Connecting Linkstation 120GB directly to Win XP

  • loosegroove2000
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 7, 2005
      How do I connect my Linkstation 120GB directly to my WinXP Pro computer?

      Also, what exactly does the red init button do?

      Thanks!
    • Nick Pappas
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 7, 2005
        If you want to through your network connection, you need to use a
        cable called a "crossover cable". Your local computer store should be
        able to hook you up with on. I believe you can hook it up with a USB
        cable too, if I remember the instructions correctly. Haven't done the
        USB route though.

        On 12/7/05, loosegroove2000 <bronson.elliott@...> wrote:
        > How do I connect my Linkstation 120GB directly to my WinXP Pro computer?
        >
        > Also, what exactly does the red init button do?
        >
        > Thanks!

        Whatever you do - don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate
        yourself either.
        Your choices are half chance, and so are everybody else's.
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 7, 2005
          You don't need a cross-over cable with the LS. The old models have a
          little switch for it near the network jack, and the new ones
          auto-detect it. A normal "straight-thru" cable should work.

          Can't use a USB cable. Both the computer and the LS are USB-hosts and
          you can't hook two hosts togather. (Don't even try it because an
          A-to-A cable that has the power wired straight through will have it
          reverse polorized at the other end so +5 volts would get shorted to
          ground at each end and could damage some USB ports.

          I think the little red button disables the watchdog timer that would
          normally make the LS reboot if it didn't reboot correctly. I'm not
          sure about this.

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Nick Pappas

          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 7, 2005

            <nwpappas@g...> wrote:

            > If you want to through your network connection, you need to use a
            > cable called a "crossover cable". Your local computer store should be
            > able to hook you up with on. I believe you can hook it up with a USB
            > cable too, if I remember the instructions correctly. Haven't done the
            > USB route though.
            >

            > On 12/7/05, loosegroove2000 <bronson.elliott@g...> wrote:
            > > How do I connect my Linkstation 120GB directly to my WinXP Pro
            computer?

            > > Also, what exactly does the red init button do?
            > >
            > > Thanks!

          • loosegroove2000
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 13, 2005
              Ok, I connected the LS directly to my computer via the network jack. I
              also flipped the cross-over switch on back. The drive does not appear
              anywhere. What's the secret to access the drive?

              <wartstew@y...> wrote:

              > You don't need a cross-over cable with the LS. The old models have a
              > little switch for it near the network jack, and the new ones
              > auto-detect it. A normal "straight-thru" cable should work.
              >
              > Can't use a USB cable. Both the computer and the LS are USB-hosts and
              > you can't hook two hosts togather. (Don't even try it because an
              > A-to-A cable that has the power wired straight through will have it
              > reverse polorized at the other end so +5 volts would get shorted to
              > ground at each end and could damage some USB ports.
              >
              > I think the little red button disables the watchdog timer that would
              > normally make the LS reboot if it didn't reboot correctly. I'm not
              > sure about this.
            • David Taylor
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 13, 2005
                you need to be running a DCHP server on your computer. I believe the default
                for the linkstation is to get it's IP address from a DCHP server.

                David Taylor

                <wartstew@y...> wrote:

                > You don't need a cross-over cable with the LS. The old models have a
                > little switch for it near the network jack, and the new ones
                > auto-detect it. A normal "straight-thru" cable should work.
                >
                > Can't use a USB cable. Both the computer and the LS are USB-hosts and
                > you can't hook two hosts togather. (Don't even try it because an
                > A-to-A cable that has the power wired straight through will have it
                > reverse polorized at the other end so +5 volts would get shorted to
                > ground at each end and could damage some USB ports.
                >
                > I think the little red button disables the watchdog timer that would
                > normally make the LS reboot if it didn't reboot correctly. I'm not
                > sure about this.

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • loosegroove2000
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 14, 2005
                  Ok, how do you run a DCHP server on my computer? I just want to be
                  able to connect the LS directly to my computer if needed.

                  --
                  Bronson

                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "David Taylor"
                  <dataylor@t...> wrote:

                  > you need to be running a DCHP server on your computer. I believe the
                  default
                  > for the linkstation is to get it's IP address from a DCHP server.
                  >
                  > David Taylor
                • David Taylor
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 14, 2005
                    Just connect it to your switch and configure it with a static IP address and
                    subnet mask. Then you should be able to connect it directly to your computer
                    without a DCHP server.

                    David Taylor

                    <dataylor@t...> wrote:

                    > you need to be running a DCHP server on your computer. I believe the
                    default
                    > for the linkstation is to get it's IP address from a DCHP server.
                    >
                    > David Taylor

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • gouldyis
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 14, 2005
                      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "loosegroove2000"
                      <bronson.elliott@g...> wrote:

                      > Ok, how do you run a DCHP server on my computer? I just want to
                      be
                      > able to connect the LS directly to my computer if needed.
                      >
                      > --
                      > Bronson
                      >

                      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "David Taylor"
                      > <dataylor@t...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > you need to be running a DCHP server on your computer. I believe
                      the
                      > default
                      > > for the linkstation is to get it's IP address from a DCHP server.
                      > >
                      > > David Taylor

                      I connect my LS's to my PC occasionnaly. Just make sure PC'c IP
                      address is in the same range as the LS, is the default for LS
                      192.168.11.150.

