Re: usb sound

    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 13, 2005
      Exactly what kernel do you have?

      Do a "uname -v" at a shell prompt. I get:

      #990 2004 5 21 13:39:00 JST

      I was helping someone get USB sound working who had a #997 kernel and
      it wouldn't work. I had him grab a copy of my #990 kernel and
      everything worked.

      My image of /dev/fl1 (where the kernel is) is at:

      ftp://wartstew.homelinux.net/fl1-image.gz

      (My ftp server loads on demand from inetd so you might have to
      hit "refresh" once if your browser times out.)

      I have USB sound working using a cheap/surplus little C-Media based
      dongle that I payed $15 for some time ago, and the thing works great
      and sounds real good too (real clean, no noise & good fidelity) using
      just the old OSS sound driver (soundcore.o) and the "audio.o" usb
      driver module.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Jageman"
      <rcalinjageman@y...> wrote:

      > I've got a debianized linkstation (hdhlan) with samba, vnc, etc.
      >
      > My dream, however, is to get usb audio out my linkstation. I've read
      > through this forum, that yahoo group, and some of the kuro box
      forums.
      > It seems that several users have succeeded with usb audio, but the
      > details have been sketchy, and I haven't been able to get things to
      > work yet.
      >
      > I have a Creative SB Live External 24 bit. I would happily purchase
      > different usb sound to make this work.
      >
      > Upon plugin, I see the device in USBviewer from a vnc connection. I
      get:
      > SB Live! 24-bit External
      > Manufacturer: Creative Technology
      > Speed: 12Mb/s (full)
      > USB Version: 1.10
      > Device Class: 00(>ifc )
      > Device Subclass: 00
      > Device Protocol: 00
      > Maximum Default Endpoint Size: 8
      > Number of Configurations: 1
      > Vendor Id: 041e
      > Product Id: 3040
      > Revision Number: 1.00
      >
      > Following this thread
      > (http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/index.php?
      action=vthread&forum=2&topic=244&page=0#2)
      > I have tried to get the OSS driver to work for this card. From what
      > I've read, OSS will support this sound card, though not to record.
      >
      > I started by doing the manual 'modprobe audio'. It does load the
      > module, but it doesn't seem to fully set up the device, as at the
      end
      > of dmesg I get:
      > and at the end of dmesg is:
      > usb.c: registered new driver hub
      > usb.c: registered new driver audio
      > audio.c: v1.0.0:USB Audio Class driver
      >
      > instead of
      > > usb.c: registered new driver audio
      > > usbaudio: device 2 audiocontrol interface 0 has 1 input and 1
      output
      > AudioStreaming interfaces
      > reported here:
      > (http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/index.php?
      action=vthread&forum=2&topic=244&page=0#2)

      > to be honest, though, I'm not entirely sure how to test the setup.
      > When connected via VNC, I've installed XMMS. For outputs, it has OSS
      > driver, but it has merely 'default' device, and won't play. It seems
      > maybe I should configure this to point to the sound blaster, but I'm
      > too novice to know where to point it.
      >
      > Also, there seems to have been an issue with different module
      versions
      > (http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/index.php?
      action=vthread&forum=3&topic=287&page=0#1),

      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 13, 2005
        Oh, I almost forgot: That Kernel image is for a PPC based
        Linkstation. Don't even think about installing it in a MIPS based LS-
        2!
      • Art Age
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 13, 2005
          James,

          Does this mean you have had luck compiling your own
          custom kernel? I'm still very interested in figuring
          out how to (safely) do that.

          Sam

        • Bob Jageman
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 13, 2005
            James,
            thanks for the reply! You're correct, I have kernal #997. I've
            downloaded the image you linked. Couple of questions, though:
            1) How do I replace the kernal?
            a) I don't have a /dev/fl1, as far as I can tell. Should I use

            mknod /dev/fl1 b 250 1

            as reported in http://linkstationwiki.org/Information/PPCFlashROM? Do
            I need to make all the flash ROM slots?
            b) After gunzip, Do I copy the new kernal with
            cat fl1-image /dev/fl1
            ?

            Just want to be sure before proceeding.

            2) With the new kernal, will I still have to do a modprobe audio?
            Will the usb device just initialize at start up? How should XMMS be
            configured?

            Thanks!

