newbie query re. ugrading Hard Drive

  • Jon Nicoll
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2005
      Hello there
      I'm a newcomer to Linkstation (haven't bought one yet!) and a
      relatively experienced SW/Hardware engineer. I am interested in buying
      a linkstation and doing some hacking with it. I'm confident of my
      technicxal abilities, especially with the resources of places like
      this newsgroup. I only one extra question at the moment...

      - The 120Gb linkstation seems quite cheap at the moment (price is a
      consideration to me ;-). The price differential between the different
      disk sizes seems rather large compared to the price of hard disks, so
      I was thinking of buying a smaller Linkstation and upgrading with my
      own HD. I see that this can be done ... but are there any HW
      differences between the different capacity linkstations - I'm thinking
      of a higher capacity Power Supply, for instance.

      Also, presumably the smaller Linkstations have the PowerPC HW. Is this
      likely to be an issue in the future?

      Thanks for your thoughts.

      jon N
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2005
        > Also, presumably the smaller Linkstations have the PowerPC HW.
        > Is this likely to be an issue in the future?

        Did they ever make a 120 GB MIPS based LS? I'm thinking the 120 GB
        model was discontinued before the MIPS based models were introduced.
        Does anyone have any information to the contrary?
      • calvinlsc
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2005
          <wartstew@y...> wrote:

          > > Also, presumably the smaller Linkstations have the PowerPC HW.
          > > Is this likely to be an issue in the future?
          >
          > Did they ever make a 120 GB MIPS based LS? I'm thinking the 120 GB
          > model was discontinued before the MIPS based models were introduced.
          > Does anyone have any information to the contrary?

          Mine is exactly a MIPS based 120GB LS.
        • appletrain2000
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 1, 2005
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "calvinlsc"
            <calvinlsc@y...> wrote:

            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Stewart"
            > <wartstew@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > > Also, presumably the smaller Linkstations have the PowerPC HW.
            > > > Is this likely to be an issue in the future?
            > >
            > > Did they ever make a 120 GB MIPS based LS? I'm thinking the 120 GB
            > > model was discontinued before the MIPS based models were introduced.
            > > Does anyone have any information to the contrary?
            > >

            > Mine is exactly a MIPS based 120GB LS.

            Mine too. MIPSel Linkstation with 120 GB purchased 9/2005.
          • prb0x
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 2, 2005
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "appletrain2000"
              <appletrain2000@y...> wrote:

              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "calvinlsc"
              > <calvinlsc@y...> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Stewart"

              > > > Did they ever make a 120 GB MIPS based LS? I'm thinking the 120 GB
              > > > model was discontinued before the MIPS based models were
              introduced.
              > > > Does anyone have any information to the contrary?
              > > >

              > > Mine is exactly a MIPS based 120GB LS.
              > >
              > Mine too. MIPSel Linkstation with 120 GB purchased 9/2005.

              <AOL> Me too!!!£?£ Please email it to me. </AOL>

              Actually I did the same thing and took the drive out and put in a
              larger one. If you track back a few posts (or use search) there are
              links showing how to take apart the case.

              Once you put it all back to gether you need to re-flash the firmware
              becuase in the case of the linkstations not only does the firmware
              refer to the Linux Kernel et al. in EEPROM but also of the rest of the
              linux operating system on the hard drive.

              Cheers,
              Al