Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: usb sound

  • Art Age
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 13, 2005
      James,

      Does this mean you have had luck compiling your own
      custom kernel? I'm still very interested in figuring
      out how to (safely) do that.

      Sam

    • Bob Jageman
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 13, 2005
        James,
        thanks for the reply! You're correct, I have kernal #997. I've
        downloaded the image you linked. Couple of questions, though:
        1) How do I replace the kernal?
        a) I don't have a /dev/fl1, as far as I can tell. Should I use

        mknod /dev/fl1 b 250 1

        as reported in http://linkstationwiki.org/Information/PPCFlashROM? Do
        I need to make all the flash ROM slots?
        b) After gunzip, Do I copy the new kernal with
        cat fl1-image /dev/fl1
        ?

        Just want to be sure before proceeding.

        2) With the new kernal, will I still have to do a modprobe audio?
        Will the usb device just initialize at start up? How should XMMS be
        configured?

        Thanks!

        Bob

        <wartstew@y...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > When connected via VNC, I've installed XMMS. For outputs, it has OSS
        > > driver, but it has merely 'default' device, and won't play. It seems
        > > maybe I should configure this to point to the sound blaster, but I'm
        > > too novice to know where to point it.
        > >
        > > Also, there seems to have been an issue with different module
        > versions
        > > (http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/index.php?
        > action=vthread&forum=3&topic=287&page=0#1),
        > > which seems to be resolved, but I don't understand what action was
        > > actually taken (how to check which module versions I have loaded,
        > how
        > > to install a newer version, etc).
        > >
        > > I've also tried doing the ALSA compile, but the threads on that (in
        > > kurobox forum and elsewhere) are even more cryptic and daunting, and
        > > I've never been able to get them to compile.

      • Bob Jageman
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 13, 2005
          I decided to be brave (or stupid), and things seem to have worked out
          ogreat. Here's what I did:

          Downloaded the fl1-image from james
          gzunzip
          cat /dev/fl1 > fl1-original
          cat fl1-image > /dev/fl1
          sync
          reboot

          during the cat fl1-image > /dev/fl1 command, the linkstation blinked
          red and took some time. upon reboot, uname -v reports kernal #990.
          success!

          next, i pulled out my usb sound blaster. i shutdown the ls
          completely, plugged it in, and then booted. lsmod showed no audio
          modules so I used modprobe audio. small pause, then checked dmesg and
          could see a bunch of info on the sound card. there were some
          errors--only 1 channel seemed to be set up properly, but at least some
          of it looked ok.

          next, I started up vnc server and xmms. with no further configuration
          xmms was playing music through my sound blaster! yes!

          apparently, this setup is a bit finicky. the external volume control
          works, but when i used the external mute, the sound cut out and
          wouldn't cut back in until i physically disconnected and reconnected
          (even through a reboot!).

          anyways, thanks thanks thanks!

          Bob

          next, i checked on usb capability:

          these steps were based on:
          http://www.kurobox.com/online/tiki-index.php?page=Turn+your+Linkstation+into+a+Kuro+Box

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 13, 2005
            Congratulations on figuring all this out yourself!

            I expect your other quirks might be in the drivers, perhaps your
            next project would be to try the ALSA drivers. You'll probably be
            the first to do so on an LS. My experience is that the ALSA
            drivers, though harder to setup, tend to work better.

            I'm assuming you got XMMS running too. On my XMMS I needed to check
            the "Volume controls Master not PCM" setting in the driver Mixer
            setup to get the volume control on XMMS to work right. I also use
            the Crossfade Plugin. Finally I turned off the all "Visualizations"
            to save precious CPU cycles. If you miss having all those Shoutcast
            stream listings that are on Winamp, then apt-get streamtuner &
            streamripper and you'll probably fill your LS with music like I did.

            <rcalinjageman@y...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > > everything worked.
            > > >
            > > > My image of /dev/fl1 (where the kernel is) is at:
            > > >
            > > > ftp://wartstew.homelinux.net/fl1-image.gz
            > > >
            > > > (My ftp server loads on demand from inetd so you might have to
            > > > hit "refresh" once if your browser times out.)
            > > >
            > > > I have USB sound working using a cheap/surplus little C-Media
            based
            > > > dongle that I payed $15 for some time ago, and the thing works
            great
            > > > and sounds real good too (real clean, no noise & good
            fidelity) using
            > > > just the old OSS sound driver (soundcore.o) and the "audio.o"
            usb
            > > > driver module.
            > > >

            > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Jageman"

            I've read
            > > > forums.

