Re: How to open an HD-HGLAN 250 GB ?

    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 21, 2005
      Here is my pictorial on the subject:

      http://wartstew.homelinux.net/linkstation/Disassembly.html

      Note however that most people take the time to peel the front label
      off and properly removing the front screws instead of ripping them
      out like I did (Hey I didn't know they were there at the time).

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Ugarit Ebla
      <ugaritebla@y...> wrote:

      > Thanks James. BTW, do you know how to open an
      > HD-HGLAN250GB? There is a pushable table on the
      > bottom and top. I push them and nothing seems to get
      > loose.
      >
      > --- James Ronald <jronald@c...> wrote:
      >
      > > Ugarit
      > >
      > > The term firmware is used very loosely in the
      > > Linkstation world (I think
      > > buffalo started it) and usually refers to all the
      > > software installed by the
      > > buffalo installer. You are correct the actual
      > > firmware is really just what
      > > resides in the flash memory. Also, I doubt that
      > > your firmware is the
      > > problem. If it is, you have what we call a brick or
      > > a door stop as there is
      > > really nothing you can do to fix it. I believe in
      > > your case, and most
      > > cases, the problem is most likely that software did
      > > not install correctly to
      > > the hard drive and deleting the partitions and
      > > reinstalling the software via
      > > the installer fixes the problem 99% of the time. In
      > > regard to installing
      > > Debian, I was just saying that so long as you have
      > > the case apart you may as
      > > well install debian and be done with it. Once you
      > > have Debian installed
      > > it's very easy to install any software packages you
      > > like. You also get to
      > > setup the partitions anyway you like.

    • Ugarit Ebla
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 22, 2005
        Thank you James and Simeon

        I found this one where the harddrive does not need to
        be removed

        http://linkstationwiki.org/Articles/GeneralDisassemble

        http://farechase.yahoo.com