newbie -- telnet access on LS120 with 1.47

  • cdoe333
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 11, 2005
      My fan died in my LS120 so I found directions on how to open the case
      and I replaced the fan. Unfortunately the new fan is louder than the
      old one which bugs me. I found the software which turns the fan off
      if the drive is inactive but telnet access is required to install and
      tweak.

      I've looked through the files areas and other messages and everyone
      assumes you already have telnet access to the LS. I've tried
      telneting to port 23 and port 80 with no luck as well as using SSH to
      port 22 with zero results. What is the magic incantation to enable
      telnet access so I can install the quiet fan utility?

      LinkStation 120 with 1.47 firmware.

      Thanks

      Carlton
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 13, 2005
        Unless it is something I don't know about, that utility just turns
        the fan speed down to half speed, which in my case my LS was already
        running it at that speed. The "software" in this case is
        just a charactor string you send to the AVR processor.

        Here are some other ideas:

        1) I'm still on my old fan. It got noisy a few months ago, I pulled
        it out, pulled the sticker off the hub, squeezed some grease (I
        think silicone paste works best) into it and put the sticker back
        on. So far it has been running strong and quiet.

        2) You might put a 2-watt or greater resistor of some value (200
        ohms to start with?) in series in one of the leads to slow it down.

        3) Or this trick I do all the time on old PC's I want to quiet down
        (if they don't run hot too begin with!): I connect the 12 volt fan
        between the +12 and +5 power supply leads which runs it off of
        12-5=7 Volts, which seems to run it at the right speed to keep it
        going reliably, but quiet. I'm assuming the LS fan is 12 volts, I
        don't really know.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "cdoe333" <cdoe333@y...>
        wrote:

        > My fan died in my LS120 so I found directions on how to open the
        > case and I replaced the fan. Unfortunately the new fan is louder
        > than the old one which bugs me. I found the software which turns
        > the fan off if the drive is inactive but telnet access is required
        > to install and tweak.
        >
        > I've looked through the files areas and other messages and
        > everyone assumes you already have telnet access to the LS. I've
        > tried telneting to port 23 and port 80 with no luck as well as
        > using SSH to port 22 with zero results. What is the magic
        > incantation to enable telnet access so I can install the quiet fan
        > utility?

        Most people install Openlink:

        http://linkstationwiki.org/Projects/OpenLink

        But read up on it first. It has been known to be a little dangerous
        at times.