Linkstation firmware recovery?

  • sonsondei
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 4, 2004
      I think I screwed up my new linkstation...by untar the binary.zip
      from revogear.com to the root as root user.

      Now...my linkstation doesn't boot to the OS and after a long while,
      it'll blink the diag LED 6 times in a row.

      Anyway I can recover it?

      Wilson
    • Andrew Hodgson
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 4, 2004
        On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 22:47:39 -0000, "sonsondei"
        <sonsondei@...> wrote:

        >I think I screwed up my new linkstation...by untar the binary.zip
        >from revogear.com to the root as root user.
        >
        >Now...my linkstation doesn't boot to the OS and after a long while,
        >it'll blink the diag LED 6 times in a row.

        Have you tried running the LS setup program to see if it finds the
        Linkstation on the network? if it does this, you may have luck with
        the Buffalo official 1.44 updater which finds the Linkstation IIRC in
        the same way.

        Andrew.
      • Wilson
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 4, 2004
          The linkstation updater can't find the box...since I
          screwed up the root, it can't load and get IP from
          DHCP.

          And it comes with 1.44 already..and I'm using the
          updater 1.44_15

          Wilson
          --- Andrew Hodgson <andrew@...> wrote:

          > On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 22:47:39 -0000, "sonsondei"
          > <sonsondei@...> wrote:
          >

          > >I think I screwed up my new linkstation...by untar
          > the binary.zip
          > >from revogear.com to the root as root user.
          > >
          > >Now...my linkstation doesn't boot to the OS and
          > after a long while,
          > >it'll blink the diag LED 6 times in a row.
          >
          > Have you tried running the LS setup program to see
          > if it finds the
          > Linkstation on the network? if it does this, you
          > may have luck with
          > the Buffalo official 1.44 updater which finds the
          > Linkstation IIRC in
          > the same way.
          >
          > Andrew.

          http://my.yahoo.com
        • Wilson
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 4, 2004
            I tried several ways:

            1) press and hold the INIT button while turning on the
            device...power LED, diag LED and disk full LED will
            all be blinking. Then run the updater or setup, can't
            find it.

            2) press and hold the INIT button for 30 secs while
            it's on, nothing happenes...

            Do I need to open the case and take the HD out to fix
            it or something??

            The diag LED blinks for 6 times in a row means
            abnormal HD detected...I believed it's due to a
            corrupt root partition now.

            Just wondering how can I fix it.

            Wilson
            --- Wilson <sonsondei@...> wrote:

            > The linkstation updater can't find the box...since I
            > screwed up the root, it can't load and get IP from
            > DHCP.
            >
            > And it comes with 1.44 already..and I'm using the
            > updater 1.44_15
            >
            > Wilson
            > --- Andrew Hodgson <andrew@...> wrote:
            >
            > > On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 22:47:39 -0000, "sonsondei"
            > > <sonsondei@...> wrote:
            > >

            > > >I think I screwed up my new linkstation...by
            > untar
            > > the binary.zip
            > > >from revogear.com to the root as root user.
            > > >
            > > >Now...my linkstation doesn't boot to the OS and
            > > after a long while,
            > > >it'll blink the diag LED 6 times in a row.
            > >
            > > Have you tried running the LS setup program to see
            > > if it finds the
            > > Linkstation on the network? if it does this, you
            > > may have luck with
            > > the Buffalo official 1.44 updater which finds the
            > > Linkstation IIRC in
            > > the same way.
            > >
            > > Andrew.

            > All your favorites on one personal page � Try My
            > Yahoo!
            > http://my.yahoo.com

            > --------------------~-->
            > Toolbar.

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/O7EolB/TM

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • Wilson
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 4, 2004
              An update to my linkstation..

              After some researches, trial and errors..I seem get
              stuck in the EM mode where I can't do anything..

              So I finally opened my new LS and unplug the HD
              connector, to try to boot to EM mode again..but still
              no luck (can't ping to 192.168.11.250)

              So I'll now decide to take out the HD and put into a
              linux workstation...and try to recover the root
              partition...but the thing is...where I can download an
              original root partition image and use dd to copy them
              over? I think this seems to be the only way to fix
              it...

              I'll also try to get another old HD and clean off the
              partition tables..and see if it can boot to EM mode
              and be able to get 192.168.11.150 IP or not..

              Wilson

              http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
            • irvine_stock
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 5, 2004
                I swapped out my hard drive and upgraded to a 200GByte.
                I downloaded the partition info and all that.
                The web interface now works.
                I can telnet in just fine.
                Turned off DHCP and assigned the address to 192.168.1.12.
                I added gate way 192.168.1.1. Set the time correctly.
                But I can't see it from window XP anymore.
                It worked just fine before so I don't think its hardware.

                Any ideas?

                Rich
                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Wilson <sonsondei@y...>