What to do next

  • waterman24560
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 8, 2005
      I am a real dummy with this.

      I have a 250 Gb MIPS and have downloaded Openlink 52b and upgraded the
      2.05 firmware with 52b.

      What do I need to do next for installing Twonky ? I just do not
      understand the Twonky How-To instructions.

      Thanks for any guidance or suggestions on where to look.

      waterman24560
    • gouldyis
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 8, 2005
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "waterman24560"
        <malcolm_e_stewart@c...> wrote:

        > I am a real dummy with this.
        >
        > I have a 250 Gb MIPS and have downloaded Openlink 52b and upgraded the
        > 2.05 firmware with 52b.
        >
        > What do I need to do next for installing Twonky ? I just do not
        > understand the Twonky How-To instructions.
        >
        > Thanks for any guidance or suggestions on where to look.
        >
        > waterman24560

        Create a folder via Ls webinterface called media
        Then goto that folder and create a new folder called Server

        Put the correct twonkyvision (mediaserver for mips) in the Server folder.

        Download the twonky script from the files section, there are 2 lines
        that need altering within that script I think as it's written for the
        LS1. The 2 lines have /mnt/media/Server, change to /mnt/hda/media/Server.

        Put that script in your Linkstations share folder.

        Open up a telnet session, then I reckon you can just copy and paste
        each line at a time into telnet:

        cp /mnt/hda/share/twonky /etc/init.d/twonky
        chmod 777 /etc/init.d/twonky

        cd /etc/init.d/
        ./twonky restart

        If that doesn't say something about stopping pids and waiting then
        stop there. Otherwise copy the rest

        cd /etc/rc.d/rc2.d
        ln -s /etc/init.d/twonky S99twonky

        cd /etc/rc.d/rc6.d
        ln -s /etc/init.d/twonky K92twonky

        cd /etc/rc.d/rc0.d
        ln -s /etc/init.d/twonky K92twonky

        shutdown -r now
        ----------
        See if it works

        You'll get a red screen if you try to connect to the twonky
        webinterface (if you've got that far) the .ini file thats created in
        the Server folder needs 'enableweb=2'
      • waterman24560
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 9, 2005
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "gouldyis"
          <gouldyis@y...> wrote:

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "waterman24560"
          > <malcolm_e_stewart@c...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I am a real dummy with this.
          > >
          > > I have a 250 Gb MIPS and have downloaded Openlink 52b and
          upgraded the
          > > 2.05 firmware with 52b.
          > >
          > > What do I need to do next for installing Twonky ? I just do not
          > > understand the Twonky How-To instructions.
          > >
          > > Thanks for any guidance or suggestions on where to look.
          > >
          > > waterman24560
          > >
          > Create a folder via Ls webinterface called media
          > Then goto that folder and create a new folder called Server
          >
          > Put the correct twonkyvision (mediaserver for mips) in the Server
          folder.

          > Download the twonky script from the files section, there are 2
          lines
          > that need altering within that script I think as it's written for
          the
          > LS1. The 2 lines have /mnt/media/Server, change
          to /mnt/hda/media/Server.

          > Put that script in your Linkstations share folder.
          >
          > Open up a telnet session, then I reckon you can just copy and paste
          > each line at a time into telnet:
          >

          > cp /mnt/hda/share/twonky /etc/init.d/twonky
          > chmod 777 /etc/init.d/twonky
          >
          > cd /etc/init.d/
          > ./twonky restart
          >
          > If that doesn't say something about stopping pids and waiting then
          > stop there. Otherwise copy the rest
          >
          > cd /etc/rc.d/rc2.d
          > ln -s /etc/init.d/twonky S99twonky
          >
          > cd /etc/rc.d/rc6.d
          > ln -s /etc/init.d/twonky K92twonky
          >
          > cd /etc/rc.d/rc0.d
          > ln -s /etc/init.d/twonky K92twonky
          >
          > shutdown -r now
          > ----------
          > See if it works
          >
          > You'll get a red screen if you try to connect to the twonky
          > webinterface (if you've got that far) the .ini file thats created
          in
          > the Server folder needs 'enableweb=2'

          Thanks for your advice, so far so good.

          Got the Twonky web interface (all red as you said) so changed the
          attribute and voila, all OK. Even I found Twonky on my DSM-320.

          Only 2 problems left.

          Firstly, when I shut-down the LS, Twonky does not auto restart. I
          have to telnet the restart.

          Secondly, I have put all my media files into separate shared folders
          on the LS (my_music, my_videos, my_pictures). What are the directory
          paths needed by Twonky ?

