Which way forward?

  • Chris Watts
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 14, 2005
      I have a LinkStation 300GB (HD-H300LAN). The Buffalo site says that these
      are now discontinued but I presume that. software-wise, they are the same as
      the 250GB model which is still available.

      When I bought it, a few months ago, it had v1.45 firmware but I have now
      upgraded it, probably unwisely in view of my current aspirations, to v1.47.
      I was the unaware of the possibilities to hack (if that is the right term)
      the firmware - and am a Linux virgin!

      I am tempted to try some of the unofficial upgrades. Can somebody please
      advise me which the best avenue is for this? And once I have embarked on
      this course is there a way back to the official firmware? And does the
      process of installing any new firmware affect the data contents of the disk?
      And, finally (for the moment :-)) has anybody tried/succeeded in attaching a
      DVD reader or rewriter to the LinkStation box - via the usb port?

      TIA
      Chris