Re: Setting up LinkStation FTP Access

  • simonashley
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 22, 2005
      I used this website for testing mine. It allows you to logon to your
      ftp server when inside the network.

      www.net2ftp.com

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "gouldyis"
      <gouldyis@y...> wrote:

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "wedes7711"
      <chris@a...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > I know that setting up my LinkStation 250 FTP server flor
      external
      > > access is possible, however I'm having a hair-tearing time
      trying
      > > get the external access part working. I've done all the 'normal'
      > things:
      > >
      > > LinkStation:
      > > 1) activated annon FTP access to a read/write unrestricted folder
      > > 2) assigned a static IP (192.168.1.3)to the LinkStation
      > > 3) entered the default gateway address of the router
      (192.168.1.1)
      > > into the IP setup
      > >
      > > Linksys WRT54GX router:
      > > 1) Forward port 21 to the LinkStation IP
      > > 2) Forwarded additional TCP ports (5000-5124) to the LS IP
      > >
      > > Results:
      > > 1) From inside my network, FTP access works fine
      > > 2) Using the external WAN IP, accessing FTP from outside tries
      very
      > > hard to work with the following results in the FTP client:
      > > "Connecting to 72.140.xxx.157"
      > > "Connected with 72.140.xxx.157. Waiting for welcome message"
      > > (long pause)
      > > "Disconnected from server. Unable to connect."
      > >
      > > I know that others have actually gotten this working, so does
      > anyone
      > > have any ideas as to what I'm missing here??
      >
      > I could never test or contact mine from 'inside' my network. You
      > have to try to contact it from outside the network, and are you
      sure
      > that your static IP is not within the range set for DHCP by your
      > router?

    • prezet2005
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 22, 2005
        You'll be able to ftp to the box from a computer on the network with the the internal ip
        address 192.186...etc, but to test the external IP you'll need to use a connection outside of
        your local lan.

        If you install openlink and tools, you will be able to hack around a few scripts to allow you
        to make additional ftp configuration settings. But this cannot be done on a stock
        machine.