            Bob

            <wartstew@y...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > When connected via VNC, I've installed XMMS. For outputs, it has OSS
            > > driver, but it has merely 'default' device, and won't play. It seems
            > > maybe I should configure this to point to the sound blaster, but I'm
            > > too novice to know where to point it.
            > >
            > > Also, there seems to have been an issue with different module
            > versions
            > > (http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/index.php?
            > action=vthread&forum=3&topic=287&page=0#1),
            > > which seems to be resolved, but I don't understand what action was
            > > actually taken (how to check which module versions I have loaded,
            > how
            > > to install a newer version, etc).
            > >
            > > I've also tried doing the ALSA compile, but the threads on that (in
            > > kurobox forum and elsewhere) are even more cryptic and daunting, and
            > > I've never been able to get them to compile.

          • Bob Jageman
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 13, 2005
              I decided to be brave (or stupid), and things seem to have worked out
              ogreat. Here's what I did:

              Downloaded the fl1-image from james
              gzunzip
              cat /dev/fl1 > fl1-original
              cat fl1-image > /dev/fl1
              sync
              reboot

              during the cat fl1-image > /dev/fl1 command, the linkstation blinked
              red and took some time. upon reboot, uname -v reports kernal #990.
              success!

              next, i pulled out my usb sound blaster. i shutdown the ls
              completely, plugged it in, and then booted. lsmod showed no audio
              modules so I used modprobe audio. small pause, then checked dmesg and
              could see a bunch of info on the sound card. there were some
              errors--only 1 channel seemed to be set up properly, but at least some
              of it looked ok.

              next, I started up vnc server and xmms. with no further configuration
              xmms was playing music through my sound blaster! yes!

              apparently, this setup is a bit finicky. the external volume control
              works, but when i used the external mute, the sound cut out and
              wouldn't cut back in until i physically disconnected and reconnected
              (even through a reboot!).

              anyways, thanks thanks thanks!

              Bob

              next, i checked on usb capability:

              these steps were based on:
              http://www.kurobox.com/online/tiki-index.php?page=Turn+your+Linkstation+into+a+Kuro+Box

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 13, 2005
                Congratulations on figuring all this out yourself!

                I expect your other quirks might be in the drivers, perhaps your
                next project would be to try the ALSA drivers. You'll probably be
                the first to do so on an LS. My experience is that the ALSA
                drivers, though harder to setup, tend to work better.

                I'm assuming you got XMMS running too. On my XMMS I needed to check
                the "Volume controls Master not PCM" setting in the driver Mixer
                setup to get the volume control on XMMS to work right. I also use
                the Crossfade Plugin. Finally I turned off the all "Visualizations"
                to save precious CPU cycles. If you miss having all those Shoutcast
                stream listings that are on Winamp, then apt-get streamtuner &
                streamripper and you'll probably fill your LS with music like I did.

                <rcalinjageman@y...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > > everything worked.
                > > >
                > > > My image of /dev/fl1 (where the kernel is) is at:
                > > >
                > > > ftp://wartstew.homelinux.net/fl1-image.gz
                > > >
                > > > (My ftp server loads on demand from inetd so you might have to
                > > > hit "refresh" once if your browser times out.)
                > > >
                > > > I have USB sound working using a cheap/surplus little C-Media
                based
                > > > dongle that I payed $15 for some time ago, and the thing works
                great
                > > > and sounds real good too (real clean, no noise & good
                fidelity) using
                > > > just the old OSS sound driver (soundcore.o) and the "audio.o"
                usb
                > > > driver module.
                > > >

                > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Jageman"

                I've read
                > > > forums.

                > > > get:

                > > > action=vthread&forum=2&topic=244&page=0#2)
                From what

                > > > end

                > > > output
                > > > action=vthread&forum=2&topic=244&page=0#2)

                It seems

                > > > versions
                > > > action=vthread&forum=3&topic=287&page=0#1),
                > > > how

              • prb0x
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 14, 2005
                  <wartstew@y...> wrote:

                  > Oh, I almost forgot: That Kernel image is for a PPC based
                  > Linkstation. Don't even think about installing it in a MIPS based LS-
                  > 2!

                  So what is different in your kernel?

                  Cheers,
                  Al
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 14, 2005
                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "prb0x" <yahoo_ls@t...>
                    wrote:

                    > So what is different in your kernel?

