Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: Telnet access with MIPS LinkStation?

  • James Ronald
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 13, 2005
      A Linkstation running 1.45 firmware would be a PPC based LS.

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 14, 2005
        Hi All
        thanks for the various replies. I worked out shortly after I'd
        posted my query that the eg. 1.45 firmwares referred to were PPC-LS's,
        and that (for some reason) the MIPS stock firmware doesn't have telnet
        enabled. I since successfully upgraded the firmware to Openlink and
        have telnet access. It's a start...

        BTW, is there any general opinion on the superiority of PPC- compared
        with MIPS-based Linkstations? Any idea why Buffalo changed?

        Thanks
        Jon N

        <jronald@c...> wrote:

        > A Linkstation running 1.45 firmware would be a PPC based LS.

        LinkStation?

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 14, 2005
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Jon Nicoll" <jkn@n...>
          wrote:

          > BTW, is there any general opinion on the superiority of PPC-
          > compared with MIPS-based Linkstations?

          Not much other than a more mature hacking effort on the older PPC
          ones. Someone made a comment that they thought the fan runs louder
          on the MIPS based one so perhaps it gets hotter? It would be nice
          if someone could run a USB speed test on the MIPS to see if they
          fixed the "debug mode left in the kernel" problem that the PPC ones
          had or not. If the USB speed is much greater on the MIPS, that
          would be good for many people.

          > Any idea why Buffalo> changed?

          It is just a guess, but maybe Melco was having the same problem
          Apple has had getting enough PPC's out of Freescale/IBM to fill the
          orders?