Re: Connecting Linkstation 120GB directly to Win XP

    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 7, 2005
      You don't need a cross-over cable with the LS. The old models have a
      little switch for it near the network jack, and the new ones
      auto-detect it. A normal "straight-thru" cable should work.

      Can't use a USB cable. Both the computer and the LS are USB-hosts and
      you can't hook two hosts togather. (Don't even try it because an
      A-to-A cable that has the power wired straight through will have it
      reverse polorized at the other end so +5 volts would get shorted to
      ground at each end and could damage some USB ports.

      I think the little red button disables the watchdog timer that would
      normally make the LS reboot if it didn't reboot correctly. I'm not
      sure about this.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Nick Pappas

      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 7, 2005

        <nwpappas@g...> wrote:

        > If you want to through your network connection, you need to use a
        > cable called a "crossover cable". Your local computer store should be
        > able to hook you up with on. I believe you can hook it up with a USB
        > cable too, if I remember the instructions correctly. Haven't done the
        > USB route though.
        >

        > On 12/7/05, loosegroove2000 <bronson.elliott@g...> wrote:
        > > How do I connect my Linkstation 120GB directly to my WinXP Pro
        computer?

        > > Also, what exactly does the red init button do?
        > >
        > > Thanks!

      • loosegroove2000
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 13, 2005
          Ok, I connected the LS directly to my computer via the network jack. I
          also flipped the cross-over switch on back. The drive does not appear
          anywhere. What's the secret to access the drive?

          <wartstew@y...> wrote:

          > You don't need a cross-over cable with the LS. The old models have a
          > little switch for it near the network jack, and the new ones
          > auto-detect it. A normal "straight-thru" cable should work.
          >
          > Can't use a USB cable. Both the computer and the LS are USB-hosts and
          > you can't hook two hosts togather. (Don't even try it because an
          > A-to-A cable that has the power wired straight through will have it
          > reverse polorized at the other end so +5 volts would get shorted to
          > ground at each end and could damage some USB ports.
          >
          > I think the little red button disables the watchdog timer that would
          > normally make the LS reboot if it didn't reboot correctly. I'm not
          > sure about this.
        • David Taylor
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 13, 2005
            you need to be running a DCHP server on your computer. I believe the default
            for the linkstation is to get it's IP address from a DCHP server.

            David Taylor

            <wartstew@y...> wrote:

            > You don't need a cross-over cable with the LS. The old models have a
            > little switch for it near the network jack, and the new ones
            > auto-detect it. A normal "straight-thru" cable should work.
            >
            > Can't use a USB cable. Both the computer and the LS are USB-hosts and
            > you can't hook two hosts togather. (Don't even try it because an
            > A-to-A cable that has the power wired straight through will have it
            > reverse polorized at the other end so +5 volts would get shorted to
            > ground at each end and could damage some USB ports.
            >
            > I think the little red button disables the watchdog timer that would
            > normally make the LS reboot if it didn't reboot correctly. I'm not
            > sure about this.

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • loosegroove2000
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 14, 2005
              Ok, how do you run a DCHP server on my computer? I just want to be
              able to connect the LS directly to my computer if needed.

              --
              Bronson

              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "David Taylor"
              <dataylor@t...> wrote:

              > you need to be running a DCHP server on your computer. I believe the
              default
              > for the linkstation is to get it's IP address from a DCHP server.
              >
              > David Taylor
            • David Taylor
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 14, 2005
                Just connect it to your switch and configure it with a static IP address and
                subnet mask. Then you should be able to connect it directly to your computer
                without a DCHP server.

                David Taylor

                <dataylor@t...> wrote:

                > you need to be running a DCHP server on your computer. I believe the
                default
                > for the linkstation is to get it's IP address from a DCHP server.
                >
                > David Taylor

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • gouldyis
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 14, 2005
                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "loosegroove2000"
                  <bronson.elliott@g...> wrote:

                  > Ok, how do you run a DCHP server on my computer? I just want to
                  be
                  > able to connect the LS directly to my computer if needed.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Bronson
                  >

                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "David Taylor"
                  > <dataylor@t...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > you need to be running a DCHP server on your computer. I believe
                  the
                  > default
                  > > for the linkstation is to get it's IP address from a DCHP server.
                  > >
                  > > David Taylor

                  I connect my LS's to my PC occasionnaly. Just make sure PC'c IP
                  address is in the same range as the LS, is the default for LS
                  192.168.11.150.

                  Have you run the setup disk with the IP configuration tool etc
                • loosegroove2000
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 14, 2005
                    So I can change my PC IP address to a static one (for example
                    192.168.11.149) and I should be able to connect directly to the LS?
                    Must I run the setup disk in order to get the PC to see the LS?