                    Only Buffalo/Melco knows for sure. I can't remember, but this
                    kernel is probably either from firmware 1.44 or 1.46 which was where
                    I was at when I switched over to Debian. What worries me is that
                    the "current" one is different, which means it is likely to have
                    some improvements that mine doesn't have. I once suggested someone
                    to start a comparison table of what works in which kernel. I know
                    my #990 kernel does NOT do iptables well enough to run a DHCP server
                    or able to see my USB DVD Burner where as the Kurobox kernel could.
                    But the kurobox kernel couldn't run the USB ports at 2.0 speeds.
                  • prb0x
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 14, 2005
                      <wartstew@y...> wrote:

                      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "prb0x" <yahoo_ls@t...>
                      > wrote:
                      >
                      > > So what is different in your kernel?
                      >
                      > Only Buffalo/Melco knows for sure. I can't remember, but this
                      > kernel is probably either from firmware 1.44 or 1.46 which was where
                      > I was at when I switched over to Debian. What worries me is that
                      > the "current" one is different, which means it is likely to have
                      > some improvements that mine doesn't have. I once suggested someone
                      > to start a comparison table of what works in which kernel. I know
                      > my #990 kernel does NOT do iptables well enough to run a DHCP server
                      > or able to see my USB DVD Burner where as the Kurobox kernel could.
                      > But the kurobox kernel couldn't run the USB ports at 2.0 speeds.

                      Oh of course - I didn't quite click #990 is from Melco. Thanks.

                      Al
                    • lists
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 15, 2005
                        Bob, James,

                        I was the one James helped out ...

                        I had already documented my steps in a new Forum thread but my internet
                        connection died before sending it out. Afterwards I just forgot it.

                        The setup was quite simple after figuring out that the kernel caused the
                        trouble. Afterall it was just:

                        Install freelink 1.11
                        Install usbutils & hotplug
                        Replace the kernel with the one James' provided me with (the fl1 image)
                        Chmod for /dev/mixer
                        Reboot

                        Sound is starting up automatically on boot and works without problems.

                        I use mpd to play music and can control it remotely in a couple of ways:
                        From my PC using a small Java-app called Jamming, from my Palm using NeoMPC
                        (installed on my public internet server) and from my Mobile using MpdRemote
                        (also installed on my external server).

                        My USB sound device is a C-Media that I bought brandnew via eBay for 0.99
                        EUR + S&H (actually 10 EUR as it's shipped from Hongkong).
                        If someone wants to buy the same USB device, it's listed dotzens of times in
                        eBay for less than $1:
                        http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-2-channels-Audio-Controller-Adatper-Lead-Tide_W0QQit
                        emZ6831220367QQcategoryZ74957QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
                        http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-2-channel-Audio-Controller-Adatper-Lead-Tide-AD63_W0
                        QQitemZ5842537684QQcategoryZ41993QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
                        http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-USB-5-1-3D-External-USB-Sound-Card-s07_W0QQite
                        mZ6831652152QQcategoryZ3701QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
                        http://cgi.ebay.com/PC-V5-1ch-USB-KEY-SIZE-AUDIO-SOUND-CARD-MIC-ADAPTOR_W0QQ
                        itemZ6831205131QQcategoryZ3701QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

                        Regards
                        Rainer

                        Do a "uname -v" at a shell prompt. I get:

                        #990 2004 5 21 13:39:00 JST

                        <rcalinjageman@y...> wrote:

> [...]
                        > When connected via VNC, I've installed XMMS. For outputs, it has OSS
                        > driver, but it has merely 'default' device, and won't play. It seems
                        > maybe I should configure this to point to the sound blaster, but I'm
                        > too novice to know where to point it.
                        >
                        > Also, there seems to have been an issue with different module
                        versions
                        > (http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/index.php?
                        action=vthread&forum=3&topic=287&page=0#1),
                        > which seems to be resolved, but I don't understand what action was
                        > actually taken (how to check which module versions I have loaded,
                        how
                        > to install a newer version, etc).
                        >
                        > I've also tried doing the ALSA compile, but the threads on that (in
                        > kurobox forum and elsewhere) are even more cryptic and daunting, and
                        > I've never been able to get them to compile.

                        play? Video games influencing politics. Click and talk back!
                        http://us.click.yahoo.com/2jUsvC/tzNLAA/TtwFAA/O7EolB/TM