Re: newbie query re. ugrading Hard Drive

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2005
      > Also, presumably the smaller Linkstations have the PowerPC HW.
      > Is this likely to be an issue in the future?

      Did they ever make a 120 GB MIPS based LS? I'm thinking the 120 GB
      model was discontinued before the MIPS based models were introduced.
      Does anyone have any information to the contrary?
    • calvinlsc
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2005
        <wartstew@y...> wrote:

        > > Also, presumably the smaller Linkstations have the PowerPC HW.
        > > Is this likely to be an issue in the future?
        >
        > Did they ever make a 120 GB MIPS based LS? I'm thinking the 120 GB
        > model was discontinued before the MIPS based models were introduced.
        > Does anyone have any information to the contrary?

        Mine is exactly a MIPS based 120GB LS.
      • appletrain2000
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2005
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "calvinlsc"
          <calvinlsc@y...> wrote:

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Stewart"
          > <wartstew@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > > Also, presumably the smaller Linkstations have the PowerPC HW.
          > > > Is this likely to be an issue in the future?
          > >
          > > Did they ever make a 120 GB MIPS based LS? I'm thinking the 120 GB
          > > model was discontinued before the MIPS based models were introduced.
          > > Does anyone have any information to the contrary?
          > >

          > Mine is exactly a MIPS based 120GB LS.

          Mine too. MIPSel Linkstation with 120 GB purchased 9/2005.
        • prb0x
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 2, 2005
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "appletrain2000"
            <appletrain2000@y...> wrote:

            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "calvinlsc"
            > <calvinlsc@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Stewart"

            > > > Did they ever make a 120 GB MIPS based LS? I'm thinking the 120 GB
            > > > model was discontinued before the MIPS based models were
            introduced.
            > > > Does anyone have any information to the contrary?
            > > >

            > > Mine is exactly a MIPS based 120GB LS.
            > >
            > Mine too. MIPSel Linkstation with 120 GB purchased 9/2005.

            <AOL> Me too!!!£?£ Please email it to me. </AOL>

            Actually I did the same thing and took the drive out and put in a
            larger one. If you track back a few posts (or use search) there are
            links showing how to take apart the case.

            Once you put it all back to gether you need to re-flash the firmware
            becuase in the case of the linkstations not only does the firmware
            refer to the Linux Kernel et al. in EEPROM but also of the rest of the
            linux operating system on the hard drive.

            Cheers,
            Al