255.0 which means that
            the first 3 numbers in the ip address need to match in order for the devices
            to see each other. If you only have a few devices on your network you can
            just assign static addresses all of them, turn off the DCHP server all
            together, and call it a day (192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.2, etc). I have 12
            devices on my network and just assign all devices a static address and keep
            a written list for reference. This way I always know the address of the web,
            ftp, etc. server in my Kuro box and can easily set up port forwarding in my
            router so I can get to them over the internet.

            So, to summarize:
            1. Assign a static address to your PC.
            2. Change the fallback address on your Linkstation to the same network
            segment as the PC.
            3. configure your DCHP server (in your router) to serve addresses on the
            same network segment (with the same first 3 numbers as the IP addresses for
            the Linkstation and PC).

            David Taylor

            <dataylor@t...> wrote:

            > Yes, you will need to assign a static address to the PC too since you
            don't
            > have a DCHP server on your PC. If you are running Win XP you won't
            need to
            > restart. Just right click on network neighborhood and then right
            click and
            > select properties for your wired network connection. From there select
            > TCP/IP in the window and click properties. From there you can assign a
            > static address to your Win XP machine. If you assign an address in
            the range
            > of 192.168.11.* with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 you should be
            good to
            > go.
            >
            > David Taylor

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • loosegroove2000
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 15, 2005
              Thanks for all of your help and patience. I got it working (finally)!