RE: [LinkStation_General] Re: Connecting Linkstation 120GB directly to Win XP

  • David Taylor
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 13, 2005
      you need to be running a DCHP server on your computer. I believe the default
      for the linkstation is to get it's IP address from a DCHP server.

      David Taylor

      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 14, 2005
        Ok, how do you run a DCHP server on my computer? I just want to be
        able to connect the LS directly to my computer if needed.

        --
        Bronson

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "David Taylor"
        <dataylor@t...> wrote:

        > you need to be running a DCHP server on your computer. I believe the
        default
        > for the linkstation is to get it's IP address from a DCHP server.
        >
        > David Taylor
      • David Taylor
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 14, 2005
          Just connect it to your switch and configure it with a static IP address and
          subnet mask. Then you should be able to connect it directly to your computer
          without a DCHP server.

          David Taylor

          <dataylor@t...> wrote:

          > you need to be running a DCHP server on your computer. I believe the
          default
          > for the linkstation is to get it's IP address from a DCHP server.
          >
          > David Taylor

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • gouldyis
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 14, 2005
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "loosegroove2000"
            <bronson.elliott@g...> wrote:

            > Ok, how do you run a DCHP server on my computer? I just want to
            be
            > able to connect the LS directly to my computer if needed.
            >
            > --
            > Bronson
            >

            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "David Taylor"
            > <dataylor@t...> wrote:
            > >
            > > you need to be running a DCHP server on your computer. I believe
            the
            > default
            > > for the linkstation is to get it's IP address from a DCHP server.
            > >
            > > David Taylor

            I connect my LS's to my PC occasionnaly. Just make sure PC'c IP
            address is in the same range as the LS, is the default for LS
            192.168.11.150.

            Have you run the setup disk with the IP configuration tool etc
          • loosegroove2000
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 14, 2005
              So I can change my PC IP address to a static one (for example
              192.168.11.149) and I should be able to connect directly to the LS?
              Must I run the setup disk in order to get the PC to see the LS?

              Do I need to restart, etc after I reset the IP? Any other settings I
              need to change?

              Thanks for the help!

              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "gouldyis" <gouldyis@y...>

              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 14, 2005
                Yes, you will need to assign a static address to the PC too since you don't
                have a DCHP server on your PC. If you are running Win XP you won't need to
                restart. Just right click on network neighborhood and then right click and
                select properties for your wired network connection. From there select
                TCP/IP in the window and click properties. From there you can assign a
                static address to your Win XP machine. If you assign an address in the range
                of 192.168.11.* with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 you should be good to
                go.

                David Taylor

                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 14, 2005
                  Thank you for your patience. One more question.

                  Right now, I have the LS setup to get the IP address automatically when
                  it's connected to the router. Works fine.

                  Reading the user manual from Buffalo they state the following:

                  [quote]
                  If Linkstation was plugged directly into a PC, then the DHCP function
                  will timeout and give Linkstation the default IP address of
                  192.168.11.150.
                  [/quote]

                  So, I'm correct in thinking that I can still leave the Linkstation as
                  getting the IP automatically and since it won't get one, it will reset
                  to the default IP automatically. All I need to change is the IP on the
                  PC. Just making sure.

                  Thanks again and sorry for so many basic questions.

                  <dataylor@t...> wrote:

                  > Yes, you will need to assign a static address to the PC too since you
                  don't
                  > have a DCHP server on your PC. If you are running Win XP you won't
                  need to
                  > restart. Just right click on network neighborhood and then right
                  click and
                  > select properties for your wired network connection. From there select
                  > TCP/IP in the window and click properties. From there you can assign a
                  > static address to your Win XP machine. If you assign an address in
                  the range
                  > of 192.168.11.* with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 you should be
                  good to
                  > go.
                  >
                  > David Taylor
                • David Taylor
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 14, 2005
                    You are correct Your PC needs a static address assigned since it won't be
                    able to get an address from the DCHP server. Just assign it something like
                    192.168.11.1. The problem there is that your router is assigning addresses
                    to other devices on your network (including the Linkstation) so your PC will
                    now be on a different network segment and it will not see any of the devices
                    that are served an IP address from the router including the Linkstation
                    since the LInkstation will receive an address from the router

                    So, you will need to either set the fallback IP address on the Linkstation
                    to the same network segment as the DCHP your router is using or you will
                    need to change the router's DCHP config so it serves IP addresses on the
                    same segment as your LInkstation. In both cases, you will need to assign a
                    static IP address to your computer too and that address needs to have the
                    same first 3 numbers. Your router is likely set up to serve addresses from
                    192.168.0.100 and up or 192.168.1.100 and up. That means your network
                    devices will be assigned an address of 192.168.0.100 or something like that.
                    That third number (actually the first 3 numbers 192.168.0 here and
                    192.168.11 on your LInkstation) must be the same for them to talk to each
                    other since your subnet mask is most likely 255.255.255.0 which means that
                    the first 3 numbers in the ip address need to match in order for the devices
                    to see each other. If you only have a few devices on your network you can
                    just assign static addresses all of them, turn off the DCHP server all
                    together, and call it a day (192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.2, etc). I have 12
                    devices on my network and just assign all devices a static address and keep
                    a written list for reference. This way I always know the address of the web,
                    ftp, etc. server in my Kuro box and can easily set up port forwarding in my
                    router so I can get to them over the internet.

                    So, to summarize:
                    1. Assign a static address to your PC.
                    2. Change the fallback address on your Linkstation to the same network
                    segment as the PC.
                    3. configure your DCHP server (in your router) to serve addresses on the
                    same network segment (with the same first 3 numbers as the IP addresses for
                    the Linkstation and PC).

                    David Taylor

                    <dataylor@t...> wrote:

                    > Yes, you will need to assign a static address to the PC too since you
                    don't
                    > have a DCHP server on your PC. If you are running Win XP you won't
                    need to
                    > restart. Just right click on network neighborhood and then right
                    click and
                    > select properties for your wired network connection. From there select
                    > TCP/IP in the window and click properties. From there you can assign a
                    > static address to your Win XP machine. If you assign an address in
                    the range
                    > of 192.168.11.* with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 you should be
                    good to
                    > go.
                    >
                    > David Taylor

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • loosegroove2000
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 15, 2005
                      Thanks for all of your help and patience. I got it working (finally)!