Re: usb sound

  • prb0x
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 14, 2005
      <wartstew@y...> wrote:

      > Oh, I almost forgot: That Kernel image is for a PPC based
      > Linkstation. Don't even think about installing it in a MIPS based LS-
      > 2!

      So what is different in your kernel?

      Cheers,
      Al
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 14, 2005
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "prb0x" <yahoo_ls@t...>
        wrote:

        > So what is different in your kernel?

        Only Buffalo/Melco knows for sure. I can't remember, but this
        kernel is probably either from firmware 1.44 or 1.46 which was where
        I was at when I switched over to Debian. What worries me is that
        the "current" one is different, which means it is likely to have
        some improvements that mine doesn't have. I once suggested someone
        to start a comparison table of what works in which kernel. I know
        my #990 kernel does NOT do iptables well enough to run a DHCP server
        or able to see my USB DVD Burner where as the Kurobox kernel could.
        But the kurobox kernel couldn't run the USB ports at 2.0 speeds.
      • prb0x
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 14, 2005
          <wartstew@y...> wrote:

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "prb0x" <yahoo_ls@t...>
          > wrote:
          >
          > > So what is different in your kernel?
          >
          > Only Buffalo/Melco knows for sure. I can't remember, but this
          > kernel is probably either from firmware 1.44 or 1.46 which was where
          > I was at when I switched over to Debian. What worries me is that
          > the "current" one is different, which means it is likely to have
          > some improvements that mine doesn't have. I once suggested someone
          > to start a comparison table of what works in which kernel. I know
          > my #990 kernel does NOT do iptables well enough to run a DHCP server
          > or able to see my USB DVD Burner where as the Kurobox kernel could.
          > But the kurobox kernel couldn't run the USB ports at 2.0 speeds.

          Oh of course - I didn't quite click #990 is from Melco. Thanks.

          Al
        • lists
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 15, 2005
            Bob, James,

            I was the one James helped out ...

            I had already documented my steps in a new Forum thread but my internet
            connection died before sending it out. Afterwards I just forgot it.

            The setup was quite simple after figuring out that the kernel caused the
            trouble. Afterall it was just:

            Install freelink 1.11
            Install usbutils & hotplug
            Replace the kernel with the one James' provided me with (the fl1 image)
            Chmod for /dev/mixer
            Reboot

            Sound is starting up automatically on boot and works without problems.

            I use mpd to play music and can control it remotely in a couple of ways:
            From my PC using a small Java-app called Jamming, from my Palm using NeoMPC
            (installed on my public internet server) and from my Mobile using MpdRemote
            (also installed on my external server).

            My USB sound device is a C-Media that I bought brandnew via eBay for 0.99
            EUR + S&H (actually 10 EUR as it's shipped from Hongkong).
            If someone wants to buy the same USB device, it's listed dotzens of times in
            eBay for less than $1:
            http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-2-channels-Audio-Controller-Adatper-Lead-Tide_W0QQit
            emZ6831220367QQcategoryZ74957QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
            http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-2-channel-Audio-Controller-Adatper-Lead-Tide-AD63_W0
            QQitemZ5842537684QQcategoryZ41993QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
            http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-USB-5-1-3D-External-USB-Sound-Card-s07_W0QQite
            mZ6831652152QQcategoryZ3701QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
            http://cgi.ebay.com/PC-V5-1ch-USB-KEY-SIZE-AUDIO-SOUND-CARD-MIC-ADAPTOR_W0QQ
            itemZ6831205131QQcategoryZ3701QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

            Regards
            Rainer

            #990 2004 5 21 13:39:00 JST

            I was helping someone get USB sound working who had a #997 kernel and it
            wouldn't work. I had him grab a copy of my #990 kernel and everything
            worked.

            My image of /dev/fl1 (where the kernel is) is at:

            ftp://wartstew.homelinux.net/fl1-image.gz

            (My ftp server loads on demand from inetd so you might have to hit "refresh"
            once if your browser times out.)

            I have USB sound working using a cheap/surplus little C-Media based dongle
            that I payed $15 for some time ago, and the thing works great and sounds
            real good too (real clean, no noise & good fidelity) using just the old OSS
            sound driver (soundcore.o) and the "audio.o" usb driver module.

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Jageman"
            <rcalinjageman@y...> wrote:

            > I've got a debianized linkstation (hdhlan) with samba, vnc, etc.
            >
            > My dream, however, is to get usb audio out my linkstation. I've read
            > through this forum, that yahoo group, and some of the kuro box
            forums.
            > It seems that several users have succeeded with usb audio, but the
            > details have been sketchy, and I haven't been able to get things to
            > work yet.
            >
            > I have a Creative SB Live External 24 bit. I would happily purchase
            > different usb sound to make this work.
            >
            > Upon plugin, I see the device in USBviewer from a vnc connection. I
            get:
            > SB Live! 24-bit External
            > Manufacturer: Creative Technology
            > Speed: 12Mb/s (full)
            > USB Version: 1.10
            > Device Class: 00(>ifc )
            > Device Subclass: 00
            > Device Protocol: 00
            > Maximum Default Endpoint Size: 8
            > Number of Configurations: 1
            > Vendor Id: 041e
            > Product Id: 3040
            > Revision Number: 1.00
            >
            > Following this thread
            > (http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/index.php?
            action=vthread&forum=2&topic=244&page=0#2)
            > I have tried to get the OSS driver to work for this card. From what
            > I've read, OSS will support this sound card, though not to record.
            >
            > I started by doing the manual 'modprobe audio'. It does load the
            > module, but it doesn't seem to fully set up the device, as at the
            end
            > of dmesg I get:
            > and at the end of dmesg is:
            > usb.c: registered new driver hub
            > usb.c: registered new driver audio
            > audio.c: v1.0.0:USB Audio Class driver
            >
            > instead of
            > > usb.c: registered new driver audio
            > > usbaudio: device 2 audiocontrol interface 0 has 1 input and 1
            output
            > AudioStreaming interfaces
            > reported here:
            > (http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/index.php?
            action=vthread&forum=2&topic=244&page=0#2)

            > to be honest, though, I'm not entirely sure how to test the setup.
            > When connected via VNC, I've installed XMMS. For outputs, it has OSS
            > driver, but it has merely 'default' device, and won't play. It seems
            > maybe I should configure this to point to the sound blaster, but I'm
            > too novice to know where to point it.
            >
            > Also, there seems to have been an issue with different module
            versions
            > (http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/index.php?
            action=vthread&forum=3&topic=287&page=0#1),
            > which seems to be resolved, but I don't understand what action was
            > actually taken (how to check which module versions I have loaded,
            how
            > to install a newer version, etc).
            >
            > I've also tried doing the ALSA compile, but the threads on that (in
            > kurobox forum and elsewhere) are even more cryptic and daunting, and
            > I've never been able to get them to compile.
            >
            > Any help would be appreciated.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Bob
            >
            > btw, here is my lsmod as well:
            > Module Size Used by Not tainted
            > audio 42016 0 (unused)
            > usbcore 66604 0 [audio]
            > soundcore 4728 1 [audio]

            play? Video games influencing politics. Click and talk back!
            http://us.click.yahoo.com/2jUsvC/tzNLAA/TtwFAA/O7EolB/TM