          Thanks in advance for your further advice.
        • gouldyis
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 9, 2005
            <malcolm_e_stewart@c...> wrote:

            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "gouldyis"
            > <gouldyis@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "waterman24560"
            > > <malcolm_e_stewart@c...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I am a real dummy with this.
            > > >
            > > > I have a 250 Gb MIPS and have downloaded Openlink 52b and
            > upgraded the
            > > > 2.05 firmware with 52b.
            > > >
            > > > What do I need to do next for installing Twonky ? I just do not
            > > > understand the Twonky How-To instructions.
            > > >
            > > > Thanks for any guidance or suggestions on where to look.
            > > >
            > > > waterman24560
            > > >
            > > Create a folder via Ls webinterface called media
            > > Then goto that folder and create a new folder called Server
            > >
            > > Put the correct twonkyvision (mediaserver for mips) in the Server
            > folder.
            > >
            > > Download the twonky script from the files section, there are 2
            > lines
            > > that need altering within that script I think as it's written for
            > the
            > > LS1. The 2 lines have /mnt/media/Server, change
            > to /mnt/hda/media/Server.
            > >
            > > Put that script in your Linkstations share folder.
            > >
            > > Open up a telnet session, then I reckon you can just copy and paste
            > > each line at a time into telnet:
            > >

            > > cp /mnt/hda/share/twonky /etc/init.d/twonky
            > > chmod 777 /etc/init.d/twonky
            > >
            > > cd /etc/init.d/
            > > ./twonky restart
            > >
            > > If that doesn't say something about stopping pids and waiting then
            > > stop there. Otherwise copy the rest
            > >
            > > cd /etc/rc.d/rc2.d
            > > ln -s /etc/init.d/twonky S99twonky
            > >
            > > cd /etc/rc.d/rc6.d
            > > ln -s /etc/init.d/twonky K92twonky
            > >
            > > cd /etc/rc.d/rc0.d
            > > ln -s /etc/init.d/twonky K92twonky
            > >
            > > shutdown -r now
            > > ----------
            > > See if it works
            > >
            > > You'll get a red screen if you try to connect to the twonky
            > > webinterface (if you've got that far) the .ini file thats created
            > in
            > > the Server folder needs 'enableweb=2'
            > >
            > Thanks for your advice, so far so good.
            >
            > Got the Twonky web interface (all red as you said) so changed the
            > attribute and voila, all OK. Even I found Twonky on my DSM-320.
            >
            > Only 2 problems left.
            >
            > Firstly, when I shut-down the LS, Twonky does not auto restart. I
            > have to telnet the restart.
            >
            > Secondly, I have put all my media files into separate shared folders
            > on the LS (my_music, my_videos, my_pictures). What are the directory
            > paths needed by Twonky ?
            >
            > Thanks in advance for your further advice.

            Sure the second part was entered correctly?

            You should see twonky somewhere if you run each of these commands?
            (After reboot)
            ls -l /etc/rc.d/rc2.d
            ls -l /etc/rc.d/rc6.d
            ls -l /etc/rc.d/rc0.d

            Twonky interface - under general and then contentdir, try:

            /mnt/hda/my_music,/mnt/hda/my_videos,/mnt/hda/my_pictures
          • waterman24560
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 10, 2005
              <gouldyis@y...> wrote:

              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "waterman24560"
              > <malcolm_e_stewart@c...> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "gouldyis"
              > > <gouldyis@y...> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "waterman24560"

              > > upgraded the

              > > > Create a folder via Ls webinterface called media
              > > > Then goto that folder and create a new folder called Server
              > > >
              > > > Put the correct twonkyvision (mediaserver for mips) in the
              Server
              > > folder.
              > > >
              > > > Download the twonky script from the files section, there are 2
              > > lines
              > > > that need altering within that script I think as it's written
              for
              > > the
              > > > LS1. The 2 lines have /mnt/media/Server, change
              > > to /mnt/hda/media/Server.
              > > >
              > > > Put that script in your Linkstations share folder.
              > > >
              > > > Open up a telnet session, then I reckon you can just copy and
              paste
              > > > each line at a time into telnet:
              > > >

              > > > cp /mnt/hda/share/twonky /etc/init.d/twonky
              > > > chmod 777 /etc/init.d/twonky
              > > >
              > > > cd /etc/init.d/
              > > > ./twonky restart
              > > >
              > > > If that doesn't say something about stopping pids and waiting
              then
              > > > stop there. Otherwise copy the rest
              > > >
              > > > cd /etc/rc.d/rc2.d
              > > > ln -s /etc/init.d/twonky S99twonky
              > > >
              > > > cd /etc/rc.d/rc6.d
              > > > ln -s /etc/init.d/twonky K92twonky
              > > >
              > > > cd /etc/rc.d/rc0.d
              > > > ln -s /etc/init.d/twonky K92twonky
              > > >
              > > > shutdown -r now
              > > > ----------
              > > > See if it works
              > > >
              > > > You'll get a red screen if you try to connect to the twonky
              > > > webinterface (if you've got that far) the .ini file thats
              created
              > > in
              > > > the Server folder needs 'enableweb=2'
              > > >
              > > Thanks for your advice, so far so good.
              > >
              > > Got the Twonky web interface (all red as you said) so changed
              the
              > > attribute and voila, all OK. Even I found Twonky on my DSM-320.
              > >
              > > Only 2 problems left.
              > >
              > > Firstly, when I shut-down the LS, Twonky does not auto restart.
              > > have to telnet the restart.
              > >
              > > Secondly, I have put all my media files into separate shared
              folders
              > > on the LS (my_music, my_videos, my_pictures). What are the
              directory
              > > paths needed by Twonky ?
              > >
              > > Thanks in advance for your further advice.
              > >

