Re: pcast seems like just a broken webserver?

  • awvc1
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 27, 2005
      thanks for the response, I'm not using a linktheater, I was just
      playing with the html interface from my pc, I was hoping it could be
      used to stream files through to any pc on the network. Clearly it
      doesn't from that article, the webserver is there to augment the
      functions of the upnp streaming I guess.

      The webserver is not a good way to do things, as clicking on a file
      in it means that the whole video must be downloaded before viewing
      it - as you say opening the file by browsing the drive share is a
      better bet.

      Shame though. maybe I'll think about getting a linktheater some day
      mind.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "gouldyis"
      <gouldyis@y...> wrote:

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "awvc1" <awvc1@h...>
      wrote:

      > > Been trying to get pcast working on my linkstation (ls2, 250gb),
      > > with open firmware 2.05. I point the browser to port 8000, and
      it
      > > picks it all up, but its not what I imagined.
      > >
      > > I can browse through to files on my designated shared area, as
      > > specified in the linktheater setup page. However, if I click on
      any
      > > video's, it won't stream them, it just downloads them then plays
      > > them. Is this because the files are not streaming files
      themselves?
      > > I'm dissappointed if that's the case - I thought it was a
      streaming
      > > media server that would convert them. Its next to useless over a
      > > wireless lan if you want to watch transcoded dvd movies.
      > >
      > > I'm leaning towards the thought that its just broken though - I
      > > tried clicking on music files, and it opens up a web page with
      text
      > > showing the path to the file rather than the file, and when I
      try to
      > > click on images, it goes back to the main page.
      > >
      > > I also notice that the HTML page title seems to show PCAST
      function
      > > names in the title bar such as PCAST_CURRENT_DIR or something
      like
      > > that. Has anyone else played with this, and how much success
      have
      > > you had?
      > >
      > > thanks in advance.
      > >

      > I'm no expert but this may explain some more about PCAST, its from
      > linkstationwiki.org >
      >
      > http://linkstationwiki.org/Articles/GeneralFunWithPCast
      >
      > I don't fully understand your question, are you trying to get your
      > Linktheater to use PCAST? (It should pick it up automatically)
      >
      > Are you wanting to use PCAST on your desktop? You may aswell just
      > create a few shortcuts pointing to the folders from your
      Linkstation?