            > > > get:

            > > > action=vthread&forum=2&topic=244&page=0#2)
            From what

            > > > end

            > > > output
            > > > action=vthread&forum=2&topic=244&page=0#2)

            It seems

            > > > versions
            > > > action=vthread&forum=3&topic=287&page=0#1),
            > > > how

          • prb0x
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 14, 2005
              <wartstew@y...> wrote:

              > Oh, I almost forgot: That Kernel image is for a PPC based
              > Linkstation. Don't even think about installing it in a MIPS based LS-
              > 2!

              So what is different in your kernel?

              Cheers,
              Al
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 14, 2005
                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "prb0x" <yahoo_ls@t...>
                wrote:

                > So what is different in your kernel?

                Only Buffalo/Melco knows for sure. I can't remember, but this
                kernel is probably either from firmware 1.44 or 1.46 which was where
                I was at when I switched over to Debian. What worries me is that
                the "current" one is different, which means it is likely to have
                some improvements that mine doesn't have. I once suggested someone
                to start a comparison table of what works in which kernel. I know
                my #990 kernel does NOT do iptables well enough to run a DHCP server
                or able to see my USB DVD Burner where as the Kurobox kernel could.
                But the kurobox kernel couldn't run the USB ports at 2.0 speeds.
              • prb0x
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 14, 2005
                  <wartstew@y...> wrote:

                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "prb0x" <yahoo_ls@t...>
                  > wrote:
                  >
                  > > So what is different in your kernel?
                  >
                  > Only Buffalo/Melco knows for sure. I can't remember, but this
                  > kernel is probably either from firmware 1.44 or 1.46 which was where
                  > I was at when I switched over to Debian. What worries me is that
                  > the "current" one is different, which means it is likely to have
                  > some improvements that mine doesn't have. I once suggested someone
                  > to start a comparison table of what works in which kernel. I know
                  > my #990 kernel does NOT do iptables well enough to run a DHCP server
                  > or able to see my USB DVD Burner where as the Kurobox kernel could.
                  > But the kurobox kernel couldn't run the USB ports at 2.0 speeds.

                  Oh of course - I didn't quite click #990 is from Melco. Thanks.

                  Al
                • lists
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 15, 2005
                    Bob, James,

                    I was the one James helped out ...

                    I had already documented my steps in a new Forum thread but my internet
                    connection died before sending it out. Afterwards I just forgot it.

                    The setup was quite simple after figuring out that the kernel caused the
                    trouble. Afterall it was just:

                    Install freelink 1.11
                    Install usbutils & hotplug
                    Replace the kernel with the one James' provided me with (the fl1 image)
                    Chmod for /dev/mixer
                    Reboot

                    Sound is starting up automatically on boot and works without problems.

                    I use mpd to play music and can control it remotely in a couple of ways:
                    From my PC using a small Java-app called Jamming, from my Palm using NeoMPC
                    (installed on my public internet server) and from my Mobile using MpdRemote
                    (also installed on my external server).

                    My USB sound device is a C-Media that I bought brandnew via eBay for 0.99
                    EUR + S&H (actually 10 EUR as it's shipped from Hongkong).
                    If someone wants to buy the same USB device, it's listed dotzens of times in
                    eBay for less than $1:
                    http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-2-channels-Audio-Controller-Adatper-Lead-Tide_W0QQit
                    emZ6831220367QQcategoryZ74957QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
                    http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-2-channel-Audio-Controller-Adatper-Lead-Tide-AD63_W0
                    QQitemZ5842537684QQcategoryZ41993QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
                    http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-USB-5-1-3D-External-USB-Sound-Card-s07_W0QQite
                    mZ6831652152QQcategoryZ3701QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
                    http://cgi.ebay.com/PC-V5-1ch-USB-KEY-SIZE-AUDIO-SOUND-CARD-MIC-ADAPTOR_W0QQ
                    itemZ6831205131QQcategoryZ3701QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

                    Regards
                    Rainer

                    Do a "uname -v" at a shell prompt. I get:

                    #990 2004 5 21 13:39:00 JST

                    <rcalinjageman@y...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > When connected via VNC, I've installed XMMS. For outputs, it has OSS
                    > driver, but it has merely 'default' device, and won't play. It seems
                    > maybe I should configure this to point to the sound blaster, but I'm
                    > too novice to know where to point it.
                    >
                    > Also, there seems to have been an issue with different module
                    versions
                    > (http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/index.php?
                    action=vthread&forum=3&topic=287&page=0#1),
                    > which seems to be resolved, but I don't understand what action was
                    > actually taken (how to check which module versions I have loaded,
                    how
                    > to install a newer version, etc).
                    >
                    > I've also tried doing the ALSA compile, but the threads on that (in
                    > kurobox forum and elsewhere) are even more cryptic and daunting, and
                    > I've never been able to get them to compile.

                    play? Video games influencing politics. Click and talk back!
                    http://us.click.yahoo.com/2jUsvC/tzNLAA/TtwFAA/O7EolB/TM