Telnet access with MIPS LinkStation?

  • Jon Nicoll
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 12, 2005
      Hi All
      I've just bought a 120Gb Linkstation. Hurrah!

      It seems to be a MIPS version (ie. no Ethernet crossover switch). I
      want to do some hacking on it and have been reading various howtos
      about getting root access.

      However I can't even telnet to the box! I get a 'can't connect'
      message when I try to telnet to the IP address.

      From what I've read, I though that telent was running on the 'stock'
      firmware. Is it different on the MIPS firmware, or am I missing
      another trick?

      Thanks for any pointers

      jon N
    • calvinlsc
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 12, 2005
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Jon Nicoll" <jkn@n...>
        wrote:

        > Hi All
        > I've just bought a 120Gb Linkstation. Hurrah!
        >
        > It seems to be a MIPS version (ie. no Ethernet crossover switch). I
        > want to do some hacking on it and have been reading various howtos
        > about getting root access.
        >
        > However I can't even telnet to the box! I get a 'can't connect'
        > message when I try to telnet to the IP address.
        >
        > From what I've read, I though that telent was running on the 'stock'
        > firmware. Is it different on the MIPS firmware, or am I missing
        > another trick?
        >
        > Thanks for any pointers
        >
        > jon N

        For a MIPS LS, you need to flash the unit with OpenLink. There is no
        stock firmware with telnet support for MIPS LS as I know.
      • Brian Cowan
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 13, 2005
          calvinlsc wrote:

          > For a MIPS LS, you need to flash the unit with OpenLink. There is no
          > stock firmware with telnet support for MIPS LS as I know.

          This is news to me, I have telnet access on my LS 1.45 firmware...
        • James Ronald
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 13, 2005
            A Linkstation running 1.45 firmware would be a PPC based LS.

            >> For a MIPS LS, you need to flash the unit with OpenLink. There is no
            >> stock firmware with telnet support for MIPS LS as I know.
            >>
            > This is news to me, I have telnet access on my LS 1.45 firmware...
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Jon Nicoll
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 14, 2005
              Hi All
              thanks for the various replies. I worked out shortly after I'd
              posted my query that the eg. 1.45 firmwares referred to were PPC-LS's,
              and that (for some reason) the MIPS stock firmware doesn't have telnet
              enabled. I since successfully upgraded the firmware to Openlink and
              have telnet access. It's a start...

              BTW, is there any general opinion on the superiority of PPC- compared
              with MIPS-based Linkstations? Any idea why Buffalo changed?

              Thanks
              Jon N

              <jronald@c...> wrote:

              > A Linkstation running 1.45 firmware would be a PPC based LS.

              LinkStation?

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 14, 2005
                wrote:

                > BTW, is there any general opinion on the superiority of PPC-
                > compared with MIPS-based Linkstations?

                Not much other than a more mature hacking effort on the older PPC
                ones. Someone made a comment that they thought the fan runs louder
                on the MIPS based one so perhaps it gets hotter? It would be nice
                if someone could run a USB speed test on the MIPS to see if they
                fixed the "debug mode left in the kernel" problem that the PPC ones
                had or not. If the USB speed is much greater on the MIPS, that
                would be good for many people.

                > Any idea why Buffalo> changed?

                It is just a guess, but maybe Melco was having the same problem
                Apple has had getting enough PPC's out of Freescale/IBM to fill the
                orders?