pcast seems like just a broken webserver?

  • awvc1
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 27, 2005
      Been trying to get pcast working on my linkstation (ls2, 250gb),
      with open firmware 2.05. I point the browser to port 8000, and it
      picks it all up, but its not what I imagined.

      I can browse through to files on my designated shared area, as
      specified in the linktheater setup page. However, if I click on any
      video's, it won't stream them, it just downloads them then plays
      them. Is this because the files are not streaming files themselves?
      I'm dissappointed if that's the case - I thought it was a streaming
      media server that would convert them. Its next to useless over a
      wireless lan if you want to watch transcoded dvd movies.

      I'm leaning towards the thought that its just broken though - I
      tried clicking on music files, and it opens up a web page with text
      showing the path to the file rather than the file, and when I try to
      click on images, it goes back to the main page.

      I also notice that the HTML page title seems to show PCAST function
      names in the title bar such as PCAST_CURRENT_DIR or something like
      that. Has anyone else played with this, and how much success have
      you had?

      thanks in advance.
    • gouldyis
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 27, 2005
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "awvc1" <awvc1@h...> wrote:

        > Been trying to get pcast working on my linkstation (ls2, 250gb),
        > with open firmware 2.05. I point the browser to port 8000, and it
        > picks it all up, but its not what I imagined.
        >
        > I can browse through to files on my designated shared area, as
        > specified in the linktheater setup page. However, if I click on any
        > video's, it won't stream them, it just downloads them then plays
        > them. Is this because the files are not streaming files themselves?
        > I'm dissappointed if that's the case - I thought it was a streaming
        > media server that would convert them. Its next to useless over a
        > wireless lan if you want to watch transcoded dvd movies.
        >
        > I'm leaning towards the thought that its just broken though - I
        > tried clicking on music files, and it opens up a web page with text
        > showing the path to the file rather than the file, and when I try to
        > click on images, it goes back to the main page.
        >
        > I also notice that the HTML page title seems to show PCAST function
        > names in the title bar such as PCAST_CURRENT_DIR or something like
        > that. Has anyone else played with this, and how much success have
        > you had?
        >
        > thanks in advance.

        I'm no expert but this may explain some more about PCAST, its from
        linkstationwiki.org >

        http://linkstationwiki.org/Articles/GeneralFunWithPCast

        I don't fully understand your question, are you trying to get your
        Linktheater to use PCAST? (It should pick it up automatically)

        Are you wanting to use PCAST on your desktop? You may aswell just
        create a few shortcuts pointing to the folders from your Linkstation?
        I stream DivX files that way.

        "I'm leaning towards the thought that its just broken though"

        I just pointed my browser to :8000 and got the same results as you
        describe, presume it's designed for things as discussed in the article
        above
      • awvc1
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 27, 2005
          thanks for the response, I'm not using a linktheater, I was just
          playing with the html interface from my pc, I was hoping it could be
          used to stream files through to any pc on the network. Clearly it
          doesn't from that article, the webserver is there to augment the
          functions of the upnp streaming I guess.

          The webserver is not a good way to do things, as clicking on a file
          in it means that the whole video must be downloaded before viewing
          it - as you say opening the file by browsing the drive share is a
          better bet.

          Shame though. maybe I'll think about getting a linktheater some day
          mind.

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "gouldyis"