Re: What to do next

  • waterman24560
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 10, 2005
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "gouldyis"
      <gouldyis@y...> wrote:

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "waterman24560"
      > <malcolm_e_stewart@c...> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "gouldyis"
      > > <gouldyis@y...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "waterman24560"

      > > upgraded the

      > > > Create a folder via Ls webinterface called media
      > > > Then goto that folder and create a new folder called Server
      > > >
      > > > Put the correct twonkyvision (mediaserver for mips) in the
      Server
      > > folder.
      > > >
      > > > Download the twonky script from the files section, there are 2
      > > lines
      > > > that need altering within that script I think as it's written
      for
      > > the
      > > > LS1. The 2 lines have /mnt/media/Server, change
      > > to /mnt/hda/media/Server.
      > > >
      > > > Put that script in your Linkstations share folder.
      > > >
      > > > Open up a telnet session, then I reckon you can just copy and
      paste
      > > > each line at a time into telnet:
      > > >

      > > > cp /mnt/hda/share/twonky /etc/init.d/twonky
      > > > chmod 777 /etc/init.d/twonky
      > > >
      > > > cd /etc/init.d/
      > > > ./twonky restart
      > > >
      > > > If that doesn't say something about stopping pids and waiting
      then
      > > > stop there. Otherwise copy the rest
      > > >
      > > > cd /etc/rc.d/rc2.d
      > > > ln -s /etc/init.d/twonky S99twonky
      > > >
      > > > cd /etc/rc.d/rc6.d
      > > > ln -s /etc/init.d/twonky K92twonky
      > > >
      > > > cd /etc/rc.d/rc0.d
      > > > ln -s /etc/init.d/twonky K92twonky
      > > >
      > > > shutdown -r now
      > > > ----------
      > > > See if it works
      > > >
      > > > You'll get a red screen if you try to connect to the twonky
      > > > webinterface (if you've got that far) the .ini file thats
      created
      > > in
      > > > the Server folder needs 'enableweb=2'
      > > >
      > > Thanks for your advice, so far so good.
      > >
      > > Got the Twonky web interface (all red as you said) so changed
      the
      > > attribute and voila, all OK. Even I found Twonky on my DSM-320.
      > >
      > > Only 2 problems left.
      > >
      > > Firstly, when I shut-down the LS, Twonky does not auto restart.
      > > have to telnet the restart.
      > >
      > > Secondly, I have put all my media files into separate shared
      folders
      > > on the LS (my_music, my_videos, my_pictures). What are the
      directory
      > > paths needed by Twonky ?
      > >
      > > Thanks in advance for your further advice.
      > >

      > Sure the second part was entered correctly?
      >
      > You should see twonky somewhere if you run each of these commands?
      > (After reboot)
      > ls -l /etc/rc.d/rc2.d
      > ls -l /etc/rc.d/rc6.d
      > ls -l /etc/rc.d/rc0.d
      >
      > Twonky interface - under general and then contentdir, try:
      >
      > /mnt/hda/my_music,/mnt/hda/my_videos,/mnt/hda/my_pictures

      Thanks a million guys.

      Both problems sorted in one go.

      I now have a fully functioning LS and Twonky and all within 48 hours
      of starting the project.
    • David Taylor
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 10, 2005
        I want to add ftp serving to my Kuro (PPC). Anybody have any suggestions as
        to which one? I'm looking for a basic FTP package that will compile on the
        first try that doesn't use many resources. I need anonymous FTP as well as
        authenticated with not more than about 2 users at a time.

        David Taylor
      • David Taylor
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 11, 2005
          Never mind. Vsftpd works. If you 'emerge -g vsftpd' it will install in about
          2 minutes as there is a binary available.

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 14, 2005
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "David Taylor"
            <dataylor@t...> wrote:

            > I want to add ftp serving to my Kuro (PPC). Anybody have any
            suggestions as
            > to which one? I'm looking for a basic FTP package that will
            compile on the
            > first try that doesn't use many resources. I need anonymous FTP as
            well as
            > authenticated with not more than about 2 users at a time.
            >
            > David Taylor

            I do have ProFTP running on my PPC machine. I think you can grab
            the binaries from Debian-Woody and they would just run. There might
            be a couple of dependent libraries you need to install however.

            ProFTP is also on the Linkstation "firmware" if you want to unpack
            one of them and dig it out, or someone like me can simply get it to
            you. I still have the original filesystem out, abandoned on my LS.
            I did an "ldd" on proftpd and got this:

            libcrypt.so.1 => /lib/libcrypt.so.1 (0x0ffb3000)
            libpam.so.0 => /lib/libpam.so.0 (0x0ff89000)
            libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x0fe3e000)
            libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x0fe1b000)
            /lib/ld.so.1 (0x30000000)

            so let us know what dependent libraries you also might need if you
            want us to send you anything.
          • David Taylor
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 14, 2005
              Thanks for the offer but I managed to get vsftpd running already. As I
              posted earlier, it compiled and ran on the first attempt. Now I just need to
              find the time to get it configured to my liking. Once that is done, I'll
              start on getting a mail server running.

              Thanks again for the help.

              David Taylor

              > I want to add ftp serving to my Kuro (PPC). Anybody have any
              suggestions as
              > to which one? I'm looking for a basic FTP package that will
              compile on the
              > first try that doesn't use many resources. I need anonymous FTP as
              well as
              > authenticated with not more than about 2 users at a time.
              >
              > David Taylor

              I do have ProFTP running on my PPC machine. I think you can grab
              the binaries from Debian-Woody and they would just run. There might
              be a couple of dependent libraries you need to install however.

              ProFTP is also on the Linkstation "firmware" if you want to unpack
              one of them and dig it out, or someone like me can simply get it to
              you. I still have the original filesystem out, abandoned on my LS.
              I did an "ldd" on proftpd and got this:

              libcrypt.so.1 => /lib/libcrypt.so.1 (0x0ffb3000)
              libpam.so.0 => /lib/libpam.so.0 (0x0ff89000)
              libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x0fe3e000)
              libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x0fe1b000)
              /lib/ld.so.1 (0x30000000)

              so let us know what dependent libraries you also might need if you
              want us to send you anything.

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • roundajr2579
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 28, 2006
                Hi

                Im also a newbie to this and trying to make my way through this,
                however can anyone expand on what is meant by "Download the twonky
                script from the files section" as I cannot find this info??

                Thanks