                    Do I need to restart, etc after I reset the IP? Any other settings I
                    need to change?

                    Thanks for the help!

                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "gouldyis" <gouldyis@y...>

                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 14, 2005
                      Yes, you will need to assign a static address to the PC too since you don't
                      have a DCHP server on your PC. If you are running Win XP you won't need to
                      restart. Just right click on network neighborhood and then right click and
                      select properties for your wired network connection. From there select
                      TCP/IP in the window and click properties. From there you can assign a
                      static address to your Win XP machine. If you assign an address in the range
                      of 192.168.11.* with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 you should be good to
                      go.

                      David Taylor

                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 14, 2005
                        Thank you for your patience. One more question.

                        Right now, I have the LS setup to get the IP address automatically when
                        it's connected to the router. Works fine.

                        Reading the user manual from Buffalo they state the following:

                        [quote]
                        If Linkstation was plugged directly into a PC, then the DHCP function
                        will timeout and give Linkstation the default IP address of
                        192.168.11.150.
                        [/quote]

                        So, I'm correct in thinking that I can still leave the Linkstation as
                        getting the IP automatically and since it won't get one, it will reset
                        to the default IP automatically. All I need to change is the IP on the
                        PC. Just making sure.

                        Thanks again and sorry for so many basic questions.

                        <dataylor@t...> wrote:

                        > Yes, you will need to assign a static address to the PC too since you
                        don't
                        > have a DCHP server on your PC. If you are running Win XP you won't
                        need to
                        > restart. Just right click on network neighborhood and then right
                        click and
                        > select properties for your wired network connection. From there select
                        > TCP/IP in the window and click properties. From there you can assign a
                        > static address to your Win XP machine. If you assign an address in
                        the range
                        > of 192.168.11.* with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 you should be
                        good to
                        > go.
                        >
                        > David Taylor
                      • David Taylor
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 14, 2005
                          You are correct Your PC needs a static address assigned since it won't be
                          able to get an address from the DCHP server. Just assign it something like
                          192.168.11.1. The problem there is that your router is assigning addresses
                          to other devices on your network (including the Linkstation) so your PC will
                          now be on a different network segment and it will not see any of the devices
                          that are served an IP address from the router including the Linkstation
                          since the LInkstation will receive an address from the router

                          So, you will need to either set the fallback IP address on the Linkstation
                          to the same network segment as the DCHP your router is using or you will
                          need to change the router's DCHP config so it serves IP addresses on the
                          same segment as your LInkstation. In both cases, you will need to assign a
                          static IP address to your computer too and that address needs to have the
                          same first 3 numbers. Your router is likely set up to serve addresses from
                          192.168.0.100 and up or 192.168.1.100 and up. That means your network
                          devices will be assigned an address of 192.168.0.100 or something like that.
                          That third number (actually the first 3 numbers 192.168.0 here and
                          192.168.11 on your LInkstation) must be the same for them to talk to each
                          other since your subnet mask is most likely 255.255.255.0 which means that
                          the first 3 numbers in the ip address need to match in order for the devices
                          to see each other. If you only have a few devices on your network you can
                          just assign static addresses all of them, turn off the DCHP server all
                          together, and call it a day (192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.2, etc). I have 12
                          devices on my network and just assign all devices a static address and keep
                          a written list for reference. This way I always know the address of the web,
                          ftp, etc. server in my Kuro box and can easily set up port forwarding in my
                          router so I can get to them over the internet.

                          So, to summarize:
                          1. Assign a static address to your PC.
                          2. Change the fallback address on your Linkstation to the same network
                          segment as the PC.
                          3. configure your DCHP server (in your router) to serve addresses on the
                          same network segment (with the same first 3 numbers as the IP addresses for
                          the Linkstation and PC).

                          David Taylor

                          <dataylor@t...> wrote:

                          > Yes, you will need to assign a static address to the PC too since you
                          don't
                          > have a DCHP server on your PC. If you are running Win XP you won't
                          need to
                          > restart. Just right click on network neighborhood and then right
                          click and
                          > select properties for your wired network connection. From there select
                          > TCP/IP in the window and click properties. From there you can assign a
                          > static address to your Win XP machine. If you assign an address in
                          the range
                          > of 192.168.11.* with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 you should be
                          good to
                          > go.
                          >
                          > David Taylor

                          Yahoo! Groups Links
                        • loosegroove2000
                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 15, 2005
                            Thanks for all of your help and patience. I got it working (finally)!