                      Have you run the setup disk with the IP configuration tool etc
                    • loosegroove2000
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 14, 2005
                        So I can change my PC IP address to a static one (for example
                        192.168.11.149) and I should be able to connect directly to the LS?
                        Must I run the setup disk in order to get the PC to see the LS?

                        Do I need to restart, etc after I reset the IP? Any other settings I
                        need to change?

                        Thanks for the help!

                        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "gouldyis" <gouldyis@y...>

                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 14, 2005
                          Yes, you will need to assign a static address to the PC too since you don't
                          have a DCHP server on your PC. If you are running Win XP you won't need to
                          restart. Just right click on network neighborhood and then right click and
                          select properties for your wired network connection. From there select
                          TCP/IP in the window and click properties. From there you can assign a
                          static address to your Win XP machine. If you assign an address in the range
                          of 192.168.11.* with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 you should be good to
                          go.

                          David Taylor

                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 14, 2005
                            Thank you for your patience. One more question.

                            Right now, I have the LS setup to get the IP address automatically when
                            it's connected to the router. Works fine.

                            Reading the user manual from Buffalo they state the following:

                            [quote]
                            If Linkstation was plugged directly into a PC, then the DHCP function
                            will timeout and give Linkstation the default IP address of
                            192.168.11.150.
                            [/quote]

                            So, I'm correct in thinking that I can still leave the Linkstation as
                            getting the IP automatically and since it won't get one, it will reset
                            to the default IP automatically. All I need to change is the IP on the
                            PC. Just making sure.

                            Thanks again and sorry for so many basic questions.

                            <dataylor@t...> wrote:

                            > Yes, you will need to assign a static address to the PC too since you
                            don't
                            > have a DCHP server on your PC. If you are running Win XP you won't
                            need to
                            > restart. Just right click on network neighborhood and then right
                            click and
                            > select properties for your wired network connection. From there select
                            > TCP/IP in the window and click properties. From there you can assign a
                            > static address to your Win XP machine. If you assign an address in
                            the range
                            > of 192.168.11.* with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 you should be
                            good to
                            > go.
                            >
                            > David Taylor
                          • David Taylor
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 14, 2005
                              You are correct Your PC needs a static address assigned since it won't be
                              able to get an address from the DCHP server. Just assign it something like
                              192.168.11.1. The problem there is that your router is assigning addresses
                              to other devices on your network (including the Linkstation) so your PC will
                              now be on a different network segment and it will not see any of the devices
                              that are served an IP address from the router including the Linkstation
                              since the LInkstation will receive an address from the router

                              So, you will need to either set the fallback IP address on the Linkstation
                              to the same network segment as the DCHP your router is using or you will
                              need to change the router's DCHP config so it serves IP addresses on the
                              same segment as your LInkstation. In both cases, you will need to assign a
                              static IP address to your computer too and that address needs to have the
                              same first 3 numbers. Your router is likely set up to serve addresses from
                              192.168.0.100 and up or 192.168.1.100 and up. That means your network
                              devices will be assigned an address of 192.168.0.100 or something like that.
                              That third number (actually the first 3 numbers 192.168.0 here and
                              192.168.11 on your LInkstation) must be the same for them to talk to each
                              other since your subnet mask is most likely 255.255.255.0 which means that
                              the first 3 numbers in the ip address need to match in order for the devices
                              to see each other. If you only have a few devices on your network you can
                              just assign static addresses all of them, turn off the DCHP server all
                              together, and call it a day (192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.2, etc). I have 12
                              devices on my network and just assign all devices a static address and keep
                              a written list for reference. This way I always know the address of the web,
                              ftp, etc. server in my Kuro box and can easily set up port forwarding in my
                              router so I can get to them over the internet.

                              So, to summarize:
                              1. Assign a static address to your PC.
                              2. Change the fallback address on your Linkstation to the same network
                              segment as the PC.
                              3. configure your DCHP server (in your router) to serve addresses on the
                              same network segment (with the same first 3 numbers as the IP addresses for
                              the Linkstation and PC).

                              David Taylor

                              <dataylor@t...> wrote:

                              > Yes, you will need to assign a static address to the PC too since you
                              don't
                              > have a DCHP server on your PC. If you are running Win XP you won't
                              need to
                              > restart. Just right click on network neighborhood and then right
                              click and
                              > select properties for your wired network connection. From there select
                              > TCP/IP in the window and click properties. From there you can assign a
                              > static address to your Win XP machine. If you assign an address in
                              the range
                              > of 192.168.11.* with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 you should be
                              good to
                              > go.
                              >
                              > David Taylor

                              Yahoo! Groups Links
                            • loosegroove2000
                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 15, 2005
                                Thanks for all of your help and patience. I got it working (finally)!