Re: Norton Ghost - NTFS drive image from ext3 partition to new drive?

  • haberschnasel
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 26, 2005
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "pennhavn"
      <pennhaven@t...> wrote:

      > Unfortunately I also found TI 9 still has some bugs that need to be
      > worked out before I will purchase it. While it seems to work fine for
      > creating a backup image of a complete partition, it freezes up tight
      > when I try to use it's folder / file imaging feature. Too bad, as that
      > would be a great way to back up only data folders. My backup strategy
      > is to back up my data files frequently, but only create a backup of
      > the primary partition image every week or after major software
      > installations.

      I never used this feature. I keep all my data files on the LS and back
      them up via RSYNC to an attached USB drive each night. So maybe the TI
      bug you mentioned went unnoticed.
    • pennhavn
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 27, 2005
        <jronald@c...> wrote:

        > The Ghost recovery disks are DOS based at least as of Ghost 2003.
        There are
        > DOS drivers that can mount an ext2 partition but I don't think that
        there is
        > one for ext3. I would start by finding and testing a DOS ext2/3
        driver as
        > that's going to be your show stopper.

        Appreciate your effort to be helpful. Unfortunately "at least as of
        Ghost 2003" is the important qualifier. It seems that the Ghost
        "engine" was replaced after 2003. This is one reason why the
        documentation on Symantec's "support" site is so unhelpful, as nearly
        all of it seems to refer to the earlier versions.

        From an informative article:
        http://www.softpanorama.org/Articles/a_slightly_skeptical_view_on_norton_ghost.shtml

        "Norton Ghost 9 (which is actually rebranded [Power Quest] Drive
        Image, a different product from the original Norton Ghost) ha[s a] so
        called Symantec Recovery Disk...

        Norton Ghost 9.0 also offers increased driver and interface support
        for USB, USB2 and FireWire removable storage devices in comparison
        with Ghost 2003. That provides the possibility of restoring the image
        from USB2 or FireWire disk...

        This version of Ghost also supports Linux EXT2 file system apart from
        FAT16, FAT32, and NTFS..."

        The bottom line is that this is a very confusing topic, and (based on
        my search efforts anyway) it is very difficult to find definitive answers.