              > Sure the second part was entered correctly?
              >
              > You should see twonky somewhere if you run each of these commands?
              > (After reboot)
              > ls -l /etc/rc.d/rc2.d
              > ls -l /etc/rc.d/rc6.d
              > ls -l /etc/rc.d/rc0.d
              >
              > Twonky interface - under general and then contentdir, try:
              >
              > /mnt/hda/my_music,/mnt/hda/my_videos,/mnt/hda/my_pictures

              Thanks a million guys.

              Both problems sorted in one go.

              I now have a fully functioning LS and Twonky and all within 48 hours
              of starting the project.
            • David Taylor
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 10, 2005
                I want to add ftp serving to my Kuro (PPC). Anybody have any suggestions as
                to which one? I'm looking for a basic FTP package that will compile on the
                first try that doesn't use many resources. I need anonymous FTP as well as
                authenticated with not more than about 2 users at a time.

                David Taylor
              • David Taylor
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 11, 2005
                  Never mind. Vsftpd works. If you 'emerge -g vsftpd' it will install in about
                  2 minutes as there is a binary available.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 14, 2005
                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "David Taylor"
                    <dataylor@t...> wrote:

                    > I want to add ftp serving to my Kuro (PPC). Anybody have any
                    suggestions as
                    > to which one? I'm looking for a basic FTP package that will
                    compile on the
                    > first try that doesn't use many resources. I need anonymous FTP as
                    well as
                    > authenticated with not more than about 2 users at a time.
                    >
                    > David Taylor

                    I do have ProFTP running on my PPC machine. I think you can grab
                    the binaries from Debian-Woody and they would just run. There might
                    be a couple of dependent libraries you need to install however.

                    ProFTP is also on the Linkstation "firmware" if you want to unpack
                    one of them and dig it out, or someone like me can simply get it to
                    you. I still have the original filesystem out, abandoned on my LS.
                    I did an "ldd" on proftpd and got this:

                    libcrypt.so.1 => /lib/libcrypt.so.1 (0x0ffb3000)
                    libpam.so.0 => /lib/libpam.so.0 (0x0ff89000)
                    libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x0fe3e000)
                    libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x0fe1b000)
                    /lib/ld.so.1 (0x30000000)

                    so let us know what dependent libraries you also might need if you
                    want us to send you anything.
                  • David Taylor
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 14, 2005
                      Thanks for the offer but I managed to get vsftpd running already. As I
                      posted earlier, it compiled and ran on the first attempt. Now I just need to
                      find the time to get it configured to my liking. Once that is done, I'll
                      start on getting a mail server running.

                      Thanks again for the help.

                      David Taylor

                      > I want to add ftp serving to my Kuro (PPC). Anybody have any
                      suggestions as
                      > to which one? I'm looking for a basic FTP package that will
                      compile on the
                      > first try that doesn't use many resources. I need anonymous FTP as
                      well as
                      > authenticated with not more than about 2 users at a time.
                      >
                      > David Taylor

                      I do have ProFTP running on my PPC machine. I think you can grab
                      the binaries from Debian-Woody and they would just run. There might
                      be a couple of dependent libraries you need to install however.

                      ProFTP is also on the Linkstation "firmware" if you want to unpack
                      one of them and dig it out, or someone like me can simply get it to
                      you. I still have the original filesystem out, abandoned on my LS.
                      I did an "ldd" on proftpd and got this:

                      libcrypt.so.1 => /lib/libcrypt.so.1 (0x0ffb3000)
                      libpam.so.0 => /lib/libpam.so.0 (0x0ff89000)
                      libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x0fe3e000)
                      libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x0fe1b000)
                      /lib/ld.so.1 (0x30000000)

                      so let us know what dependent libraries you also might need if you
                      want us to send you anything.

                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                    • roundajr2579
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 28, 2006
                        Hi

                        Im also a newbie to this and trying to make my way through this,
                        however can anyone expand on what is meant by "Download the twonky
                        script from the files section" as I cannot find this info??

                        Thanks